• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brooks fined $16,000 For hit on Brees

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to point out that the game itself was a fun game IMO. There seems to be a rivalry between 49ers and Saints kind of similar to the one between Colts and Patriots. All the games are becoming a must-see game.

It is too bad that this game has become all about the controversy over this penalty. It seems I am alongside most of the NFL fans. We all understand that by NFL rule book, the ref made a good call. It is the penalty itself that nobody likes.

I am pretty sure I am with all NFL fans in thinking the fine is pathetic. It was clear he was not trying to injure him, nor did he do it over and over all game long. If he had just clothes-lined Brees around the neck like they did in the 50s, then fine would be necessary, but he got the chest.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Brooks fine is more than Clay Matthews week 1 hit on Kaep. This is stupid as that one Kaep was clearly out of bounds and Matthews lunged at Kaep.

Ahmad Brooks' fine $750 more than Clay Matthews' for Week 1 late hit on Colin Kaepernick, which was preceded by tough talk about hitting CK. : mattbarrows

That's such BS. I still think Matthews should have been ejected. He talked all week about hitting the QB, then proceeded to make one of the most gratuitous tackles out of bounds that I have seen. The fact that this fine is higher is just a joke.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this is bullshit. Definitely disagree with the league on this one. The penalty was one thing, this fine is another. Makes me think twice about watching anymore football.

My thoughts exactly.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I hope we play the saints again in the playoffs. Brees has really pissed me off acting like a..... next time Brees, brooks will get his money worth.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What bullshit. The saints just smacked Matt Ryan in the face mask and neck on a sack and no flag....

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL is about 8 years away from putting sensors on a QBs uniform that calls the play dead if a defender touches the QB with both hands before the ball is released. A defender the QB to the ground, even if unintentionally, or after the ball is thrown, will result in a personal foul flag, mixed with either an ejection or a 1 game suspension handed down by the league.

ALSO, with the current rules about helmet to helmet hits, current players will soon follow Brandon Marriweather's lead of taking out knees, that is, until a few top 10 WR/RBs go down with torn ACLs or broken legs, to which the league with respond by expanding the Brady rule to all offensive skill position players.

And as for defensive that might get injured while attempting a tackle because they must ignore their full speed momentum and tackle within a 2.5 foot "OK to tackle zone" so that Drew Brees, Peyton, and Rodgers don't get any boo-boos? Fuck 'em; the defenders should have learned to catch and block better so that they could have played offense while growing up.

"In the year 3000...."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What bullshit. The saints just smacked Matt Ryan in the face mask and neck on a sack and no flag....

This has been the biggest problem this year. Game to Game and almost play to play it seems the refs have no consistency when throwing flags. What was PI on one play is not PI on another. What is roughing or a personal foul one play it gets overlooked on the next 8. It has been utterly pathetic this year. I say bring back the replacement officials. They at least had a legitimate excuse for sucking.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any play, no matter how clean it is, can be called a penalty in this league. There is no consistency whatsoever.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the part I don't get… I thought the whole issue was concussions, so why is the league taking it so far with so many other rules ? There making the playing field unfair for defenses and that's BS.. If you want to focus on limiting concussions then do it, BUT don't go over the top and start calling non concussion issue penalties..

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the part I don't get… I thought the whole issue was concussions, so why is the league taking it so far with so many other rules ? There making the playing field unfair for defenses and that's BS.. If you want to focus on limiting concussions then do it, BUT don't go over the top and start calling non concussion issue penalties..

I miss the days when the defense could play defense. It's great that they are limiting the risk of concussions, but do we have to handcuff defensive players the way they are doing now?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly not sure if I'd rather have a "no tackling QB's rule" or an inconsistent set of rules intended to protect the QB, making it very difficult for players to hit the QB without violating a subjective and potentially game-changing penalty.

And that's pretty sad.

At least the former would be a bright-line rule that every player would know how to follow and that every official would know how to apply. LOL.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this unprecedented territory? Has a 3rd party ever even offered, let alone paid, a fine of this nature? Will King Goodell and his gestapo accept a 3rd party payment? Having a third party (or potential group of third parties in this case) pay for a fine challenges the basis of the fine when they pay it because it is BS and don't feel the player should have to pay. This is an interesting situation to say the least and shows how this rule is not being favored by many.

This is unprecedented territory and could open an entirely new set of headaches for a league that continues to be rocked on its heels. What happens if, say for instance, others (with even deeper pockets) decide to pay fines or guarantee payment of fines for hits that take star players out of the game? I really don't believe that most players would go along with this...........however..............

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss the days when the defense could play defense. It's great that they are limiting the risk of concussions, but do we have to handcuff defensive players the way they are doing now?

There is no such thing as defense in this league anymore. Think about it.......a quarterback having an accurate day in tune with receivers who are not dropping the ball is impossible to stop. Can't hit the QB, can't hit the receivers. Any wonder why it's turned into a passing league?? BTW; It not about concussions at all!!! Check out the number of players pre-game banging their headsa together in anticipation of the start of play.!!!

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no such thing as defense in this league anymore. Think about it.......a quarterback having an accurate day in tune with receivers who are not dropping the ball is impossible to stop. Can't hit the QB, can't hit the receivers. Any wonder why it's turned into a passing league?? BTW; It not about concussions at all!!! Check out the number of players pre-game banging their headsa together in anticipation of the start of play.!!!

And now a sack isn't even a sack anymore. It's just tough to play defense these days. At least they are paid well.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly… That's the part that's so maddening… Its fixable, which is the good news, BUT what direction does the league want to go ? Maybe pressure from the fans and current players can make them back off a bit.. But it seems like the league is scared $hiatless of more lawsuits down the road so there gonna cover there butts… You can only go so far though or your gonna destroy the integrity of the game...