• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brooks fined $16,000 For hit on Brees

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like Ray Lewis will be paying half of the fine on Monday. I believe Teddy Bruschi said he was going to donate to "Brees is a Bitch Fund" as well. (before some whiny little cock sucker says it has nothing to do with Brees, I understand that it doesnt. That is just what I call all the former Linebackers helping Brooks pay the fine."

Morning Tailgate: Brooks Fined for Brees Hit

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the fine was coming to validate the flag...

god awful to be a defensive player right now....

stupid league

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this unprecedented territory? Has a 3rd party ever even offered, let alone paid, a fine of this nature? Will King Goodell and his gestapo accept a 3rd party payment? Having a third party (or potential group of third parties in this case) pay for a fine challenges the basis of the fine when they pay it because it is BS and don't feel the player should have to pay. This is an interesting situation to say the least and shows how this rule is not being favored by many.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It shouldn't matter who pays the fine. If I was Bill Gates rich, I'd pay for all the bullshit fines just to get my point across.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this unprecedented territory? Has a 3rd party ever even offered, let alone paid, a fine of this nature? Will King Goodell and his gestapo accept a 3rd party payment? Having a third party (or potential group of third parties in this case) pay for a fine challenges the basis of the fine when they pay it because it is BS and don't feel the player should have to pay. This is an interesting situation to say the least and shows how this rule is not being favored by many.

I've heard of teammates putting out "a collection hat" of sorts (not literally a hat being put out like some might assume) by teammates of the player that was fined, both in the NFL and NBA, to help a player pay the fine.

I've also heard of a few players on radio and in the media (3rd party) saying they SHOULD and MIGHT help a player out with the fine, but I don't know how often that happens or how many times they actually go through with it. I've never heard of a player speak as passionately about actually doing it like Ray Lewis did but that's hardly surprising given how Lewis comes across.

Since I believe fines are still just deducted from a future pay period check, I believe if players actually do this, which I have to believe is true given the number of players who've talked about doing it, they would have to basically pay the player himself because I don't think players actually pay fines in the form of a payment. It's just deducted from a future game check.

nmgsc2002

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only favored by fans of teams that and teams that include Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Tom Brady. It's a dumb rule but I get the penalty now after they explained it on every talk show and article.

I just want to know what they are going to do about this rule now, because you know this will have to be discussed in the meetings in the off season. I mean players are working to avoid making contact to the head and legs of QB's and not hitting them with excessive force. How can you make it fair for defenders to sack the QB when you are trying to work through blocks and getting hit? Basically they are trying to outlaw touching the QB at all. So do they put flags all over his waist for players to grab and then play is dead once a player pulls it? Does the Players Union get involved to try and make both sides of the ball happy? Cause as a defender I would be mad nothing is being done to protect them.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, what a crock of shit. Someone strap a purse to Goodell and tell him to go change his tampon. No way that's a fine.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
16k he got off cheap ..

Got off cheap? EVERY single fine I could find for a similar offense (highest to lowest):

Ndamukong Suh: $31,500 (multiple offenses prior to this)
Daryl Washington: $21,000 (multiple offenses prior to this)
Phillip Wheeler: $21,000 (unsure of any offenses prior to this)
Chandler Jones: $17,750 (unsure of any offenses prior to this)
Linval Joseph: $15,750 (no known offenses prior to this)
Israel Idonije: $15,750 (no known offenses prior to this)
Whitney Mercilus: $15,750 (no known offenses prior to this)
Jason Babin: $15,750 (fined numerous times in the past for roughing the passer)
Quinton Coples: $15,750 (no known offenses prior to this)
Thomas DeCoud: $15,750 (no known offenses prior to this)
Muhammad Wilkerson: $15,750 (no known offenses prior to this)
Perry Riley: $15,750 (no known offenses prior to this)
Jelani Jenkins: $15,750 (no known offenses prior to this)
Jared Crick: $15,750 (no known offenses prior to this)
Brian Orakpo: $15,750 (no known offenses prior to this)
Osi Umenyiora: $15,750 (fined several times in the past for roughing the passer)
William Moore: $15,750
Gerald McCoy: $15,750 (fined in the past for multiple offenses)
Nick Fairley: $15,750 (fined in the past for multiple offenses)
Willie Young: $15,750
Michael Bennett: $15,750
Clay Matthews: $15,750 (no known offenses prior to this)
Ahmad Brooks: $15,750 (fined $12,750 for roughing the passer in week 1)
Najee Goode: $10,000
Kenny Vaccaro: $7,875 (no known offenses prior to this)
Kevin Vickerson: $7,875 (no known offenses prior to this)

