• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

browns week.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm down with that. Maybe not a full on no-huddle, but just more up-tempo. I like it.

Again - spread them out and make the defense decide what they are going to defend. If the Bengals are going 3-4 wide, Chase, Higgins, All/Gesicki and Brown in the backfield...either someone is open, or there is enough room up front for Brown to get you 5 yards. It'll also freeze the LB's and Safeties knowing that they *could* run the ball....
Maybe on one play they rush to t he line of scrimmage, get a play off right away, then rush to the line of scrimmage, call a play, read the defense, make the defensive lineman sit in their stance a bit, then run he play, maybe do that again, but call two plays at the line of scrimmage as it looks like an audible, but it is two plays, so once this one is over, run back to the line of scrimmage and get ready for a quick snap to catch the defense off guard. This way you have a set of plays for a certain personnel on the field that you can run in this series, not only confuse the defense with alignments, for same personnel, but Burrow is in shotgun, he is under center, snap counts, hurry up offense but unpredictable if the snap is occurring immediately or a delay to adjust play call at line of scrimmage. Start confusing the shit out of defenses, don't let them get a rhythm or subs. Get them tired as shit in the first half so when they come back from halftime they are already half beat. Or at least that would be the goal, but that means conditioning for offense.

Kind of like how the Ravens tore us apart in the second half and our defense couldn't stop anything. They were wore out, they were already beaten and the Ravens offense just marched at will pretty much.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine having an entire offseason where you look in the mirror and determine that your team needs to fix it's issues with divisional opponents. I would have to think that Cleveland would be near the top of the list on things that we need to address and fix. You show up for this game with your entire offense ready to go - We can quibble about who was actually supposed to start at RT, but I think we all agree that Mims is a starter. And this is what you get? For the most part, their effort looked no different than it did in the rain for week 1 of last season.... And that is with Myles Garrett playing at about 75% at best.

What is really telling is what happened in the second half. It looked to me that the Bengals schemed some things to protect Cody Ford on the left side of the line. It was clear that they wanted to get some more quick passes and those designs led directly to the two touchdowns. There was also more misdirection in the run game. The offense has been more dynamic at times this year, but it has looked stale the last two weeks until they were forced into scheming around a deficiency.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that everyone has agreed that Burton is immature. So was Randy Moss. Put the dude out there. His speed and playmaking ability will add another element to the passing game, particularly on a day when guys aren't getting open.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last point I'll make about the passing game is this - If Burrow isn't going to pass it to Gesicki, it's time to take him out of the game. He really doesn't offer anything outside of the passing game. His height and athleticism make him a match-up issue in the middle of the field, but your have to throw him the ball to realize it. There were at least 2 plays yesterday, that Burrow could have had Gesicki and he flat out ignored him. I'm not sure whether there is a trust issue there after he didn't come through on a few things earlier this year, but it's an issue if we don't pass to him because he can't block a lick.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last point I'll make about the passing game is this - If Burrow isn't going to pass it to Gesicki, it's time to take him out of the game. He really doesn't offer anything outside of the passing game. His height and athleticism make him a match-up issue in the middle of the field, but your have to throw him the ball to realize it. There were at least 2 plays yesterday, that Burrow could have had Gesicki and he flat out ignored him. I'm not sure whether there is a trust issue there after he didn't come through on a few things earlier this year, but it's an issue if we don't pass to him because he can't block a lick.
I think the Bengals have moved on to All for the most part based on playing time.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine having an entire offseason where you look in the mirror and determine that your team needs to fix it's issues with divisional opponents. I would have to think that Cleveland would be near the top of the list on things that we need to address and fix. You show up for this game with your entire offense ready to go - We can quibble about who was actually supposed to start at RT, but I think we all agree that Mims is a starter. And this is what you get? For the most part, their effort looked no different than it did in the rain for week 1 of last season.... And that is with Myles Garrett playing at about 75% at best.

What is really telling is what happened in the second half. It looked to me that the Bengals schemed some things to protect Cody Ford on the left side of the line. It was clear that they wanted to get some more quick passes and those designs led directly to the two touchdowns. There was also more misdirection in the run game. The offense has been more dynamic at times this year, but it has looked stale the last two weeks until they were forced into scheming around a deficiency.
I'm going to beat this dead horse....

You are not wrong on changing things up - but I will point out, again, that in the 2nd half -they actually ran the ball. Now, it wasn't with huge success...but they finished with 21 runs by the RB's after posting 3 in the first half. Even if 4-5-6 of those came in the "killing the clock" stage of the game - they moved the ball enough to get a FG attempt out of it (and should be made, IMO). They put up, what should have been 17 points in the 2nd half.

