• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns looking for new QB

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say for sure what the future for Manziel will be. It's easy to say he's a bust and that's that, but we simply don't know that.

He can't be both the party animal narcissist and a focused NFL caliber QB. Can this treatment alone break him of the former and even if so, does he really have enough skill set to be great at the latter?

I'm sure he can dump that other stuff long enough to find out what his short term potential is, but I'm not so sure alcohol treatment alone can cure him of the narcissism so I'd be really hesitant to take him as a #1 for my team.

Would I take him on my team as a #2 developmental kind of player? Maybe.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should keep Hoyer. He did well last year until he was told (by text apparently) to force feed Gordon when he came back.
Nobody will be force feeding Gordon any time soon.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say for sure what the future for Manziel will be. It's easy to say he's a bust and that's that, but we simply don't know that.

He can't be both the party animal narcissist and a focused NFL caliber QB. Can this treatment alone break him of the former and even if so, does he really have enough skill set to be great at the latter?

I'm sure he can dump that other stuff long enough to find out what his short term potential is, but I'm not so sure alcohol treatment alone can cure him of the narcissism so I'd be really hesitant to take him as a #1 for my team.

Would I take him on my team as a #2 developmental kind of player? Maybe.
Maybe as a water boy.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should keep Hoyer. He did well last year until he was told (by text apparently) to force feed Gordon when he came back.

I agree with that. If they got a few more playmakers, he could be a pretty good QB.

The best thing the browns have going for them right now is Pettine is still at the helm. I really like the guy, he seems rock solid and able to navigate the franchise through the rough seas they are currently in.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. If they got a few more playmakers, he could be a pretty good QB.

The best thing the browns have going for them right now is Pettine is still at the helm. I really like the guy, he seems rock solid and able to navigate the franchise through the rough seas they are currently in.

I think of all the "Brady backups" that are around the league he's the best one out there.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think of all the "Brady backups" that are around the league he's the best one out there.

Record speaks for itself IMO. He isn't a guy that is gonna wow anyone with gawdy numbers, but that's not what the Browns need. They need a steady hand back there that won't lose the game via turnover. For that role, I think he's their guy for the short term at least.

I'd say sign him to a few years with a club option for a 3rd year at reasonable pay. Maybe even sign him to a longer deal if only to keep him on the roster as a mentor to the younger QBs at the later stages of the contract. I don't know that he'd be able to help Johnny, but I think he could really help out Conner Shaw...and that kid might have what it takes to make it in the league more than JFF anyhow.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Record speaks for itself IMO. He isn't a guy that is gonna wow anyone with gawdy numbers, but that's not what the Browns need. They need a steady hand back there that won't lose the game via turnover. For that role, I think he's their guy for the short term at least.

I'd say sign him to a few years with a club option for a 3rd year at reasonable pay. Maybe even sign him to a longer deal if only to keep him on the roster as a mentor to the younger QBs at the later stages of the contract. I don't know that he'd be able to help Johnny, but I think he could really help out Conner Shaw...and that kid might have what it takes to make it in the league more than JFF anyhow.

I'd like to see what he can do with some stability around him. I think he could put up good numbers if he gets that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns have a large amount of cap space right now, so I wouldn't be surprised if they took a run at Hoyer or tried to bring in a free agent QB if they cannot resign Hoyer.

What they need more than anything right now are receivers. Their crew last year was OK, but didn't consist of any real playmakers or anyone that could get good consistent separation. That forced a lot of check downs, which teams eventually adapted to defending.

Really hard to say how they should approach Hoyer...you don't really know what his market value is...he's better than the starters in NYJ, HOU, TB, TN, and BUF. But how much better is he than Foles, or Cousins? idk.

He's not the long term answer imo, but he's the best option right now. I'd trade for Cousins or Foles before I gave him a huge deal. A frontend loaded deal for 4 yrs that is cut friendly after 2 yrs is all I could muster.

WRs...yes...Gordon didn't work out, and Jordan was hurt some...that's where I might spend some cash in FA, and still draft a guy that is at least a #2 level player.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hard to say how they should approach Hoyer...you don't really know what his market value is...he's better than the starters in NYJ, HOU, TB, TN, and BUF. But how much better is he than Foles, or Cousins? idk.

