• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Braylon Edwards 2011

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ginn does get resigned. Harbs has shown some "interest" in designing plays specifically for him, whether he's the ball carrier, deep threat or decoy.... I think Ginn's versatility makes him quite appealing.

I have noticed on quite a few TD's that Ginn's routes have played a big part in the other WR/TE scoring a TD.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ten isn't great, but it does put him in the category for having decent hands.

He's not Darrell Jackson, but he doens't have good hands. We'll leave it at that.

Not as talented as T.O (The future HOF) but he is one of the more talented WRs in the league when healthy.

Ok I vehemently disagree with this statement. Braylon isn't really that talented. He's not overly quick, fast, doens't have very good hands, isn't great after the catch; I'll give him credit for blocking...

You can't just snap your fingers and get a #1 WR just like that, I'm okay with having a good #2WR (in Crabtree) and a great #2WR (in Edwards).

You can't just snap your fingers and get anything. That doesn't mean you don't pursue a #1 WR. And Crabtree is probably better than Braylon at this point.

It's safe to say the niners can sign Edwards for cheaper than we did his year because of the injury and the strong possibility of the 49ers being a legitimate SB contender next year.

If that's the case then cool. Sign him on the cheap. Can't hurt to have him on the roster competing (see the VaGiants' WR corps). But relying on him as a starter for the long term is a mistake IMO. Alex could REALLY use a true #1 WR (something he's never had).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One thing I will say about Edwards on field ability is that when he gets the ball, things feel different than with any of our other WRs. Crabtree has, at times, shown a little of what I get from Edwards, but it's the closest to TO as we've had in the sense that every time he has the ball, he could score.

No one else on the team does that. Kendall Hunter is probably the closest, but when Braylon gets the ball, there's an air of excitement around it.

That's a nice thing to have in the passing game.

I also disagree (with clyde I think it was) that he isn't a good fit for our offense. With the skills he has, and the attitude he has shown, I think he's a good fit in pretty much any offense. The only issue is his hands.

Part of why I'd like to see more of KW. It looks like he might have a bit of this, too.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, I agree with the Morgan sentiments, I think (hope) he comes back and at a fair price.

However, I'm not sure I would define our WR situation as thin. We have seven, and for a team that uses both its TE's as targets, one a primary, that is a solid # of WR's. Unless, you are referring to those still on contract after this year, then, yes, we are thin.

Yeah, I was talking about our FA outlook. Pretty sure only Crabtree and KW are under contract.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What were my expectations? Not much really. I didn't even like the guy in college. He was my '05 bust pick. And outside of 1 season I don't really see how he's proven me wrong. The shoulder & knee don't make balls bounce off his chest. He's not a talented enough WR to make up for the drops like TO was. He's a decent #2 (kind of like Crabtree). If the Niners were to trade Crabby I'd be all for re-signing Braylon. But the Niners need a #1 WR not 2 decent #2's.

The injuries only make the case to bring him back worse in my mind.

He's indisputably one of the two best players to come out of that top-10 (it's worth noting that at this point, the top three might all be on our roster). That's a relative basis, but he certainly hasn't been close to a bust. Disappointment? Sure. Bust? Not even close. The guy can play when he's healthy.

He has had problems with drops in the past, but prior to this year he had improved steadily over the past few years. I believe he only had a couple last year. Injuries can affect hands because guys think about the injuries, getting hit, etc. instead of just focusing on the catch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He's not Darrell Jackson, but he doens't have good hands. We'll leave it at that.

Ok I vehemently disagree with this statement. Braylon isn't really that talented. He's not overly quick, fast, doens't have very good hands, isn't great after the catch; I'll give him credit for blocking...

You can't just snap your fingers and get anything. That doesn't mean you don't pursue a #1 WR. And Crabtree is probably better than Braylon at this point.

If that's the case then cool. Sign him on the cheap. Can't hurt to have him on the roster competing (see the VaGiants' WR corps). But relying on him as a starter for the long term is a mistake IMO. Alex could REALLY use a true #1 WR (something he's never had).

The same could be said of Dwayne Bowe, Marques Colston, and Brandon Marshall. Those guys may not be elite, but they're very good. Edwards has a similar skill set.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The same could be said of Dwayne Bowe, Marques Colston, and Brandon Marshall. Those guys may not be elite, but they're very good. Edwards has a similar skill set.

Edwards isn't even close to the talent level of those guys IMO.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
edwards has the skill set like those guys, but he has never been a truely reliable pass catcher or playmaker. however, he's better than anything we have at wr. we're gonna need him healthy come playoff time.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I would disagree. I would put a healthy Edwards slightly behind those guys. But the overarching point is that those three aren't overly quick, fast, or have great hands. They still get it done.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yet Edwards has the best single season of the group. And he did with Derek Anderson at QB.

Edwards 80/1289/16

Colston 98/1202/11

Marshall 101/1120/11 ~OR~ 102/1325/7

Bowe 72/1162/15

So upon further research, Bowe has come close but he's down in catches, yards, yards per catch and TDs.

For Marshall, his best season is debatable. Do you value TD or yards more. Either way, it isn't as good as Edwards' best.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yet Edwards has the best single season of the group. And he did with Derek Anderson at QB.

Edwards 80/1289/16

Colston 98/1202/11

Bowe 72/1162/15

So upon further research, Bowe has come close but he's down in catches, yards, yards per catch and TDs.

For Marshall, his best season is debatable. Do you value TD or yards more. Either way, it isn't as good as Edwards' best.

