• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Briggs wants to come back

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briggs back with the Bears? No. 55 awaits John Fox's call | CSN Chicago

"In my opinion, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to (bring Briggs back to the Bears)," Briggs said on Monday's edition of SportsTalk Live. "Obviously, in the Draft, that's probably going to be one of the focal points is getting a linebacker, (but) a guy who's been around, a guy who understands football, who's a great football player and can play at a high level still, to me, is enticing. A guy like John Fox — love the hire — and hopefully I get a call and I get an opportunity to come back and play in Chicago, where I'm supposed to be."

I respect Briggs for his play in the prime of his career, but there is no way he's coming back. We are probably converting to a 3-4 defense, and I honestly don't see much use for him in that scheme. He would probably have to move to ILB if we re-signed him. I don't think he's coming back. Would anyone disagree with me?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox is big on showing vets respect. Like he reached out to BU. So Tilman and Briggs both may be here next year. Heck Briggs was our best LB last year. So ya I see it as possible.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox is big on showing vets respect. Like he reached out to BU. So Tilman and Briggs both may be here next year. Heck Briggs was our best LB last year. So ya I see it as possible.

But, can Briggs make the transition to a 3-4 defense? I don't think they will sign Briggs and put off building the 3-4 base defense for however long they sign him for. Therefore, if we signed him, he would have to make the transition, and I don't think he's a 3-4 OLB. I could definitely see Tillman back though if he chose to come back.

Last edited by a moderator:

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if Briggs comes in in shape for a change he can maybe play better. If he is serious he needs to change his off-season workouts to actually include working out

C

cubzzzfanincali

I sure hope not. He makes no sense for this team, unless he is willing to sign for cheaper than I'm sure he wants. The cap space is better used on a LB that fits into the new system.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying that the Bears are for sure going to a 3-4, I keep hearing that Fangio utilizes more of a hybrid system, but would Briggs have a clue how to play in a 3-4? Where would you put him? Inside? Outside? Clueless. Maybe they bring him back for a min. contract? Will he come back for that? Would Lovie bring him down to Tampa?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briggs was a difference maker before he got hurt. I really dont understand all the hate just because the guy took a film day off to open his BBQ joint. When the bears were dominant on defense, he and urlacher walked up to the center gap, either rushed or dropped back from there. You say his skills are diminished, well, you have one extra linebacker responsible for part of the 1/3rd he was responsible for before.

Yes, Fangio will show a 4 man front and shift to a 3 or vice versa. That was the hybrid they expected Fucker to come up with last year. Just dont get the hate for Briggs. He can hit and tackle. I am pretty sure they will be concerned of being embearassed again and not even offer that 2 million deal like they offered Urlacher.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's gotta get healthy. All the upper body injuries seem to be taking their toll. As Leo stated above, his work-out regimen is exactly legendary, from what I've read. That takes its toll as well.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if both took the vet minimum contract- I wouldn't want them back. Great players in their prime. Can't count on them in these twilight years of their career.
With Briggs leading the charge of Quitting last year... not sure anyone is going to want him. Good 'ol BBQ Briggs and his "I don't even care, I just look at the clock and think- Man, still got 55 more minutes."

C

cubzzzfanincali

you know, I ate at his BBQ joint (about 10 miles south of here) in October, at that point I hadn't even realized it was his, just that it was a new joint. I thought his place was in LA. Anyway, it was both horribly expensive and some of the worst BBQ I have even eaten. The manager was serving bar, and we were all complaining, but to the manager's credit he was truly interested in what we thought and gave us all a free round. The Bears were even on TV at the time.

Lo and behold, like a month later someone informed me that was Briggs' place. I started laughing, because you'd think a Chicagoan with a lot of money could do a better job and know better.

I don't hate Lance for it, but for bailing out on the team to open a shitty overpriced BBQ joint, well, there's no special reason to give an over-the-hill and proud guy any slack.

This concludes my detailed football analysis of the situation.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know, I ate at his BBQ joint (about 10 miles south of here) in October, at that point I hadn't even realized it was his, just that it was a new joint. I thought his place was in LA. Anyway, it was both horribly expensive and some of the worst BBQ I have even eaten. The manager was serving bar, and we were all complaining, but to the manager's credit he was truly interested in what we thought and gave us all a free round. The Bears were even on TV at the time.

Lo and behold, like a month later someone informed me that was Briggs' place. I started laughing, because you'd think a Chicagoan with a lot of money could do a better job and know better.

I don't hate Lance for it, but for bailing out on the team to open a shitty overpriced BBQ joint, well, there's no special reason to give an over-the-hill and proud guy any slack.

