• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

British Parliament wants Redskins to change name or NFL send a different team

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha I think we come at this from 180 degrees apart. I believe in the cause of letting them name the team whatever they damn well please. I respect more someone just poking at a rival than someone who really feels the natives are being so offended by this name that it must be changed or else - offendedness!

Good deal - fair enough.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly - is being scratched from the list of playing in London (& possibly reattaining a home game in the process) a threat or actually a reward?

Goodell better not also use this to promote any type of change since he is already viewed in a negative light as it as & this won't help things.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great reply. Your statement about not really caring probably represents the feelings of a lot of people on this forum. I would guess that many folks here also don't really care except for the fact that they don't like the Redskins or Snyder or they just like to argue. Honestly - for me - I would not lose much sleep if they changed the name. I just hate seeing politicians getting involved in this type of crap while so many other things deserve their attn.

I don't care either to be honest. I don't care about just about any racial slurs really. But when you have an owner who knows he can't call those people by that slur and avoids it, and stands up against tribes that are against it telling them that it's meant to honor them, I find that a joke at best. If it offends them, which it clearly does with so many Native American tribes and groups against it, then I am fine if they put on the pressure to have it changed.

I will say that while the name doesn't bother me, if I was going to take a stand on this, I'd stand against using a dictionary defined racial slur rather than fighting to keep it.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make Britain change their game ass futbol to its appropriate name soccer then they can have a discussion.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're speaking right now. STFU = not speaking for them.

Simmer down now.

Just thought it would make for an entertaining YT vid for someone to make if they were truly confident in their stance on the situation.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we're on the subject...

Yankee

According to the original origin of the word, it is a disparaging word directed insultingly toward Dutch settlers; roughly translated to "Little John Cheese." By the 1750's the term "yankee" applied to all New Englanders. By the revolutionary war, in applied to all Americans.

For all of the Dutch who are insulted, maybe the New York Yankees should change their name? I'd suggest New York Cheeseheads, but the Packers may be upset with copyright issues.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care either to be honest. I don't care about just about any racial slurs really. But when you have an owner who knows he can't call those people by that slur and avoids it, and stands up against tribes that are against it telling them that it's meant to honor them, I find that a joke at best. If it offends them, which it clearly does with so many Native American tribes and groups against it, then I am fine if they put on the pressure to have it changed.

I will say that while the name doesn't bother me, if I was going to take a stand on this, I'd stand against using a dictionary defined racial slur rather than fighting to keep it.

Little Danny Boy comes from a tribe of his own.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why all of a sudden these last few years the indians have a problem with the name? Could it be because they are not appreciated by society today like in the past and don't want any americans mocking their name that have no respect for them?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why all of a sudden these last few years the indians have a problem with the name? Could it be because they are not appreciated by society today like in the past and don't want any americans mocking their name that have no respect for them?

First, not all natives think the same on the issue. Not a monolithic group. Second, there's been opposition to the name for a lot longer than 2 or 3 years. It was just that the media wasn't interested in covering it.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, not all natives think the same on the issue. Not a monolithic group. Second, there's been opposition to the name for a lot longer than 2 or 3 years. It was just that the media wasn't interested in covering it.

Agreed, there's been native americans fighting to get the name changed since at least the 70's..

I think a couple things have changed... Reporting on these types of things has shot up, and the social media effect where a smaller group (Native Americans are a small minority in the US) can get their voice heard.

Another is that they have had bigger fish to fry in the past than someone using a racial slur. Suicide, poverty, unemployment, health care issues...

Figure they've only had a joint voice since the 50's, heck they were still having wars with settlers taking over their lands in the 20's... And in the early years they were fighting federal employment bias, and things like Alaska becoming a state with a bill that would ensure there could be zero reservations for native americans.

As the legal fights for equal rights are being won, they've focused more on new topics like increasing quality health care on reservations, education and employment, preserving culture, and lobbying states and now the federal gov't to remove the racial slurs.