As you said - some things changed scheming to protect, but they also balanced out the offense which allowed them more 1-1 opportunities in the passing game. Higgins took advantage of that on several big catches, and CHases' TD was 1-1 as well. When LBs and Safeties have to start worrying about the run, even a little - it can really open things up.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
zach moss
mike gisecki

all the hype about how they were better for our offense, turns out to be just that. hype.
I think moss was ok at blocking in the beginning, but he's basically not been much help the last few weeks. I think I've seen 2 back sets where he's been useful.

the gisecki experiment seems to be a total disappointment. what was the point in that?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
zach moss
mike gisecki

all the hype about how they were better for our offense, turns out to be just that. hype.
I think moss was ok at blocking in the beginning, but he's basically not been much help the last few weeks. I think I've seen 2 back sets where he's been useful.

the gisecki experiment seems to be a total disappointment. what was the point in that?
Moss has been below average.

Gesicki had some really solid plays early on - but then I think he made a few mistakes and it seems like Joe just hasn't been pulling the trigger on him - I thought he was open a few times on Sunday, and Joe just never dialed in on him...strange because it felt like he was targeting the TE's quite often earlier in the season...

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moss has been below average.

Gesicki had some really solid plays early on - but then I think he made a few mistakes and it seems like Joe just hasn't been pulling the trigger on him - I thought he was open a few times on Sunday, and Joe just never dialed in on him...strange because it felt like he was targeting the TE's quite often earlier in the season...
yea, they want eric all jr to kinda ascend to the #1, tanner hudson coming back too. also, it seems that they trust the WRs to score in the end zone, including iosivas, so a TE who specializes in pass catching really isn't a good fit for our offense at all.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, they want eric all jr to kinda ascend to the #1, tanner hudson coming back too. also, it seems that they trust the WRs to score in the end zone, including iosivas, so a TE who specializes in pass catching really isn't a good fit for our offense at all.
Yeah, which is weird because Joe should be able to utilize that - but I have noticed - teams have started playing less cover 2 - and I do wonder if the early targets to the TE has helped to change that...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, which is weird because Joe should be able to utilize that - but I have noticed - teams have started playing less cover 2 - and I do wonder if the early targets to the TE has helped to change that...
Once we lose Higgins next year, the offense will change to the more two TE sets I think, and then I think a pass catching TE can be used more, but I think the Bengals prefer the hybrids, good pass catchers and good blockers. Both All and McLachlan are both really good hybrid TE's. McLachlan was actually a higher rated pass blocker than All was in college, but he is also good with the ball in his hands. I am thinking those two guys are probably the future of the position for the Bengals. They keep defenses honest, because they can be used for various sets and utilized in the play more dynamically. McLachlan is down the depth charts right now because of the numbers at TE, but they know his value which is why they are protecting him on the roster rather than the practice squad.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once we lose Higgins next year, the offense will change to the more two TE sets I think, and then I think a pass catching TE can be used more, but I think the Bengals prefer the hybrids, good pass catchers and good blockers. Both All and McLachlan are both really good hybrid TE's. McLachlan was actually a higher rated pass blocker than All was in college, but he is also good with the ball in his hands. I am thinking those two guys are probably the future of the position for the Bengals. They keep defenses honest, because they can be used for various sets and utilized in the play more dynamically. McLachlan is down the depth charts right now because of the numbers at TE, but they know his value which is why they are protecting him on the roster rather than the practice squad.
I agree - the angle all along has been to find a TE that can block and catch...and I think they have one in All for sure, and the other guy shows a lot of promise. The future at TE is looking good.

I also agree that it will have diversify the offense in terms of run/pass/blocker or catcher....bigger question for me will be - will Taylor set the offense up that way? I guess we'll find out...

But, also - don't forget about Burton - chances are - he's going to ascend to Higgins' spot...if he can develop like we all hope - and he has talent - you still end up with 2 WR's who are going to get the ball...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree - the angle all along has been to find a TE that can block and catch...and I think they have one in All for sure, and the other guy shows a lot of promise. The future at TE is looking good.

I also agree that it will have diversify the offense in terms of run/pass/blocker or catcher....bigger question for me will be - will Taylor set the offense up that way? I guess we'll find out...

But, also - don't forget about Burton - chances are - he's going to ascend to Higgins' spot...if he can develop like we all hope - and he has talent - you still end up with 2 WR's who are going to get the ball...
I think we are set up. The cupboards are not bare for sure. I think Burton is that guy that eventually emerges, but I really like our little corp of WR's. We all saw how important Higgins was to Chase's production. If Chase is having to be doubled all game long, I think his production at $35 million is going to be terrible. Grated, he will be the most highly paid decoy in the NFL allowing everyone else on offense to succeed. Question is, how does that affect his ego and his potential running of his mouth if his numbers are not being met because of that?

However, with the talent, and people they are putting around Burrow, that offense can be very good for a long time, but it may require some play calling and scheme changes to accommodate the various skills of the weapons around Burrow. If they keep trying to shove a square peg in a round hole, this shit will be useless.