This concludes my detailed football analysis of the situation.

I kinda think BBQ to californian is like chicago style pizza to them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this team should pick and choose it's veterans wisely right now... and I don't think Briggs is right for this team. He had great games and terrible games last year... I'm not going to pretend he was consistently good or bad. Sometimes he was surprisingly great, sometimes he was embarrassingly bad.

But I think you want the young LBs learning directly from Fangio and his staff at this point. Briggs gave inconsistent effort and knows little about this defense. He was a veteran last year, but I don't know about "leader." I don't think he brings as much to the table. Either go young across the board at LB, or bring in a vet who has been in Fangio's defense and has drank the Kool-Aid. Briggs seemed apathetic to me after Lovie left.

Draft Shane Ray (or Randy Gregory or Vic Beasley... whoever is the best available assuming a qb doesn't fall to us)... and start fresh. Just my two cents.

The guy who I am conflicted with also is Jared Allen. I just don't know if he fits the scheme, but he'd be expensive to cut. Did he play in a 3-4 at KC? Is there a place for him? OLB or 5 technique? And can Will Sutton play the 5 technique or in Fangio's system can he be effective as a zero technique? I understand his nose tackles aren't typically enormous, but Sutton seemed like a prototypical 3 technique to me which may not work on this team.

C

cubzzzfanincali

The guy who I am conflicted with also is Jared Allen. I just don't know if he fits the scheme, but he'd be expensive to cut. Did he play in a 3-4 at KC? Is there a place for him? OLB or 5 technique? And can Will Sutton play the 5 technique or in Fangio's system can he be effective as a zero technique? I understand his nose tackles aren't typically enormous, but Sutton seemed like a prototypical 3 technique to me which may not work on this team.

Allen told Minnesota before he left there that he wouldn't play 3-4 2-gap under any circumstances. It was pretty much a dead option. I don't think he wants the wear and tear on his body.

Assuming they are either playing Fangio's 3-4 or Fox's 2-gap 4-3, it's hard to see how he stays if he was so adamant about it. Maybe he gets traded?

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this team should pick and choose it's veterans wisely right now... and I don't think Briggs is right for this team.

... I don't know about "leader." I don't think he brings as much to the table.

I'll probably get beat up for this but Briggs has not impressed me over his career. To me, it seemed that Briggs rode Urlacher's coattails. Another thorn in my side is he never seemed to embrace Chicago either, in the sense that he was aloof to the fans. And I don't see him as leadership material either - from opening restaurants to resting comfortably on the sidelines when our defense is giving up historic numbers.

If they let him walk I won't be shedding any tears.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen told Minnesota before he left there that he wouldn't play 3-4 2-gap under any circumstances. It was pretty much a dead option. I don't think he wants the wear and tear on his body.

Assuming they are either playing Fangio's 3-4 or Fox's 2-gap 4-3, it's hard to see how he stays if he was so adamant about it. Maybe he gets traded?

Here's hoping we can trade him assuming this isn't the right situation. Better for him and better for Fangio's defense.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll probably get beat up for this but Briggs has not impressed me over his career. To me, it seemed that Briggs rode Urlacher's coattails. Another thorn in my side is he never seemed to embrace Chicago either, in the sense that he was aloof to the fans. And I don't see him as leadership material either - from opening restaurants to resting comfortably on the sidelines when our defense is giving up historic numbers.

I won't be beating you up over ANY of that. For a while he has struck me as a guy more interested in elite paychecks than elite football.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm on board with you too. That contract renegotiation he forced a few years ago halfway through his other contract really turned me off to him. I say we just tear the bandaid off quickly. If he wants to play elsewhere let him. Then if he wants to sign a 1 day contract to retire with the bears, then I say we let him. But this team needs to rebuild. Briggs coming back doesn't allow us to do that to the best of our capabilities.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briggs was an absolute monster in the mid-late 2000's, and far outperformed Urlacher in multiple seasons.

But he's finished now. I don't think I want him back, unless it's super-duper cheap. But even then, IMO… his attitude has been shit. IMO

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briggs was a difference maker before he got hurt. I really dont understand all the hate just because the guy took a film day off to open his BBQ joint.

The guy straight up said that he lost interest and was looking up at the clock in meetings during the second half of the season. Come on… he's a dog now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briggs was an absolute monster in the mid-late 2000's, and far outperformed Urlacher in multiple seasons.
Briggs was a bad ass for many many years. I would take him back if he was cheap. Mostly because we have no LBers that I like right now.