• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bruce Arians: Football is being attacked by moms

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce certainly has become a lot more outspoken since he became a HC, but he's just trying to protect the game. Football reportedly has fewer concussions than Lacrosse but parents are flocking to that sport at the grade school level mostly out of ignorance.
Where did you find this bit of information?

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"No, you're wrong. He's actually very clever and cute. And hip too. And a greeeeeeeeat football coach!" - Cardinals fans

Don't stereotype! I think Arians sounded like a douche when he came out with that comment. I get why people find him irritating. He's our coach so I support him on the field, but I'd be fine if he stepped away from the mic a bit more.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't stereotype! I think Arians sounded like a douche when he came out with that comment. I get why people find him irritating. He's our coach so I support him on the field, but I'd be fine if he stepped away from the mic a bit more.
Obviously he has an issue knowing when to shut his yapper. At least it makes for good hate-bait.

As long as the team continues to win... :kissass:

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously he has an issue knowing when to shut his yapper. At least it makes for good hate-bait.

As long as the team continues to win... :kissass:

Very true! You get a lot more leeway when you're winning.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the history of American football, I don't think there has ever been a time in the sports history where it hasn't been scrutinized by the public for its safety. The CTE problem definitely doesn't help, but considering what football has gone through I'm optimistic that it will figure a way to minimize concussion and become a safer sport.

Interesting read on how Teddy Roosevelt saved football: The president who saved football - CNN.com

In the link above, it just shows even back in the early 1900's the public's view on football was far worse than it ever was today.

As for Arians, what do we really expect him to say? I'm sure many coaches and management are concerned and feel their careers/livelihoods are threatened. Even before the concussion issues, Mothers have always been hesitant to let their sons play football.

Well if he's going to put it on himself to represent the entire sport then he should probably be a little more diplomatic about it. And the ironic thing about it is that a lot of the guys in the league had absentee fathers.

Dude's an idiot when it comes to social commentary. He obviously knows football but that's about it.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That remark by Arians will haunt him. He just made a lot of enemies.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you find this bit of information?

Didn't find it...boss', our IT guy also coaches Lacrosse for a local HS team and is the know all, be all about Lacrosse.

I'm kidding about the know all part, but he's from New England, heavily into Lacrosse, played in college, instrumental in getting youth Lacrosse programs off the ground here a decade ago...he told me he's surprised to see as many kids flocking to that sport because of the concussion concern, when Lacrosse reportedly has as many or more concussion cases.

He said reportedly, which is what I conveyed...where it was reported...idk to be honest.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't find it...boss', our IT guy also coaches Lacrosse for a local HS team and is the know all, be all about Lacrosse.

I'm kidding about the know all part, but he's from New England, heavily into Lacrosse, played in college, instrumental in getting youth Lacrosse programs off the ground here a decade ago...he told me he's surprised to see as many kids flocking to that sport because of the concussion concern, when Lacrosse reportedly has as many or more concussion cases.

He said reportedly, which is what I conveyed...where it was reported...idk to be honest.
Not trying to be an asshole, but...

"Lacrosse trails only football in terms of concussion risk, with 6.9 reported for every 10,000 athletic exposures, according to the 2012 NAS study."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...football-soccer-lacrosse-basketball/15037213/

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be an asshole, but...

"Lacrosse trails only football in terms of concussion risk, with 6.9 reported for every 10,000 athletic exposures, according to the 2012 NAS study."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...football-soccer-lacrosse-basketball/15037213/

Not at all...Admittedly, I don't know much about Lacrosse...Thanks for the link...it dispels the "as many as football", in general I think he's right about it being more than people realize.