• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brandon Reilly the great tipper

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell you this much, I'll serve up a piece of Jeds moms hot ass anyday.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a cook for 6 years. Loved it! Worked with a lot of great people. Expo is the shit tho. Gawd I miss flirting with all them girls.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always preferred expo. You just stand on the line bullshitting with the cooks and hitting on the hot servers. Pays better and you don't have to deal with customers personally. I made BANK doing that, but once all of my friends started quitting it wasn't any fun anymore. Expo is literally the best possible job in food service. Virtually no responsibility outside of reading a ticket and putting orders on trays.

Worked at Village Inn from 15-18 through high school.

The manager (female) started me as a bus-boy. I lasted 3 days wearing black slacks, white shirt, black shoes, and a black bow-tie. I asked her if I could wash dishes and she obliged with a strange look like 'nobody wants to wash dishes'.
By the end of summer I was promoted to "Batter-Boy", where I was slicing meats, making salads, and pancake and waffle batters.
When I was done with the prep work (5-6 hours) they trained me as pancake/plate prep cook when they were slow in the afternoons (2-3 hrs). I was promoted to pancake/plate prep cook withing a few months and started learning Egg Cook duties soon after during slow afternoon hours. Made Egg Cook after a few more months then kitchen manager a few months before I joined the military to learn a real trade.
There is a high turnover in the restaurant biz, so it's easy to climb the ladder if you have any motivation/brains at all.
During busy hours Village Inn has two egg cooks and two pancake cooks (one pancake cook to suport each egg cook).
The egg cook makes the eggs, omelettes, hash browns, and runs the grill for steaks and burgers.
The pancake cook makes the pancakes, waffles, and preps the plates together for the egg cook to drop the burger on the bun or steak on the plate. The pancake cook has the fries, garnishes and grilled bun ready to go.
The sausages or bacon are all cooked at the start of shift and are just kept warm and thrown on the plate.
Hash browns are cooked fresh as is anything deep fried.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW

Egg Cooks get all the decent waitress ass. :)

Pancake cooks get sloppy seconds of that decent ass.

Dishwashers get the fatties.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The manager (female) started me as a bus-boy. I lasted 3 days wearing black slacks, white shirt, black shoes, and a black bow-tie. I asked her if I could wash dishes and she obliged with a strange look like 'nobody wants to wash dishes'.
By the end of summer I was promoted to "Batter-Boy", where I was slicing meats, making salads, and pancake and waffle batters.
When I was done with the prep work (5-6 hours) they trained me as pancake/plate prep cook when they were slow in the afternoons (2-3 hrs). I was promoted to pancake/plate prep cook withing a few months and started learning Egg Cook duties soon after during slow afternoon hours. Made Egg Cook after a few more months then kitchen manager a few months before I joined the military to learn a real trade.
There is a high turnover in the restaurant biz, so it's easy to climb the ladder if you have any motivation/brains at all.
During busy hours Village Inn has two egg cooks and two pancake cooks (one pancake cook to suport each egg cook).
The egg cook makes the eggs, omelettes, hash browns, and runs the grill for steaks and burgers.
The pancake cook makes the pancakes, waffles, and preps the plates together for the egg cook to drop the burger on the bun or steak on the plate. The pancake cook has the fries, garnishes and grilled bun ready to go.
The sausages or bacon are all cooked at the start of shift and are just kept warm and thrown on the plate.

I think the main thing I took away from it, is there is absolutely no shame in being a server or working in a restaurant in any capacity. It's not something to be looked down upon for doing. I disagree with you that it isn't a "real trade" though. A lot of really skilled people in the restaurant biz that love what they do.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the main thing I took away from it, is there is absolutely no shame in being a server or working in a restaurant in any capacity. It's not something to be looked down upon for doing. I disagree with you that it isn't a "real trade" though. A lot of really skilled people in the restaurant biz that love what they do.

I think restaurant management is a "trade". Particularly if you're working in a franchise and can move up to regional management.

Waiter/Waitress/Dishwasher/Cook/Host/Hostess are high turnover stepping stone jobs. Good to get you through high school, college, or to get by if you're unemployed from a real trade. They're good resume material.

Being a real honest to goodness Chef is a "trade".

A cook at a franchise restaurant is NOT a "Chef". They're going by a requirement. They're not creating anything.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think putting the server on blast on social media is what makes me mad the most.

