• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bulls should have extended Jimmy Butler!

ChiTownCliff

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I know it is still early in the season, but with Rose on and off the hardwood, I think it is safe to say that Jimmy has become the Bulls best player. He was always a solid defender going back to his rookie season, but he now has to be a top ten defender in the league and perhaps top 3 on the perimeter. The thing that was holding him back was offense and the ability to create. Well... that appears to be an issue of the past. I am truly shocked at how much his game has improved this season.

At this pace I think he will make the Allstar team and all-defensive team. The Bulls could have wrapped him up in a longterm contract for about 12m a year (that was the rumored asking price). Hindsight is 20/20, but it sure looks like he will be getting a lot of big offers this upcoming offseason. He says he wants to stay in Chicago and I hope the Bulls can make that happen, because Jimmy looks like a real superstar in the making with room to still grow.

Here are his stats so far this season (9 games in)

21.3ppg 6.2rpg 3.9apg 1.4spg while shooting over 50% from the floor.

Am I just an overzealous Bulls fan or do the Bulls have a legit rising star here that can truly take pressure off of Rose and the Bulls and make them a true contender?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's looking legit.
Let's see him do it for the full season and playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler shot poorly last season, and that could have been because of a thumb injury he had IIRC. The Bulls don't really have any other wing defender at the moment who's good enough to see the floor so I don't see how they let him go...they are just going to have to pony up more if his offense keeps up.
They gave Taj $8 million per year extension a couple years ago. I think Butler is worth at least $12 compared to that based on more upside and versatility!

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cliffy good to hear from ya

No opinion yet, but I will be watching the next week or so.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may have to offer him more than money.:yahoo:

jimmy-butler-t-shirt.jpeg

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He plays a lot better when Rose isn't in the game. I've noticed that this season.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I'm confident saying having followed Jimmy since his first year at Marquette: I don't think he'll get complacent once he does get paid.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy smokes, it's Cliff. Where ya been?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Butler is pretty underrated. He's improved every year and now that he's a legit scoring threat he could be getting max money from someone... his defense alone is extremely valuable.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw an article that mentioned NBA Execs around the league stating they would be willing to max contract him.

The bulls screwed the pooch the minute they were unwilling to give him Kemba Walker money. Now they will have to match higher money.

And the more Rose sits out and drains your pocket that way, the more Jimmy will also drain it. Because as stated, he EATS with Rose on the bench.

ChiTownCliff

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello old friends! I have been lurking and posting once in a while! Always good to see the old CBS crew still hanging around!

I do think if Jimmy hold steady at this pace that he will be able to get close to max money and that sucks as a Bulls fan. The Bulls are quite deep and i would love to see them be able to keep this core together. Lots of promise in some of the younger guys like Jimmy, McDermott, Mirotic, and even Snell. The Bulls strongly need to consider life without Rose or a life with a broken Rose. Keeping Jimmy would keep them in the mix. If they would have signed him longterm to 12m a season, they would have been able to build around this core with Noah and Gibson in the mix. They would have been able to keep adding another star player like they did with Gasol. But if Jimmy gets close to 20m and they still have Rose on the books with a max deal, then they will be strapped.

ChiTownCliff

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contract year effort?

I do not think this is the case. If he had been around a few more years and was suddenly have a great season, then this could be the case, but if you take a look at his career stats you will see steady growth. I think he is a hard working kid that is just coming into his own. I am not sure what his ceiling is, but even with the stats he has thus far, coupled with being a great defender, makes his a very easy-to-like player with rising star power.

Honestly, I do not see him becoming an elite scorer, but he could have a season averaging 25ppg. This depends on what is built around him. "IF" Rose ever is healthy again, Butler's numbers will drop a bit. Honestly though, I think Butler has more value than a healthy rose do to his size and defense. Also, there are a ton of decent PG to be had in this league that can get the job done. There are not a lot of elite SG that play well on both ends.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with BKS cliffy , stick around

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think this is the case. If he had been around a few more years and was suddenly have a great season, then this could be the case, but if you take a look at his career stats you will see steady growth. I think he is a hard working kid that is just coming into his own. I am not sure what his ceiling is, but even with the stats he has thus far, coupled with being a great defender, makes his a very easy-to-like player with rising star power.

Honestly, I do not see him becoming an elite scorer, but he could have a season averaging 25ppg. This depends on what is built around him. "IF" Rose ever is healthy again, Butler's numbers will drop a bit. Honestly though, I think Butler has more value than a healthy rose do to his size and defense. Also, there are a ton of decent PG to be had in this league that can get the job done. There are not a lot of elite SG that play well on both ends.

Excellent post....I don't know you from Adam but you need to post more.....maybe it will rub off on some of the dumber commenters and they'll learn something.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree, Butler's a good player.