• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Whitner fined $21K for hit on Chris Givens, will appeal fine

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not disagreeing with you at all. I like what the NFL is trying to do but I don't like some of the language in the rules and I don't agree with the judgements in every case. If a WR falls to the left a defender could hit his head, get a penalty, and receive a fine. If the WR falls to the right the defender hits him legally and everyone says 'Wow!'. The defender hasn't done anything different and the results shouldn't be poles apart. I didn't write the rules and i'm not determining if someone gets fined. I think Whitner is unlucky here and the fine is harsh. I don't want to look through his history as that could cloud my judgement of this incident. I can't name anyone that has been helped by this rule and I never will be able to. It's impossible to determine which hit caused a brain injury since the injury might not become apparent for decades. If the rules end up with a few more TDs and a few less brain injuries i'll happily live with that result.
I can understand people hating the rules and hating the reduction of legal violence. Everyone loves a great hit. I can understand people disagreeing with the NFL's decisions regarding fines. People saying a fine is bullshit because the hit was with the shoulder not the helmet is what annoys me because the rules have been clear for some time.
If a defender on my team made that play in the endzone I wouldn't be upset and i'd accept the penalty. If the same defender made the same play on a 3 yard reception on 3rd & 20 at midfield i'd be extremely pissed at him. The NFL can't, (or shouldn't), make different rules for the same play which is why we end up with cases like this. The bottom line is Whitner makes a play that breaks the rules and is subject to league discipline. Wince and move on.
I might understand why this was called on the field (as a score that is always reviewed..... it should have been reversed) but the fine is BS. I just don't see the intent of a head shot or any other ill intent. We move on anyway regardless. Hail Dictator Goodell!!!