• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buddy Nix steps down as Bills' GM

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an unusual time for him to step down IMO. I haven't been a fan of any of his drafts. All though I loved CJ Spiller as a prospect I thought it was dumb for them to take him where they did. I do like the Robert Woods pick, though. They still have to fix that Defense.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Throw the book at them, hope both of them get 2 yrs minimum. That is a pretty serious law they broke if you care about privacy and liberty... plus it cost a few people their jobs.

Is this some kind of subtle sarcasm? Fascinating.......it was a great prank and they should be praised, not jailed! "Federal wiretapping charges"....sheesh. People who lost their jobs were nincompoops, the GM a dinosaur, this whole episode exposed how naive and old-timey that operation was.

We used to make prank calls all the time, but technology has not only taken the fun out of it but actually made it dangerous. Last time I made one was in college in the late 90s....and woke up the next morning to the police knocking on my door. Stupid progress.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't understand what the illegal part was. Recording the conversation? Is that illegal in Massachusetts?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this some kind of subtle sarcasm? Fascinating.......it was a great prank and they should be praised, not jailed! "Federal wiretapping charges"....sheesh. People who lost their jobs were nincompoops, the GM a dinosaur, this whole episode exposed how naive and old-timey that operation was.

We used to make prank calls all the time, but technology has not only taken the fun out of it but actually made it dangerous. Last time I made one was in college in the late 90s....and woke up the next morning to the police knocking on my door. Stupid progress.

Yeah it was, the charges over an NFL conversation are ridiculous, 5 years in prison for a prank that just embarrassed 2 men??? Its not like this was a national security issue, or some kind of scheme where a business tapped phone lines to gain insider access of a rival.

you know, the type of things the law was intended to protect...

this is just two kids fooling around and not even expecting to get results, to go after them is just silly.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it was, the charges over an NFL conversation are ridiculous, 5 years in prison for a prank that just embarrassed 2 men??? Its not like this was a national security issue, or some kind of scheme where a business tapped phone lines to gain insider access of a rival.

you know, the type of things the law was intended to protect...

this is just two kids fooling around and not even expecting to get results, to go after them is just silly.

But then they had to cut their franchise QB because of what was leaked... :kidding: This was Tennessee's fault, they wanted Fitz. ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two plead not guilty in prank on Buddy Nix, Mark Dominik - ESPN

Weird way to try to get a tryout (don't believe it, just adding it):

The two 20-year-olds from Plymouth, Mass., had been angling for an NFL tryout for Barber, a part-time deli worker, when they posed as Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik in March and dialed Buffalo Bills then-GM Buddy Nix, according to the criminal complaint.

Barber, a Bills fan, got nervous when Nix answered, so Barber hung up, investigators said. Barber then called Dominik's office and while he was being connected, Nix called Barber's number back, thinking he had been disconnected from Dominik, authorities said.

Barber used the call merge function on his iPhone to connect the two GMs and put them on speaker phone, investigators said. Kaiser used his cellphone to record the ensuing nearly six-minute conversation, according to the complaint.

Barber and Kaiser could not have planned the prank, Kaiser's attorney Rodney Personius said, noting the "perfect storm" of Nix calling back while Dominik was on the line.

"It wasn't an intentional or premeditated act," Personius said.

"Mr. Barber is of the belief he has the skills to play in the NFL," Personius said, "and was endeavoring to get the attention of Mr. Nix to get a tryout."

Barber and Kaiser had in the past called the New York Islanders and Montreal Canadiens of the NHL, as well as the NBA's Denver Nuggets and Dallas Mavericks and other teams trying to secure tryouts, the criminal complaint said.

Kaiser works for a moving company and plans to join the Coast Guard, the lawyer said.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how they don't explain, how, if it was a mistake it was given to Deadspin for money, supposedly. Hmm... Well, our tryout didn't work, but look at what they said.

I can't shake my image of two scrawny to average guys claiming this, despite the fact they'd probably have to be bigger sized people to claim this. I don't believe them, though.