• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

browns week.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Goodberry said it wouldn't happen - and it's certainly not the Bengals MO...and the cap hit makes it necessary to re-work a deal, and actually pay him...

But I would explore a trade for Max Crosby. That would immediately vault this defense into another tier. Suddenly, I think the DL goes from ho-hum to - Very good because now with 2 pass-rushers, you suddenly can allow the DT's to do what they need to do - and unleash Trey and Max together. Also helps the backend defense.

He's 27. I think he has 2-3 more years on his current deal, but would likely want a new deal, and it would be needed to get the cap down for this year (if that's even possible with a restructure).

Not the Bengals MO - again - but it is something I would look into....heavily.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you get up early - you force the game into Watson's hands, and help the defense by making their offense very one-dimensional in an area that has been very poor to date.

This is going to show us a bit more about the defense. Sunday Night was a step in the right direction, but bigger to me is this week and a game like the Raiders - where the defense should be able to dominate the majority of the game against a very poor offense. If those offenses move the ball and put up points - there are bigger issues at hand. Everyone is healthy. Everyone is back (except Hill who is out for the year). No more excuses. Lou needs to figure out a way to get it done.

On the bright side - McKinley and Jenkins have both looked to be very good. As the season progresses - I do expect them to be better and help that DL. Rankins, obviously helps...but they still need more pass-rush outside of Trey. Got to find a way to make it happen. Once again, Hendrickson had 2 sacks - no one else had a single sack, or shared sack. This is a major issue.
Need more time for Murphy to get his feet under him. I like Hubbard and think he has a place on this team, but on critical rush downs we need to get Murphy out there and do more stunts and CB, or safety blitz off the edge. Lou needs to design more exotic blitz packages to confuse the offense.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need more time for Murphy to get his feet under him. I like Hubbard and think he has a place on this team, but on critical rush downs we need to get Murphy out there and do more stunts and CB, or safety blitz off the edge. Lou needs to design more exotic blitz packages to confuse the offense.
I agree.

Lou isn't much of a blitz guy - but I think with this personnel he needs to re-consider. He doesn't need to get crazy, but they do need to come up with some looks and packages that can help free up the DL and get more pressure. You can line up 7 on the line and back 1 or 2 guys out, you can send 6 and another time send 4....

But far more often than not - even on critical downs - you see just 4 guys rushing, and the LB's in read/react mode...which works if those 4 get pressure...without it - they get eaten alive - and that's what has been happening.

It's even hard to tell just how good/bad the DB's are at times because QB's have 3-4-5 seconds to throw. Eventually, someone is getting open.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Goodberry said it wouldn't happen - and it's certainly not the Bengals MO...and the cap hit makes it necessary to re-work a deal, and actually pay him...

But I would explore a trade for Max Crosby. That would immediately vault this defense into another tier. Suddenly, I think the DL goes from ho-hum to - Very good because now with 2 pass-rushers, you suddenly can allow the DT's to do what they need to do - and unleash Trey and Max together. Also helps the backend defense.

He's 27. I think he has 2-3 more years on his current deal, but would likely want a new deal, and it would be needed to get the cap down for this year (if that's even possible with a restructure).

Not the Bengals MO - again - but it is something I would look into....heavily.
Why would we rework the contract? The Raiders are stuck for the guarantee pretty much. Offer the Raiders a 2nd and 5th round pick, and trade someone costing us $10 million plus. Next year Higgins comes off the bill and I am sure a couple others. We could afford him the next two years. Makes it much more affordable if we don't rework the contract.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would we rework the contract? The Raiders are stuck for the guarantee pretty much. Offer the Raiders a 2nd and 5th round pick, and trade someone costing us $10 million plus. Next year Higgins comes off the bill and I am sure a couple others. We could afford him the next two years. Makes it much more affordable if we don't rework the contract.
New team takes on 16M, per Goodberry. That would put the Bengals over the slot.

So, a new contract would have to be had in order to reduce the amount owed this year - a new contract and turning this year into a bonus payment would allow them to pay out the $16M but spread that over the life of the contract....so, they could take a $6M hit this year, and then spread the final $12M over the next 3 years...

I believe this was the issue - but if you read differently - let me know.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So - I disagree with Joe - it can be done - I don't think it takes mountains to get done.

The Bengals are set to have $66M in cap space next year - Chase will take a chunk, but that leaves a TON of room.

You can either sweeten the pot to the Raiders to eat more of the salary (higher picks to trade) or simply make the changes needed.