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brooks should pull a Kramer from Seinfeld. Knock on Roger Goodell's door and dump $16,000 worth of pennies in his arms and walk away.

Tell him to choke on them.

What a freaking joke ! 16 K for playing the game the right way. If he really wanted to hurt Brees he could of really hurt him. Brees should send Brooks a letter thanking him for not taking his head off on live T.V.

NFL players especially defensive players need to strike right now and tell the league there will be no more football until these dumb penalties stop and fines for players on plays like this are eliminated. Someone needs to stand up and fight for players rights. The NFL players union is also a joke. Things need to change and it will take a fight by the players in court to tell the league to stick it.

jarrod49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So lets get this right, fined 16K for hitting a QB in his chest so hard that he went down and as he went down his arm slid up across his chin and head but he got right back up and was able to play still. yet one of our dlineman is engaged with a blocker and another blocker dives at his knees and ankles ultimately breaking his ankle and he is out for the season but that was labeled a clean hit???? Anything the league can do to try to make this game more geared toward offense and fantasy points. SMFH

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brooks should pull a Kramer from Seinfeld. Knock on Roger Goodell's door and dump $16,000 worth of pennies in his arms and walk away.

Tell him to choke on them.

What a freaking joke ! 16 K for playing the game the right way. If he really wanted to hurt Brees he could of really hurt him. Brees should send Brooks a letter thanking him for not taking his head off on live T.V.

NFL players especially defensive players need to strike right now and tell the league there will be no more football until these dumb penalties stop and fines for players on plays like this are eliminated. Someone needs to stand up and fight for players rights. The NFL players union is also a joke. Things need to change and it will take a fight by the players in court to tell the league to stick it.

Next time he should just smash his head into the ground. If it is gonna be a penalty and a fine you might as well make it worth it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a joke. Hey rey you going to pay the fine?

jarrod49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I think is funny about the whole situation is that everyone agrees that the initial contact was in the chest but the penalty and fine are because his are rode up into the head and neck area yet there is a picture of kap being sacked where initial contact was to his upper body but the defenders arms rode up in effect putting kap into a head lock with no flag thrown and no fine!! way to go nfl protect only certain qbs.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would think the 16 Gs will be deducted from Brooks' paycheck directly but what's to stop Lewis from paying 8 grand directly to Brooks...........other than him being a blowhard bullshitter I mean.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such bs.

Sadly I really don't see this go away at all. NFL had to do what they had to do to protect themselves from future law suits. I find it hard that the NFL can go back now and change the rules. I can see maybe teaching the refs a little better or making the "strike zone" bigger. But I just don't see the nfl changing its rules ever.

Only thing I can think of is if they changed the rules then make the players sign waivers so they can't do a damn thing. Keep the concussion protocols though.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my thought on the whole situation after a few days after the fact.

It was a penalty. Just like the tuck rule, it was a penalty. I think it was obvious that he wasn't targeting the head/neck and the original contact was definitely the chest. But it did slide up into the neck. I think it is a awful rule (I didn't even realize it was a rule).

I think the fine is crazy. If he was targeting the head and neck, then fine him. Brooks just got caught up in an unfortunate circumstance with a guy that is not even 6'. If he hit the same way vs Peyton Manning, he would have hit him in the ribs. IMO, fines should be given to those who intended to cause a penalty for injury. I don't see any way they can justify Brooks intending to force a penalty.