• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bullpen games: our killer app?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know these newfangled planned bullpen no starter games are annoying but it seems like they work REALLY well for the Giants. The pen is easily their biggest weapon, why not make that the 'starter' for 2 out of 5? If you got a bunch of guys who can go 2-4 innings why not mix and match to create a virtual starter?

21st century schizoid man, man

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know these newfangled planned bullpen no starter games are annoying but it seems like they work REALLY well for the Giants. The pen is easily their biggest weapon, why not make that the 'starter' for 2 out of 5? If you got a bunch of guys who can go 2-4 innings why not mix and match to create a virtual starter?

21st century schizoid man, man
They work because the Giants staff, light on regular SP, has something no other ML team has:

Bulk relievers who are good. Junis, Beck, Hjelle, Manaea can all go 4-5 innings in relief.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a romantic baseball fan, I don’t like the concept of an opener. But that is really only because of the narrative. I think I acknowledge that strategically, it is the superior play.

without declaring your starting/bulk guy, the opposing team is less able to stack their lineup. It is roster management at it’s apex.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a romantic baseball fan, I don’t like the concept of an opener. But that is really only because of the narrative. I think I acknowledge that strategically, it is the superior play.

without declaring your starting/bulk guy, the opposing team is less able to stack their lineup. It is roster management at it’s apex.
I guess so...