Riley should have went to the manager said hey Iam ooffended blah blah blah boom free meal. And everything would have been in e and quiet.

I agree with that but to say BR needs to sick it up, nah server just kissed his tip good bye.

Edit: no free meals or comps either if you're doing it to send a message otherwise they'll write you off as out to get a comp. I have turned down several free meals to prove I am serious.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to walk a mile in anouther mans shoes

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being understanding and being a schmuck are not the same thing. If you don't mind some guy telling you you suck that's cool. If you pay him to do it sorry but that makes you a schmuck

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he didn't get sprinkles, they don't get those

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
made the news most likely because he was an idiot for posting it himself. Why would you do that?

And if the server had posted it he would have been fired

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Village Inn is gross. Even at 3 am and drunk. There are certain places that I will never ever go eat. And if for some reason I have to go eat there I never expect good service, that way I am never upset or disappointed. Rather I am upset at myself for eating there. A few of the places I won't eat are:

Village Inn
Denny's
IHOP
Applebees
Chili's

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Village Inn is gross. Even at 3 am and drunk. There are certain places that I will never ever go eat. And if for some reason I have to go eat there I never expect good service, that way I am never upset or disappointed. Rather I am upset at myself for eating there. A few of the places I won't eat are:

Village Inn
Denny's
IHOP
Applebees
Chili's

I worked at Village Inn in the late 70's. They were better then, but it also depended which one you ate at.

I ate an early lunch at the Bellevue Village Inn a couple weeks ago and the service was terrible. Our drinks went empty and we were sitting in a booth were I could see into the back. Our waitress was back there texting on her phone and chatting with other help. I watched someone from a different table catch her coming out and reminding her about something they'd requested earlier. It was about 10:30 am and the place was really slow.
Once she served the food at our table she never once came back to ask how things were or if we needed anything else. However, she was sure to bring our bills when we were ready to go.

My bill was like $12 and I paid with credit card and gave her a $1 tip. <10% (at least she got the order right)

My colleague's bill was similar but he paid with cash. The hostess asked if he wanted to include a tip and he said "No". The hostess asked if everything was alright and he explained his dissatisfaction with the service. The hostess then took $2 extra off his bill.

I usually tip 15% for average service and 20% for exceptional service.

I do the free Veterans Day meal at Applebee's every year and it's always been good.
I didn't care for our server this year because it was obvious she was trying to rush me and my kids out the door so she could get another table seated. We weren't even done eating and she was hounding "Are you ready for your bill?", "How are you going to pay your bill?" She even asked if she could "Take my plate" while there was still food on it with me chewing.
It was obvious what she was up to. Get people out faster = Get new people seated in her section = More tips.

She was at 20% before that. Her impatience dropped her to 10%.

I hope it was worth it to rush customers like we're somehow there for her.

Last edited:

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I waited tables/bartended for about 5 years. I think everybody should do it at least once just to see things from a server's perspective. However, it's not rocket science. And having been in the industry before, I cut the server slack if they are slammed and service isn't top notch. But it's also on the management to make sure the servers have what they need and if not how best to help. Could be something as simple as cleaning a table or refilling a drink.

Most of the time with bad service I will blame bad management.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is everyone at sometime has had shitty service with food. Its not news. but since BR treeted about it now I have to hear about it and it pisses me off. I hate social media more then cancer at least with cancer I beleive there iis hope for a cure.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As much as I want to defend a Husker, our fans had every right to be pissed after that game.

I'm guessing "bashing" went something like this......"why in the hell did we throw a 50/50 ball on 4th and 1 from the 15 yard line?!!!"

Don't stiff a waiter because they're pissed the Huskers lost :L

It's not because the Huskers lost, but why does WC Riley "gift" games away?

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm a player and I hear that, I'm not passive aggressive about it. I look them dead in the eye and say that I'm a starting fucking wide receiver for Nebraska and I put my blood sweat and tears into that team you just talked shit about you fucking nobody punk. Now go get me a coke refill and I'll think about whether or not to tip you, bitch.
Ah yes, once again with the diplomatic approach I see....LOL

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very complicated process thar as I do it all in my kitchen :D
I do appreciate everything hot on the plate when I get it tho :thumb:

Wife drug my ass out on black Friday, We had to pick up a tool for my soon to be son-in-law for a wedding gift, so we went to Village Idiot for breakfast and they were not busy at all.