He's not the long term answer imo, but he's the best option right now. I'd trade for Cousins or Foles before I gave him a huge deal. A frontend loaded deal for 4 yrs that is cut friendly after 2 yrs is all I could muster.

WRs...yes...Gordon didn't work out, and Jordan was hurt some...that's where I might spend some cash in FA, and still draft a guy that is at least a #2 level player.

Yeah, 4 years and maybe a club option for a 5th or something sounds fair to me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, 4 years and maybe a club option for a 5th or something sounds fair to me.

Yep...give him the cash he's earned in '15 and '16, and load it up with roster bonuses after that...idk what JM will turn out to be...I said on draft day LY he'd be a 1 contract player in CLE and I still believe that...that puts me in the mode to look a Petty or Hundley in the 2nd round...see where competition lines them up and go with 3 QBs

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...give him the cash he's earned in '15 and '16, and load it up with roster bonuses after that...idk what JM will turn out to be...I said on draft day LY he'd be a 1 contract player in CLE and I still believe that...that puts me in the mode to look a Petty or Hundley in the 2nd round...see where competition lines them up and go with 3 QBs

I wasn't happy about the JFF signing on draft day, but he seemed to be worth the position at late in the 2nd round. They also have Conner Shaw at 3rd string, so I don't know if they should be looking for more QBs this draft. I'd much rather they beef up their offensive and defensive lines. Can never have too many big boys in the trenches.

jctoo

cult elitist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad that someone kept JJ in check on this one ...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't happy about the JFF signing on draft day, but he seemed to be worth the position at late in the 2nd round. They also have Conner Shaw at 3rd string, so I don't know if they should be looking for more QBs this draft. I'd much rather they beef up their offensive and defensive lines. Can never have too many big boys in the trenches.
Cleveland is n a pretty good position this coming draft. After last years two number ones...they need to adapt the cowboys way of thinking and draft players that love the game of football

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can understand both points.

QB...now this is just my opinion of course. If I'm in the FO in CLE...I now realize that JM was a mistake...but the pick has been made. I'm not going to cut him, that would be silly. But, I need a guy that can be ready to take over if Hoyer goes down and when it's time to put the long term guy on the field...today I'm not sure that guy is not on the roster...Shaw doesn't not belong on an NFL field imo...that's why I spin a 2nd rounder on Petty or Hundley to replace Shaw and let them compete for the backup spot with JM.

I can see taking another big in the 2nd round and looking at a guy like Sean Mannion a round later but I couldn't rest on JM & Shaw.

12 & 19...WR and DT or OT....RT is not all that great, but LT to RG is pretty damn good imo. Taylor was injured...assuming he comes back healthy...he's a stud.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might be able to pick up a back up QB in free agency. Fact is, not many teams actually have 2 serviceable QBs on their roster. I'm not giving up on Johnny, but I'm in no hurry to see him back on the field. He clearly needs time to figure out how to play in the NFL.

Depth was a major issue for cleveland last yr. But, I suppose when it boils down to it, its the same story league wide.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, I'd give Manziel another season to prove himself. If he fails again next yr. then draft a QB in 2016.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also agree it's to early to call JM a mistake.
Long road and it's up to him to give himself the best shot at being successful at this level.
Gotta have another season at the minimum.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it was real quick, he got 12+ games, but at the same time he had not really played himself out of the job imo...it was probably a case where they had lost a few games and somebody (owner) wanted to see "his" pick on the field...Shanahan clearly did not want to start JM.

FWIW...Hoyer should not get a huge deal...he's really just a stop gap QB...perfect for what CLE needs right now.
Realistically, this is true. I do have to say, if the Owner is just puppeteering the FO and QB situation like a fantasy football owner, that usually doesn't end well. It's moreso the utter lack of work ethic by JM that makes the whole situation disturbing if you are a Browns fan. And quite frankly, if I am Hoyer and I am trying to prove I am not a stopgap, it's definitely not Cleveland.

It would be one thing if Manziel wasn't attracting so much negative media and was bad on the field, it's another when he shows nothing that resembles a starting QB. A less talented Jamarcus Russel may be upon us.