Issue, likely, comes down to just how much do the Bengals want to spend on a DE - I'd say, that's a premium position in a passing league. Trey is here for 1 more year, and then what? He'll be 30-31ish. Dealing for Max gives you a sure DE to help replace him, and over the next 2 years - team up with him to form a hell of a tandem at DE

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after thinking about this a bit, if the player is available, like Crosby. the bengals would simply just get outbid by another team that is more confident in their chances to contend.

the deal seems out of charachter for the Bengals, but players like this are hard to come by and we SHOULD do it now, rather than trying to find a deal in free agency next season or get lucky and draft a player. probably won't though.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after thinking about this a bit, if the player is available, like Crosby. the bengals would simply just get outbid by another team that is more confident in their chances to contend.

the deal seems out of charachter for the Bengals, but players like this are hard to come by and we SHOULD do it now, rather than trying to find a deal in free agency next season or get lucky and draft a player. probably won't though.
A - you are right. Way out of character for the Bengals.

1B - The Cap is an issue. Again, Crosby is due about $16M for the rest of the year, guaranteed. Bengals only have $9M in cap. Could it be done? Yes. But, it would cost a new contract, which would then obviously escalate as Crosby will be due a pretty damn hefty contract.

B - Crosby could end up elsewhere, but because he's contracted - and would likely require a new contract since most teams are going to need cap space - he would have to agree to go where he's going, and likely there would have to be a pre-agreement on a restructured contract before agreeing to the trade. If not, you end up with a Reddick situation - and seeing how that has played out, teams are going to want to be sure there is a contract agreement in place prior to agreeing to the trade.

C - It won't happen. Bengals are way out on this MO - it's just what I would look at - and at some point the Bengals will HAVE to spend on defense - and you could do a lot worse than getting a top tier DE - and having nearly 2 years to pair him with another guy like Hendrickson....

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A - you are right. Way out of character for the Bengals.

1B - The Cap is an issue. Again, Crosby is due about $16M for the rest of the year, guaranteed. Bengals only have $9M in cap. Could it be done? Yes. But, it would cost a new contract, which would then obviously escalate as Crosby will be due a pretty damn hefty contract.

B - Crosby could end up elsewhere, but because he's contracted - and would likely require a new contract since most teams are going to need cap space - he would have to agree to go where he's going, and likely there would have to be a pre-agreement on a restructured contract before agreeing to the trade. If not, you end up with a Reddick situation - and seeing how that has played out, teams are going to want to be sure there is a contract agreement in place prior to agreeing to the trade.

C - It won't happen. Bengals are way out on this MO - it's just what I would look at - and at some point the Bengals will HAVE to spend on defense - and you could do a lot worse than getting a top tier DE - and having nearly 2 years to pair him with another guy like Hendrickson....
Even if the Bengals were a team that would do this sort of thing, I think the market is going to drive up the price. Crosby is a much more valuable addition than Davante Adams. Edge is a more premium position, simply because there are fewer edges that can rush the passer at a high level. Receivers are a premium position, but there are lots of good ones. Plus, the age factor is a big issue. Adams is a 31 year old receiver and big receivers like him are hit and miss after 30. Crosby is in the prime of his career. Crosby could be the missing piece for several contenders including Detroit, San Francisco, and Baltimore - All teams that might make this sort of deal. But, given this market, I think it's going to cost a fair amount of draft capital to make it happen. Davis shouldn't move Crosby just to move him - He could easily move him this offseason when teams have more cash and cap room to play with and he would get a big deal for him. Ultimately, I think the market conditions keep any deal from happening this year.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the Bengals were a team that would do this sort of thing, I think the market is going to drive up the price. Crosby is a much more valuable addition than Davante Adams. Edge is a more premium position, simply because there are fewer edges that can rush the passer at a high level. Receivers are a premium position, but there are lots of good ones. Plus, the age factor is a big issue. Adams is a 31 year old receiver and big receivers like him are hit and miss after 30. Crosby is in the prime of his career. Crosby could be the missing piece for several contenders including Detroit, San Francisco, and Baltimore - All teams that might make this sort of deal. But, given this market, I think it's going to cost a fair amount of draft capital to make it happen. Davis shouldn't move Crosby just to move him - He could easily move him this offseason when teams have more cash and cap room to play with and he would get a big deal for him. Ultimately, I think the market conditions keep any deal from happening this year.
All valid points.

It would come down to asking price (as I've said) and what the Bengals would realistically give up.

Is it likely to happen? Again, no - but you'd be silly not to pick up the phone and at least have that conversation.