• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Briere

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...wait did i say i liked what danny briere is doing this year or did i just comment that hartnell and timmonen were not overpaid (and if so just minorly overpaid)

i agree with you that we need much more out of danny. but i dunno, me i'm somewhat of an optimist. hell...i'm still bryz's biggest supporter over here, and also an advocate for JVR staying. so danny for me, i can have him or trade him, i dont think you get much return from trading him and i know he can be better than what he has been so i just hope he finds himself.

I wasn't accusing you of anything, I took what you said about over payment and thought about it some so I decided to look at the #'s. JVR I'm a huge fan of he has a lot of potential and he's only 22. Bryz can be a great goalie but he needs more out of the teaming front of him, he's not Hasek, Brodeur or Roy. Briere is where it ends for me though. We just simply don't need him, we have 3 young ultra talented centers in G, Schenn, Couturier. Then you have to think about how in the past few years Briere's prudcution has gone down and his minor penalties have gone up(hurting the team),now he seems to have lost his confidence completely. I don't like the type of player he is but it's painful for me to watch a guy that talented shit the bed constantly. He looks like he needs a fresh start someplace in a new system and more importantly the Flyers NEED to free up cap space to stay competitive with the uncertainty of next year's cap situation. There are plenty of contenders looking for a good center and I'd be happy with a good prospect and a pick as a return for now, but who knows with the asking prices maybe we can get Luke Schenn & a 1st. :tongue:

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
in regards to the cap situation next year...since the lockout the cap has gone up every year, and i expect it to continue that way.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in regards to the cap situation next year...since the lockout the cap has gone up every year, and i expect it to continue that way.

The League wants the cap to be lowered so that all teams can actually compete, not just the teams with the big $ behind them. It's ridiculous but it isn't totally out of the question.

Even if the cap does raise we still need 2-3 d-men and to re-sign Jagr & Vorachek(any other rfa's we want to as well). The $ just isn't there now.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they cut the cap to make teams more competitive, they'll have to restructure all the current contracts, or allow more than 1 buyout.. there's around 10+ teams right now that are right up against the cap, if they cut the cap that'd be 10 teams over it

i think there are a few contracts the flyers would love to get out of (bryz, pronger, probably briere considering the cap decrease) if they could.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they cut the cap to make teams more competitive, they'll have to restructure all the current contracts, or allow more than 1 buyout.. there's around 10+ teams right now that are right up against the cap, if they cut the cap that'd be 10 teams over it

i think there are a few contracts the flyers would love to get out of (bryz, pronger, probably briere considering the cap decrease) if they could.

I'm worried even if the cap stays the same cause 6.5m is not enough room to re-sign and field a competitive team with the lack of prospect depth we have on the back end.

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're blind if you think you can compar briere to timo or harra especially this year. At this point I'll go on record now and say he lays an egg in the playoffs(if we even get there) and ruins any trade value he has along with crippling this team with his cap hit.

The mad love for DB's 1 good playoff run boggles my mind.

Hartnell this year is earning his 4+mill contract, and in the playoffs of 2010, but who when the season started, and Harts playing like crap didn't want him gone? Was he earning his contract?

Timmonen makes 6.5 mill, great solid dman, no complaints what so ever about his play, but he is a little over paid compared to others. Just look at Prongs, his cap hit is 5 mill, and Timmo at 6.5, whose better?

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're blind if you think you can compar briere to timo or harra especially this year. At this point I'll go on record now and say he lays an egg in the playoffs(if we even get there) and ruins any trade value he has along with crippling this team with his cap hit.

The mad love for DB's 1 good playoff run boggles my mind.

I'll go on record and say Briere will do just fine in the playoffs, when the Flyers get there. He has for sooooo many years already!!!!!!!!

1 good playoff?? Are u a Flyers fan?

07-08, 16 points, 17gp, this was his 1st good playoff with Philly
08-09, 4 points, 6gp, played on the 3rd line, injuries killed him that year
09-10, 30 points, broke a record to, 23gp
10-11, 9 points, 11gp

1 good playoff right

and in Buffalo

05-06 19 points, 18gp
06-07 15 points, 16gp

who is blind now?

Briere HAS 1 of the best point/per game averages in playoff history!

Last edited by a moderator:

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The League wants the cap to be lowered so that all teams can actually compete, not just the teams with the big $ behind them. It's ridiculous but it isn't totally out of the question.

Even if the cap does raise we still need 2-3 d-men and to re-sign Jagr & Vorachek(any other rfa's we want to as well). The $ just isn't there now.

The only reason the cap would go down is if theres less $ made, and parts of players salaries are kept in escrow, and the cap floor is too high for small markets. It would have nothing to do with teams competing because there is so much parity in the league already, just look at how many teams still have a chance at the playoffs, its crazy.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go on record and say Briere will do just fine in the playoffs, when the Flyers get there. He has for sooooo many years already!!!!!!!!

1 good playoff?? Are u a Flyers fan?

07-08, 16 points, 17gp, this was his 1st good playoff with Philly
08-09, 4 points, 6gp, played on the 3rd line, injuries killed him that year
09-10, 30 points, broke a record to, 23gp
10-11, 9 points, 11gp

1 good playoff right

and in Buffalo

05-06 19 points, 18gp
06-07 15 points, 16gp

who is blind now?

Briere HAS 1 of the best point/per game averages in playoff history!

i know exactly what his playoff stats are I actually put them in this topic on the first page. he's a ppg player in the playoffs, at $6.5m he better fucking be. I also illustrated how half his its on are on the PP and that his line mates have been hand picked for him. In other words he is successful as much because of who was around him as his own talent.

