• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos Pick 153 Delarrin Turner-Yell S Oklahoma

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My least favorite pick. He ran hot/cold at OU according to my OU fan friends.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STRENGTHS: Has above average speed for the position, which shows on tape with his chase down tackles ... opens his hips and covers ground, showing the looseness to stay on top of routes ... trusts his keys to trigger and won’t play hesitant (his film preparation is evident on tape) ... closes downhill with violent intentions, which allows him to wrangle ball carriers in the open field ... shows savvy when the ball is in the air and won’t make contact with receivers before the ball arrives ... his coaches said he was a tone-setter “since the day he showed up” with his on-field motor and team-first attitude ... productive tackler.
WEAKNESSES: Looks more like a cornerback than safety, lacking an ideal build for the position ... doesn’t play explosive in coverage ... better as a floater than attaching himself to receivers or tight ends in man coverage ... not immune to false steps in his reads ... below average ball production for a player with 30-plus starts ... fearless tackler, but his lack of upper body power leads to finishing issues when he attempts to wrap ... needs to be more of an impact guy on special teams coverages ... missed at least one game each of his four seasons in Norman, including three games as a senior because of a hamstring injury (October 2021); Suffered a broken left collarbone (December 2019) and missed the College Football Playoff semifinal vs. LSU.
SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Oklahoma, Turner-Yell was the strong safety in former defensive coordinator Alex Grinch’s 3-3-5 base scheme. When on the field, he brought a level of consistency to an otherwise inconsistent Sooners defense, finishing top-four on the team in tackles per game the past three seasons. Turner-Yell trusts his preparation and eye discipline, which allows him to play fast and be in the right position to make plays vs. the run and in coverage as a split safety. His toughness is a strength to his game, but his physical nature works against his durability, which is a potential problem in the NFL. Overall, Turner-Yell is undersized and will have his struggles in man coverage, but he is a decisive downhill alley runner with the range and intangibles that will appeal to NFL defensive coordinators. He will need to get better on special teams to help his long-term roster chances

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This pick was for me. ;)

I will probably be happier then most..

Player I really liked at Oklahoma the last two seasons....

Reminds me a bit of when Denver took Sam Brandon back in the day and Jamar Johnson last year... I thought he might go a little later but I think overall a great pick here... Guy who can help on special teams... Come in and compete. This pick isn't great for Jamar Johnson though. He better come to camp ready to make an impact because we won't be giving him a second redshirt.

My favorite personal pick of the draft (doesn't mean I am saying it is our best pick because it isn't but a guy I really like)

Hoping for

Simmons
Jackson
Sterns
Johnson
Turner-Yell

Keep 5 safeties hopefully for my sake.... PJ Locke didn't make an impact on special teams last year not really digging him.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick 152, not 153. Me no know how to count…

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speardog_Atlas

Orange Crush
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Legwold's take

Round 5, No. 152 overall: Delarrin Turner-Yell, S, Oklahoma​

My take: Almost any time Paton talked publicly about this year's draft, the words "special teams" were mentioned. Turner-Yell has the kind of speed (4.47 in the 40 at the scouting combine) as well as reliability as a tackler to make an immediate impact there. He is far more advanced in zone coverage than he is in man-to-man coverage at this point, but his willingness to attack the line of scrimmage and tackle with purpose when he gets there are traits the Broncos want.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I promise yall Turner-Yell will make an impact. Until then I don't know what I can say to make you believe. Just watch!