• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bryce Salvador retires

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scary stuff. Aside from the past 2 seasons Bryce was as solid a player as you could ask for. He was Mr. Consistent for us and was our best defender during the 2012 cup run. Concussions are a scary thing and you know there are countless other players that are going through this same thing.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's one of the best hockey reads I've ever seen. Funny how many on here, myself included, tongue and cheek, said that Bryce wasn't hurt, and was doing the cap strapped Devils a huge favor. All that was only exacerbated by Lou's level of secrecy. That secrecy now seems like such a virtue for a guy like Bryce who was obviously going through some seriously scary times. Big respect for Sal. He was a beast in that playoff run and almost got us there.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryane Clowe also done. For some reason his cap hit still counts. What gives?

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ryane Clowe also done. For some reason his cap hit still counts. What gives?

He signed before 35,as far as I'm aware there are three scenarios.

A -- Clowe Retires: If he does this, his cap hit disappears, and he doesn't get paid the $15M he is still owed.
B -- Clowe Stays as Is: He won't play, is technically on IR (I think), and get's paid-- his money and cap hit counts.
C -- Clowe is on LTIR: He still gets paid, and his cap hit DOES NOT count.

Notes:
- Devils aren't close to the cap this season, so since they're going to pay him either way, it doesn't matter if his cap counts or not.
- If the Devils were extremely close to the floor they would want to keep his Cap Hit to ensure they were over it.
- If the Devils become a cap team in the next few years, they can move Clowe to LTIR (Like how Boston did with Savard, and Philly did with Pronger) to get under the cap.

Finally, it doesn't really matter where we put him this season, AT THE MOMENT. There is still the flexibility so he won't hurt the Devils cap down the road. Also, there are some unconfirmed rumors that the Devils were able to get Clowe's contract insured, so the Devils aren't going to pay him the Real dollars.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think insurance is paying a good portion of his salary. It's pretty insane that Lou gave him that contract if he had to get that massive type of insurance policy to go with it. Yeah give that type of contract to a injury risk player who can score 50 goals. Not to some type of grinder