And to think Alex Smith would have been the best QB Edwards has had throw him the ball in the NFL

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Edwards 80/1289/16

Colston 98/1202/11

Bowe 72/1162/15

That season for Braylon is like the year Brady Anderson hit 50 HRs. Never gonna happen again.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2006 and 2010 are more what i would expect from a healthy edwards. wasn't that fluke year when anderson was gunning the ball all over the field?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That season for Braylon is like the year Brady Anderson hit 50 HRs. Never gonna happen again.

Comparing anything that has happened in football in the last 10 years to anything that happened in baseball from 1994 to 2007 or so is absolutely ridiculous.

Edwards clearly has the ability to put up those numbers unassisted.

What kind of numbers would he have put up in the SD offense the last few years? How about New Orleans with Drew Brees throwing him the ball?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Edwards 80/1289/16

Colston 98/1202/11

Bowe 72/1162/15

I stand by my statement. The same thing could be said of Derek Anderson. Just because he had one decent year doesn't mean he's a decent QB. Michael Clayton had 1 great year & is a terrible WR. Brandon Lloyd had an MVP caliber year and nobody mistakes him for a #1 WR.

Michael Westbrook, Marcus Robinson, Germaine Crowell, Kevin Curtis, Willie jackson, Jerry Porter, Donald Hayes & Peerless price to a lesser extent, Lames McNight, Kellen Winslow had that one great season, Ashley Lelie, Rod Gardner, Drew Bennett... Shall I go on?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I stand by my statement. The same thing could be said of Derek Anderson. Just because he had one decent year doesn't mean he's a decent QB. Michael Clayton had 1 great year & is a terrible WR. Brandon Lloyd had an MVP caliber year and nobody mistakes him for a #1 WR.

Michael Westbrook, Marcus Robinson, Germaine Crowell, Kevin Curtis, Willie jackson, Jerry Porter, Donald Hayes & Peerless price to a lesser extent, Lames McNight, Kellen Winslow had that one great season, Ashley Lelie, Rod Gardner, Drew Bennett... Shall I go on?

Braylon Edwards has one monster year - the likes of which very few WRs will have in their careers - and several other strong years. Let's not act like he's been terrible every year other than 2007. Between his rookie year and this year, he's averaged 926 yards and 7 TDs a year. Even excluding his one phenomenal year, he averaged 835 yards and 5 TDs in that span. Excluding 2007, he's never played for an offense that ranked in the top-20 in passing yards, and twice played for the 31st-ranked units.

I know you don't like him, Sick, but calling Edwards a "bust" is ridiculous. You're seeing what you want to when you look at him, not reality.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Braylon Edwards has one monster year - the likes of which very few WRs will have in their careers - and several other strong years. Let's not act like he's been terrible every year other than 2007. Between his rookie year and this year, he's averaged 926 yards and 7 TDs a year. Even excluding his one phenomenal year, he averaged 835 yards and 5 TDs in that span. Excluding 2007, he's never played for an offense that ranked in the top-20 in passing yards, and twice played for the 31st-ranked units.

I know you don't like him, Sick, but calling Edwards a "bust" is ridiculous. You're seeing what you want to when you look at him, not reality.

No, I PREDICTED him being a bust; I admitted I missed the prediction due to the fact that he had that monster year an a couple of good ones. I'd want more from the 3rd pick overall, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a bust. If he didn't have that year in '07 it might be a different story...

I didn't say he's a bad WR. I said he's not a true #1 and that he's nowhere near as talented as the Brandon Marshalls & Dwayne Bowes of the world. In fact I think when he's healthy he's a good #2 (Crabby may have surpassed him though; we'll see).

I think the Niners need a true #1 WR. Desean Jackson COULD be that guy (although it's a bit of a risk). If Jackson can't get stupid money I say go for it...

I'm starting to like Kendall Wright too. Colston's an option, but I'd be hesitant to sign a Saints WR. Bowe Will probably get the tag, and Vincent Jackson is an even bigger pain in the ass than Desean (Any relation?). Plus Vincent should get more money than Desean IMO, and I'd be hesitant to sign a WR who's used to catching balls from Rivers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No, I PREDICTED him being a bust; I admitted I missed the prediction due to the fact that he had that monster year an a couple of good ones. I'd want more from the 3rd pick overall, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a bust. If he didn't have that year in '07 it might be a different story...

I didn't say he's a bad WR. I said he's not a true #1 and that he's nowhere near as talented as the Brandon Marshalls & Dwayne Bowes of the world. In fact I think when he's healthy he's a good #2 (Crabby may have surpassed him though; we'll see).

I think the Niners need a true #1 WR. Desean Jackson COULD be that guy (although it's a bit of a risk). If Jackson can't get stupid money I say go for it...

I'm starting to like Kendall Wright too. Colston's an option, but I'd be hesitant to sign a Saints WR. Bowe Will probably get the tag, and Vincent Jackson is an even bigger pain in the ass than Desean (Any relation?). Plus Vincent should get more money than Desean IMO, and I'd be hesitant to sign a WR who's used to catching balls from Rivers.

You admitted he wasn't a bust? This was your statement in this thread:

What were my expectations? Not much really. I didn't even like the guy in college. He was my '05 bust pick. And outside of 1 season I don't really see how he's proven me wrong.

800+ yards and 5 TDs a year, on average, after we eliminate his best season is not a bust, especially given the offenses he's played for. It's good production. Of course you expect more from the third overall pick, but there's simply no argument for using the word bust.

Again, I never said he was as good as those guys, just that the specific objections you made could be applied to all three of them. All are more physical than Edwards, though I think if he was healthy and in a more friendly system (read: one that actually throws the ball) he would put up very comparable numbers.

I'm far from wedded to Edwards, and expect he will leave this offseason. But let's be fair to the guy.