• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Caldwell decision coming today.

Caldwell?

• Retained

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Fired

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy fuck this is exciting. Gentleman, place your bets (it's just an expression).

The Lions are expected to make a decision Sunday on whether to keep head coach Jim Caldwell.

Caldwell traveled back to Detroit this weekend to meet with new GM Bob Quinn. The Lions got off to a dismal 1-7 start but finished strong by winning six of their last eight games this season. Quinn was previously the director of pro scouting for the Patriots, which means he has ties to possible head coaching candidates Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia. Including a playoff loss to Dallas last year, Caldwell is 18-15 in his two seasons with Detroit.

Source: Detroit Free Press
Jan 10 - 8:31 AM

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he should be gone. But I think Quinn has kind of been told to keep him, and I don't think he has been given enough time to make that kind of decision himself yet. So I think Caldwell gets another year, mostly on the backs of his coordinators especially Jim Bob.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's time to move on, imo. Let the new GM hire his guys and not the coaching staff that Nancy Regan wishes or demands.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and hopefully this GM, next scouting staff and coaching staff could actually find the right players and develop them, for once, at a higher rate than what we've witnessed previously.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he should be gone. But I think Quinn has kind of been told to keep him, and I don't think he has been given enough time to make that kind of decision himself yet. So I think Caldwell gets another year, mostly on the backs of his coordinators especially Jim Bob.

This is what scares me most. If Caldwell stays, we all know it's because the Fords want him. That puts EVERY move by BQ in question. Every FA, every draft pick, every contract, everything. Is that BQ's decision or the Fords? That will be the question with every move.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what scares me most. If Caldwell stays, we all know it's because the Fords want him. That puts EVERY move by BQ in question. Every FA, every draft pick, every contract, everything. Is that BQ's decision or the Fords? That will be the question with every move.

I actually don't mind Quinn being quietly told to keep him. In fact if I was the owner of the team I would probably tell him the same, even though I think Caldwell deserves to be fired. I would tell him if he had a sure fire future HOF coach in his pocket that would come be HC now for us and was ready to put together a whole coaching staff, AND I knew he wouldn't be available next year, then bring him in now. Otherwise take a year to get your bearings, and 100% concentrate on getting the front office and scouting and all of that stuff right. It leaves you free to evaluate and make any coaching changes at any tine, rather than being locked in with a new coach.

There are other GM's who came in and did the evaluation thing for a year before hiring their own coach in year 2. I don't think it automatically makes him just a mouthpiece for the old bag. Anyways that's just e wsy i seetit going.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't mind Quinn being quietly told to keep him. In fact if I was the owner of the team I would probably tell him the same, even though I think Caldwell deserves to be fired. I would tell him if he had a sure fire future HOF coach in his pocket that would come be HC now for us and was ready to put together a whole coaching staff, AND I knew he wouldn't be available next year, then bring him in now. Otherwise take a year to get your bearings, and 100% concentrate on getting the front office and scouting and all of that stuff right. It leaves you free to evaluate and make any coaching changes at any tine, rather than being locked in with a new coach.

There are other GM's who came in and did the evaluation thing for a year before hiring their own coach in year 2. I don't think it automatically makes him just a mouthpiece for the old bag. Anyways that's just e wsy i seetit going.

Not sure if McD (or anyone) is a sure fire HOF coach, but I'm sure BQ has/had his own plans in place for when the opportunity came. I don't think you take or accept a GM job without a vision.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just wondering.

No reason for me to have any faith in Quin knowing the right hire either. Not like he's hiring tHoody here.

14 years with New England, I'd imagine he deserves more trust than anyone in house here.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 years with New England, I'd imagine he deserves more trust than anyone in house here.
Egh, not really.

He's a chowderhead, born n raised, who went to work for his favorite team right out of college. He doesn't draft anyone, he doesn't make trades, he doesn't hire anyone, he's not a coach. He's the Lions GM. And he's never been with an organization that's hired a coach. No reason for me to trust he's good at that. Other than blind faith in Martha and Mr. wood hiring the "right" guy. Which isn't the case for me.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Egh, not really.

He's a chowderhead, born n raised, who went to work for his favorite team right out of college. He doesn't draft anyone, he doesn't make trades, he doesn't hire anyone, he's not a coach. He's the Lions GM. And he's never been with an organization that's hired a coach. No reason for me to trust he's good at that. Other than blind faith in Martha and Mr. wood hiring the "right" guy. Which isn't the case for me.

He knows this league 100x better than anyone during Mayhew's reign.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks. You saved me a post, and you said it better than I would have.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A vote for Caldwell is a vote for Mayhew as far as I'm concerned. Do you guys really think BQ doesn't have a plan in place?

Who was the last first time GM to get a job and keep the current HC? Seems like it'd be rare.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. You saved me a post, and you said it better than I would have.

Caldwell doesn't seem like the type of man to play puppet for one year. I'm sure he has plans for himself and his family that don't include dangling in the wind.