• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

brewing software

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just wondering what everyone here uses. I use an app on my phone called BrewR, I like it ok, but it is limited. My wife suggested beersmith for the Ipad. Does anyone use that? How do you like it?

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of what I brew is an already put together kit, but if I had additional ingredients, I use brewersfriend.com's calculator.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brewsmith

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i also use BrewR, pretty handy i think, i like the brew day timer too with the alarms that go off for hop additions. But as you said it is limited, it is more (unless i havent explored it enough) just for recipe management.

I also use another ap called Homebrew Calculator which saves me from having to use my brain for many things that have to be figured out on brew day.

I used to use Beersmith on my computer, until my computer blew up, and i havent bought a new one yet, but when i do, will likely put beersmith on it

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will have to check out some of the items you guys listed. I need to go ahead and get Beersmith. Have heard that is far and away the best software. Although it is not free, I believe it is only $25-$50, definitely within budget for a favorite hobby of mine.

I use Hopville which has improved and has some of the neat features that BS has for all-grain brewing. The just added some of that stuff in the last few months so it has some bugs..but it is super great for FREE stuff. Check that out Crow and Cobra if you aren't quite ready to spend the $$ on BS.

Mr. Malty also has some nice little calculators..

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when i had it, i think i got beersmith for like $25, maybe a little less. The other two I use were free aps.

Sparks, is this hopville one a computer program? or is it an ap that can go on smartphones?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BeerSmith is awesome, especially if you don't have a vast background on what constitutes the different beer styles (for example, a dry stout isn't the same thing as a sweet stout; an American IPA isn't the same as a British IPA, and West Coast isn't the same as East Coast for the American IPA).

You have to auto-correct for your specific equipment, otherwise the water volumes will all be wrong. I would highly recommend this software to anybody who's never used it before.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sparks, is this hopville one a computer program? or is it an ap that can go on smartphones?

No, unfortunately it doesn't have an app yet. It isn't really a program that you would download to your ipad or PC per se, but more of a website that has built in software. You just log in and it is all saved on the server (you can still print the recipe for hard copy).

Hopville - Home for Brewers

My only complaint is that it is a little buggy and that it doesn't have really nice auto/correct setup options/fudge factors for your independent system. Stuff like temp and water losses, grain absorption, etc. It does have a really nice recipe formulator and some other calculators. Check it out. Not bad for free.

You have to auto-correct for your specific equipment, otherwise the water volumes will all be wrong. I would highly recommend this software to anybody who's never used it before.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBrew

It's free. Does the job I guess.