• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bryzgalov...wine...dine...get him signed...

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to sure Bro, Maybe. It's hard to speculate cause for some reason the team responded to Leighton being in net. Not saying Bryz isn't an upgrade but I want elite not upgrade, I wanna know what his it factor is? Is not Vokoun a better upgrade than Bryz?

Who do you consider elite? Also, are any of those elite goaltenders available? They're extremely hard to come by...and even then they don't guarantee you a Cup (ahem Luongo).

I think Bryz is just as solid as Vokoun...just younger.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elite goalies dont get moved. (Not easily anyway)

Lundy, Luongo, Thomas, Marty during his time

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BroadStreetHockey-

•Word on the street is that Bryzgalov wants a 5 or 6 year deal, but that the Flyers want a 7 or 8 year deal. You know, to drive the cap hit down. Because long-term deals fix everything:

NO. NO. NO.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, BSH made me sad. They are writing about how bad this could be. It hurts

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you consider elite? Also, are any of those elite goaltenders available? They're extremely hard to come by...and even then they don't guarantee you a Cup (ahem Luongo).

I think Bryz is just as solid as Vokoun...just younger.

I never thought Loungo was elite, to sporadic. There really are no Roy or Marty's around anymore, Niemi would have been a good pick up or Rinne, I'm not saying Bryz wont be a good pick up but I'll reserve judgement for next year, IF they even sign him.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broad Street Hockey - For Philadelphia Flyers Fans

... and the kid had his own roller coaster, for f**k's sake. He had a MCDONALDS IN HIS HOUSE.

Seriously, this is going to hurt us a lot more than it hurts Ilya Bryzgalov.

The goaltender wants a lot of money and the Flyers are clearly willing to give him that money, or else they wouldn't have thrown away two draft picks in order to acquire his rights. And as we all know, the Flyers have the salary cap room equal to the money in my bank account, which is to say they don't have much room at all.

Our own Teemu mentioned on Twitter today that it's looking like Bryzgalov wants a five or six year deal, and that the Flyers want to make it seven or eight years to get the cap hit below $6 million.

Yes, that's $6 million per year. Yes, that sucks a whole lot. It's what they have to do to get the guy in orange and black, but as we've been over a thousand times, it's not worth it. The length of the assumed contract is just another reason why this shouldn't happen.

We know all too well the clutches that come with long-term contracts. Chris Pronger is the most obvious example, and that hurts because it's a 35-plus contract, but just look at the Flyers roster. Pronger, Danny Briere, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards all on lengthy deals. Might as well throw Claude Giroux and James van Riemsdyk on the list too, since there's almost no doubt the Flyers fail to lock them up for life (or close to it). Giroux's already in the Flyers control through 2014, and almost definitely beyond -- if the Flyers have any more money to give him in 2014, that is.

That's a lot of money tied up in a a very small number of players, and frankly, the Flyers can't afford to do it any more than they already have. I don't need to list reasons for you. You already know why.

If you're going to pay a goaltender $6 million a year, it's not wise to lock yourself into that hefty salary for a billion years. Not when you're in the position the Flyers are in -- without prospects, without draft picks, without cheap talent to fill out the roster. It's great that the Flyers could still have all those stud players in five years, but uh, they can't do it by themselves.

It's just foolish.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if there was anyway that i could do something that the flyers would not like, i swear to god i'll do that if they sign bryz to more than 5 years

7 or 8 years!?

if homer actually wants that he should be fired on the spot.

i'm crying at the thought of it.. right now.. there's tears dripping on my keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if there was anyway that i could do something that the flyers would not like, i swear to god i'll do that if they sign bryz to more than 5 years

7 or 8 years!?

if homer actually wants that he should be fired on the spot.

I agree, Homer can't be that stupid, I was starting to like him but some of the decision making is making me scratch my head. When does Versteeg leave?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Homer can't be that stupid, I was starting to like him but some of the decision making is making me scratch my head. When does Versteeg leave?

even further proof they shouldn't do that.. aside from lundqvist and broduer who has been a stud goalie for the past 5 years?

goalies don't stay good for 8 fuckin years.. christ homer please no!

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You realize that we've had more sustained success under Homer than the last 20 years of Clarke's reign, right? People constantly bitch about the way he does business, but the man gets results.

If we win the cup next year, I couldn't care less what our cap situation in 2012-13 is. I'd gladly take 4-5 years of mediocrity for a single championship.

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize that we've had more sustained success under Homer than the last 20 years of Clarke's reign, right? People constantly bitch about the way he does business, but the man gets results.

If we win the cup next year, I couldn't care less what our cap situation in 2012-13 is. I'd gladly take 4-5 years of mediocrity for a single championship.

Umm yea he's been okay so far, better than Clarke, but his results haven't won us a cup yet. Besides he hasn't had sufficient time to screw shit up yet, lol. We'll see, if it get's done Homer will be credited accordingly.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

interesting take..

since you said last 20 years, we'll start in 94-95

95 - Conf. Finals
96 - Semi Finals
97 - Cup Finals

98 - Quarters
99 - Quarters
00 - Conf.
01 - Quarters
02 - Quarters
03 - Semis
04 - Conf.
05 - Lockout
06 - Quarters

since homer only has his first 3 years under his belt (we'll exclude the lost season).. i'd say clarkie is right there.. and that doesn't take into account the 2 cup finals he GM'ed them to in the 80s

i suppose you're thinking in the cap era, which would change my opinion a good amount.. but even still, clarke had a bad strategy, and these crazy contracts are a bad strategy too IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even further proof they shouldn't do that.. aside from lundqvist and broduer who has been a stud goalie for the past 5 years?

goalies don't stay good for 8 fuckin years.. christ homer please no!

To be honest I think Rinne could be very good for a lot of years, unfortunately he wont be coming to Philly.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus I hope Homer knows how to pull out