• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

British Parliament wants Redskins to change name or NFL send a different team

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am part Cherokee and I give 0 fucks about the team name. Hell I was pissed as a Stanford fan when they changed their name. Now its as PC as you an get. A fucking color.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am fine with it being changed. Plenty of musical artists and entertainers have zero issue with the N word... But it doesn't change the fact that the word is a dictionary defined perjorative term and shouldn't be used in normal society.
This is in the same bucket, you can argue that it isn't "as" offensive, but that to me is using the #1 fallacy argument which doesn't carry any water.

It's funny how you see people still think nobody cares...

There were THOUSANDS protesting the name outside of games last year when Washington was on the road. Entire tribe leaderships are saying the name should be changed.

As for people who do care, here's some that have specifically called for the name change...

Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians

Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma

Comanche Nation of Oklahoma

The Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation (Washington)

Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians (Michigan)

Hoh Indian Tribe

Inter Tribal Council of Arizona

Inter-Tribal Council of the Five Civilized Tribes

Juaneño Band of Mission Indians (California)

Little River Band of Ottawa Indians (Michigan)

Match-E-Be-Nash-She-Wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians, Gun Lake Tribe (Michigan)

Menominee Tribe of Indians (Wisconsin)

Oneida Indian Nation (New York)

Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin

Osage Nation

Navajo Nation Council

Penobscot Nation

Poarch Band of Creek Indians

Samish Indian Nation (Washington)

Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians (Michigan)

Shoshone-Bannock Tribes (Idaho)

Standing Rock Sioux Tribe (North Dakota)

The Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation (North Dakota)

United South and Eastern Tribes (USET)

Advocates for American Indian Children (California)

American Indian Mental Health Association (Minnesota)

American Indian Movement

American Indian Opportunities Industrialization Center of San Bernardino County

American Indian Student Services at the Ohio State University

American Indian High Education Consortium

American Indian College Fund

Americans for Indian Opportunity

Association on American Indian Affairs

Buncombe County Native American Inter-tribal Association (North Carolina)

Capitol Area Indian Resources (Sacramento, CA)

Concerned American Indian Parents (Minnesota)

Council for Indigenous North Americans (University of Southern Maine)

Eagle and Condor Indigenous Peoples’ Alliance

First Peoples Worldwide

Fontana Native American Indian Center, Inc. (California)

Governor’s Interstate Indian Council

Greater Tulsa Area Indian Affairs Commission

Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council (Wisconsin)

HONOR – Honor Our Neighbors Origins and Rights

Kansas Association for Native American Education

Maryland Commission on Indian Affairs

Medicine Wheel Inter-tribal Association (Louisiana)

Minnesota Indian Education Association

National Congress of American Indians (NCAI)

National Indian Child Welfare Association

National Indian Education Association

National Indian Youth Council

National Native American Law Student Association

Native American Caucus of the California Democratic Party

Native American Finance Officers Association (NAFOA)

Native American Journalists Association[25]

Native American Indian Center of Central Ohio

Native American Journalists Association

Native American Rights Fund (NARF)

Native Voice Network

Nebraska Commission on Indian Affairs

Nottawaseppi Huron Band of Potawatomi (Michigan)

Not Your Mascots, Inc.

North Carolina Commission of Indian Affairs

North Dakota Indian Education Association

Office of Native American Ministry, Diocese of Grand Rapids (Michigan)

Ohio Center for Native American Affairs

San Bernardino/Riverside Counties Native American Community Council

Seminole Nation of Oklahoma

Society of American Indian Government Employees (SAIGE)

Society of Indian Psychologists of the Americas

Southern California Indian Center

St. Cloud State University – American Indian Center

Tennessee Chapter of the National Coalition for the Preservation of Indigenous Cultures

Tennessee Commission of Indian Affairs

Tennessee Native Veterans Society

Tulsa Indian Coalition Against Racism

The Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation

Unified Coalition for American Indian Concerns, Virginia

The United Indian Nations of Oklahoma

Virginia American Indian Cultural Resource Center

Wisconsin Indian Education Association

WIEA "Indian" Mascot and Logo Taskforce (Wisconsin)

Woodland Indian Community Center-Lansing (Michigan)

Youth "Indian" Mascot and Logo Task force (Wisconsin)

So if you say no one cares, then sure, those are all nobodies there who's opinion means nothing.