You're missing the bigger picture yet again. We have $6.5m in cap space with only 3 NHL defensemen signed, Jagr a ufa & a bunch of rfa's including Vorachek. How the fuck do you value Briere over all the guys we'd have to pass on signing/re-signing to keep an aging players whose stats keep going down year after year while his PIM's rise. The truth is we don't need him and at this point we're started to hurt Scheen and Couturiers development by not giving them enough playing time.

Briere is old and overpaid, he needs to go. It's that simple sorry you don't agree but you're obviously not looking at the big picture here.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason the cap would go down is if theres less $ made, and parts of players salaries are kept in escrow, and the cap floor is too high for small markets. It would have nothing to do with teams competing because there is so much parity in the league already, just look at how many teams still have a chance at the playoffs, its crazy.

So how do you finish putting a ten on the ice, who do you sign/re-sign and who do you let go. You need to remember that Pronger can't be put on LTIR till the season starts so that fucks them in FA even with the % cushion. So go ahead and explain it who's on this team next year that helps us compete for a cup without moving a big contract?

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
His linemates have been hand picked? Who has he played with thats so good since he has been in Philly thats made him better. He made prospal/harts/leino better in his playoff runs.

The Flyers score with the sum of there parts, are coots/schenn 2nd line centers rights now? Will they develop and get better, yes, but right now they need Briere for the playoffs. Why did Philly trade for kubina/grossman if they didn't want to make a real run at the cup.

Briere has NMC anyways, so he is in control.

The 6.5 mill you say the Flyers will have is that without Prongs 5 mill contract

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So how do you finish putting a ten on the ice, who do you sign/re-sign and who do you let go. You need to remember that Pronger can't be put on LTIR till the season starts so that fucks them in FA even with the % cushion. So go ahead and explain it who's on this team next year that helps us compete for a cup without moving a big contract?

You know for a fact that the cap is going down, or staying the same? how do you know it doesn't go up?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could save 4.5 million by dealing JVR immediately.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if it does go up, which seems to be unlikely with teams struggling to get to the floor, it'll go up a max of 2 mil i think

(11/12)
briere 6.5
giroux 3.75
jvr 4.25
schenn 3.1
read .9
coots 1.375
hartnell 4.2
talbot 1.75
shelley 1.1
rinaldo .5
simmonds 1.75

(5/7)
timo 6.5
pronger 4.9
coburn 3.2
mesz 4
lilja .7

(2/2)
bryz 5.6
bob 1.75

total: 55.8 mil
cap (+2 mil) = 66.3

so you have 10.5 mil in space.. say pronger is done you have 15.4, shelley 16.5.. we'll just assume that stuff lines up w/ LTIR for pronger.. so you need 3 d-men (assuming lilja is your 7th) and 2 forwards

from what i've seen i'd gladly take kubina and grossman back.. give each of them a slight raise and go 4 for kubina, 2 for grossman.. 9.4 left for a dman and 2 forwards.. say gust (.8) makes enough progress to 'replace' carle and you're at 8.5 with just 2 forwards needed.. say you give voracek a significant raise that he deserves, put him at 4.. you're at 4.5 mil with this lineup

hartnell.giroux.jvr
voracek.briere.simmonds
read.schenn.couturier
***.tablot.rinaldo

coburn.timonen
mesz.kubina
gust.grossman

bryz
bob

not a bad place to be at all if you ask me.. assuming schenn/couturier/read/jvr all improve

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awaz, you think Jagr will be back?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if it does go up, which seems to be unlikely with teams struggling to get to the floor, it'll go up a max of 2 mil i think

(11/12)
briere 6.5
giroux 3.75
jvr 4.25
schenn 3.1
read .9
coots 1.375
hartnell 4.2
talbot 1.75
shelley 1.1
rinaldo .5
simmonds 1.75

(5/7)
timo 6.5
pronger 4.9
coburn 3.2
mesz 4
lilja .7

(2/2)
bryz 5.6
bob 1.75

total: 55.8 mil
cap (+2 mil) = 66.3

so you have 10.5 mil in space.. say pronger is done you have 15.4, shelley 16.5.. we'll just assume that stuff lines up w/ LTIR for pronger.. so you need 3 d-men (assuming lilja is your 7th) and 2 forwards

from what i've seen i'd gladly take kubina and grossman back.. give each of them a VERY slight raise and go 4 for kubina, 2 for grossman.. 9.4 left for a dman and 2 forwards.. say gust (.8) makes enough progress to 'replace' carle and you're at 8.5 with just 2 forwards needed.. say you give voracek a significant raise that he deserves, put him at 4.. you're at 4.5 mil with this lineup

hartnell.giroux.jvr
voracek.briere.simmonds
read.schenn.couturier
***.tablot.rinaldo

coburn.timonen
mesz.kubina
gust.grossman

bryz
bob

not a bad place to be at all if you ask me.. assuming schenn/couturier/read/jvr all improve

The problem with this is we still have Bryz in the mix.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Danny will have to prove everyone wrong AGAIN.

Man if we listened to everyone on this board, Hartnell, Briere and others would be gone.

Briere has been our best player in the playoffs the last 2 years

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awaz, you think Jagr will be back?

i dno.. he says the right things, seems to want to stay, but i think after a pretty decent season here a team will overpay for him and run him out of what the flyers want to pay

i wouldnt give him more than 3.5, and even that i'm not sure.. gotta see whats out there come July in terms of forwards.. but with that group, id rather add another defensively responsible guy, get rinaldo to play some tough defense, and have a 4th line that you can throw out against teams top lines to shut them down (plus mixing it up)