• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

breakout year

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
each season, new guys tend to have breakout years for the flyers..producing huge numbers while being predicted to only be middle of the road.

last year it was leino in the playoffs for example and in prior years its been carter breaking out for 46 goals or hartnell having his 30-30 year.

whos gonna be that guy for the flyers this year?

my moneys on JVR or zherdev.

lots of people dont realize JVR was being developed in the NCAA and for a power forward playing his first year in the NHL for 82 games can be taxing and power forwards tend to take a little longer to develop. at times JVR did show signs of dominance. dont be surprised if he puts up a 30-32 goal year.

also, zherdev has LOTS of talent. just watch some of his highlight reel goals in the past. when hes on, he can be a dominant game changer. and he was never on a potent offense..he played with columbus and the rangers, who were middle of the pack to bottom of the league teams in terms of offensive production. now that hes a little older and will have guys like briere, giroux, richards, pronger, timonen feeding him the puck, look for him to also have a similiar 30-32 goal year. maybe even 35. i really believe he has that kind of skill.

who do you guys think has the potential for an unexpected breakout year?

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meszaros will return to the land of 35 points. I've already booked my vacation on that bet!

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope JvR has a break out year, but the only way that happens is if he develops a willingness to fight hard for loose pucks along the walls and in the corners. Hopefully with a full year and off season under his belt he'll now have that confidence and upper body strength to allow him to do just that.

Giroux could stand to be more consistent too. After the display he put on in the playoffs, I expect him to dominate more often going forward.

Fartnell has to be better than he was at all times last year, this year. Whatever "personal" problems he had better be long forgotten memories because this dickhead was a detriment for the Flyers the whole year.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Giroux's playoff persona becomes a regular thing

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be sweet to see JVR dominate this team would then be pretty unstoppable on offense as its already close with the emergence of Leino. But if I had to bet I'll be taking Zherdev in my local hockey pool he could easily put up 30 goals and a bunch of assists on the right line as he now has tons of talent around him without the bullseye on his back. Can't wait!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be sweet to see JVR dominate this team would then be pretty unstoppable on offense as its already close with the emergence of Leino. But if I had to bet I'll be taking Zherdev in my local hockey pool he could easily put up 30 goals and a bunch of assists on the right line as he now has tons of talent around him without the bullseye on his back. Can't wait!

I think the loss of Gagne means that guys like Zherdev, JvR, Giroux and Leino need to all be threats to score throughout the season. If they are, the offense that Gagne provided will not be missed and in fact, we would then be a stronger offensive team without him.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the loss of Gagne means that guys like Zherdev, JvR, Giroux and Leino need to all be threats to score throughout the season. If they are, the offense that Gagne provided will not be missed and in fact, we would then be a stronger offensive team without him.

Yep agreed but I think they'll easily overcome last years offensive numbers as even Harts will be sure to do better. I think everyone agrees its how they play in their own zone the D will be better but the forwards still have to support them and help move the puck out of the zone. You'd think a guy like Z would get that by now after playing under defensive coaches in his young career.

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
my money is on leino. i have not watched him for a full season. but he showed me in the playoffs that he has a 6th sense around the puck that just is not present in many players. he could be something special.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going with the obvious choice: Jody Shelley. WHy else would he get a multi-year million dollar plus contract...

haha i like this pick though.. i think we'll get over his contract during the season.. he can be very disruptive when he's on the ice

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am going with the obvious choice: Jody Shelley. WHy else would he get a multi-year million dollar plus contract...

well, the thread was focusing on "breakouts". so that means if shelley scores 3 goals this year he would have increased his goal production 33%. and if he keeps his +/- at 2010 levels maybe he'll win the bobby clarke award as the teams most valuable player.

....what? it could happen.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really looking forward to the Atlantic division this year. I really think things are going to be very intense, more than usual of course. Minus the Piles. Philly is already a team with a lot of grit, Rangers are going to pack a punch this year, and the Pittstains have upped their blue line significantly. The fairies in the Garden State will do their normal, suck in the first half, and pick it up in the second, then fail in the playoffs. I AM SO READY FOR SOME DAMN HOCKEY! October is coming way too damn slow.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... And we all know this is going to be Ryan Callahan's breakout year. I can already see the cup.

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
... And we all know this is going to be Ryan Callahan's breakout year. I can already see the cup.

anyone with a t.v. in gotham can see the cup rolling down broad street next summer.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone with a t.v. in gotham can see the cup rolling down broad street next summer.

Luckily, my T.V. is in Connecticut, and I'm just not getting that channel.