The only reason I think there hasn't been as big of a voice here, is we are talking about offending a very small percentage of the population, and a group that isn't big in media/popular culture today. Donald Trump can go off on Muslims because they make up 0.5% of the population... He can't do the same against Christians and expect to win votes. Native American's make up less than 1% of the US population and largely live in non-media heavy area's (Dakotas, Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Oklahoma, etc).

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snyder should just give up this battle and change the name.

At some point all the owners are going to force him to anyways with all the public pressure that they will receive. Eventually there will be a big enough sponsor that is going to jump on the bandwagon and say change it or no $$$ and Washington will be forced to give in.

At some point we're all going to die. Should we just say fuck it and shoot ourselves in the head right now? Of course not. I hope Snyder rides that bitch till the wheels come off. And keeps on riding after that.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snyder should change them to the Rednecks and change the logo to a coal miner. That way he could keep the team name as a racial epithet and still have it linked to the history of the general region. I doubt many white folk would care about that name.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snyder should change them to the Rednecks and change the logo to a coal miner. That way he could keep the team name as a racial epithet and still have it linked to the history of the general region. I doubt many white folk would care about that name.

I had a similar thought, but my suggestion is to keep the name Redskins and change the logo to this guy instead (no longer a native american reference!):

upload_2016-2-26_10-43-4.jpeg

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This adds an interesting twist. :pop2:
I am forced to agree with this Aggnut. The financial incentive of expanding into Europe adds a real pressure for the NFL to motivate the 'Skins.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? What makes it so interesting?

A foreign government affecting NFL plans and potentially hitting the NFL where it matters...in the pocketbook.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The majority of Native America's have an issue with the name. I believe it's the logo that native American's like or at least have no issue with. The logo of the Cleveland Indians is the one I hear complaints about.

Really? Please show me some proof & perhaps I will be on board with you. I have seen numerous polls that dispute this & have also talked with several Native Americans (perhaps not enough) & this is mainly a non-issue. How do you also explain that there are still predominately Native American high schools that use "Redskins" for their team name?

I want to hear this for a large amt of actual Native Americans - not some overpaid politician or media idiot looking for attn. I also don't want to hear this from some phony Native American rep who uses this type of thing to build up his bank acct.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would support this view, but he has three things he's competing with: 1) Being able to do what he wants or give into pressure. 2) He's already stated he will never change it, doing so would go against that. 3) Dealing with all the obnoxious people who wouldn't tell him he did good to change it but instead, "see, I told you, and you admitted your mistake, and you should have done it sooner and pay reparations for not doing it."

A lot of people don't do "right" because of what they know happens once they "fix" it. I use quotes because I'm only calling it "right" and a "fix" for argument's sake. Don't really know or care, one way or another, to be honest. There's only a certain amount of injury I can claim to something that happened to people before me that I can feel. Not saying that it's an illegitimate feeling, I just can't feel for all those people. I choose what I care about and what I don't and don't expect people to take up my cross.

Great reply. Your statement about not really caring probably represents the feelings of a lot of people on this forum. I would guess that many folks here also don't really care except for the fact that they don't like the Redskins or Snyder or they just like to argue. Honestly - for me - I would not lose much sleep if they changed the name. I just hate seeing politicians getting involved in this type of crap while so many other things deserve their attn.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one way to clear this up. A Gung Ho Redskin fan should should make a YouTube video of himself going to a reservation and saying to every native person they see, "sup redskin?". That should give us an idea of if they're offended, or if they're "honored" by it.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one way to clear this up. A Gung Ho Redskin fan should should make a YouTube video of himself going to a reservation and saying to every native person they see, "sup redskin?". That should give us an idea of if they're offended, or if they're "honored" by it.

Most likely - neither. People would look at them like they are crazy. Ditto if the said "sup Indian" or "sup Native American". Jim Florentine had a great comment on this one - for 99% of the folks in the past century or so they only know the term "Redskins" as it applies to the football team. At least until politicians & others with too much time on their hands started using this as an attn grabber.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How convenient that the guy with the big list (which in itself means nothing - I could produce a similar list for just about anything) just happens to be an Eagles fan. Again - change the name if needed. I would just like to stop seeing so many phonies pretending to care about this issue.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is a 1st Nations fellow at the pool I swim at who sports a Dexter Manley jersey.

He also has a Chicago Blackhawks jersey.

I'd say he's around 50?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what ever happenend to the St John's Redman

:dhd: