• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BP Top Farms

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball Prospectus | Prospects Will Break Your Heart: 2014 Organizational Rankings

1 - Minnesota
2 - Chicago
3 - Pittsburgh
4 - Boston
5 - Houston
6 - St Louis
7 - Kansas City
8 - New York Mets
9 - Texas
10 - Colorado
26 - Tampa
27 - Detroit
28 - Oakland
29 - Milwaukee
30 - Los Angeles Angels

1. Minnesota Twins
Farm System Ranking in 2013: 4
2014 Top Ten Prospects: Link
State of the System: No team in baseball can boast the same level of top tier talent on both sides of the ball and impressive depth at every level.
Top Prospect: Byron Buxton (1)
Breakout Candidates for 2014: Lewis Thorpe and Jorge Polanco
Prospects on the BP 101: 8
Must-See Affiliate: Low-A Cedar Rapids
Prospects to See There: Kohl Stewart, Felix Jorge, Stephen Gonsalves, Ryan Eades, Lewis Thorpe
Farm System Trajectory for 2015: Down. It’s hard to stay on top, especially with some of the top talent in the system likely to graduate to the highest level (Sano, Meyer, Pinto)

30. Los Angeles Angels
Farm System Ranking in 2013: 30
2014 Top Ten Prospects: Link
State of the System: Losing early draft picks hasn’t helped the Angels re-stock the farm, as the system is rich with fringe prospects and thin on high-ceiling upside.
Top Prospect: Taylor Lindsey (Not Ranked)
Breakout Candidates for 2014: Ricardo Sanchez and Natanel Delgado
Prospects on the BP 101: 0
Must-See Affiliate: Double-A Arkansas
Prospects to See There: Kaleb Cowart, R.J. Alvarez, Mark Sappington, Alex Yarbrough, Cam Bedrosian
Farm System Trajectory for 2015: Up. After two straight years on the bottom, the Angels will likely take a small step forward in 2014 thanks to emerging lower-level talent like Sanchez, Middleton, Delgado, and Green, and a pick in the first-round (15th) this June.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao at the angels.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked back through my old BA books and thought it would be neat to look back and see what organizations were ranked among the top 5 over the past 9 years.

Listed in order:

Angels
Dodgers
Brewers
Twins
Braves

Dodgers
Marlins
Angels
Diamondbacks
Brewers

Rays
Rockies
Diamondbacks
Angels
Brewers

Rays
Red Sox
Reds
Rangers
Yankees

Rangers
Marlins
Athletics
Rays
Giants

Rays
Rangers
Indians
Giants
Phillies

Royals
Braves
Rays
Blue Jays
Yankees

Nationals
Rangers
Royals
Diamondbacks
Blue Jays

Cardinals
Mariners
Rangers
Rays
Marlins

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao at the angels.

lol is right, and they have an old ass team that has long contracts. Their one young cheap player is about to be a young expensive player as well.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol is right, and they have an old ass team that has long contracts. Their one young cheap player is about to be a young expensive player as well.

At least they have Brandon Wood and Dallas McPherson locked up in their primes.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found it to be very interesting that the organization most often referred to as the best at developing players (the Cardinals) is listed only once, and the organization most often referred to as the worst (the Yankees) is listed twice. Just goes to show that evaluating talent is anything but an exact science.

You can't look at a team and say "they're all set" or "they're fucked" base on these lists, it's not that easy.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its rough being a tigers fan with them perenially having one of the worst farms and then always competing for the world series :)

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no idea what the angels are thinking. Werent they the team that traded for vernon wells a couple of years ago even though his contract was untradeable and he was declining quickly? That is a team in trouble. If you are going to spend ass loads of oney spend wisely. Buy players headed into their prime, not the downside of their careers.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have bottom five to ten for that same time frame 500?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what the angels are thinking. Werent they the team that traded for vernon wells a couple of years ago even though his contract was untradeable and he was declining quickly? That is a team in trouble. If you are going to spend ass loads of oney spend wisely. Buy players headed into their prime, not the downside of their careers.

They are caught in a spiral. They can't draft because they keep signing FA's, but they have to fill spots so they have to sign FA's. They keep getting the biggest name FA's who are on the wrong side of 30, some well over, and giving stupid contracts to. All the Angels are good for is paying the league players for production had on other teams. Then when they actually do have young talent, they move it for overpriced talent. They gave up Nap as a "throw in" to get Wells :L

And when they traded him to NYY, they ate almost another $30M

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Brewers always did have one of the best farms in the league but started depleting in with the acquisition of Sabathia and have never recovered.

Damn it

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are caught in a spiral. They can't draft because they keep signing FA's, but they have to fill spots so they have to sign FA's. They keep getting the biggest name FA's who are on the wrong side of 30, some well over, and giving stupid contracts to. All the Angels are good for is paying the league players for production had on other teams. Then when they actually do have young talent, they move it for overpriced talent. They gave up Nap as a "throw in" to get Wells :L

RESET-BUTTON.png

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The moves obviously haven't worked out but it's not that hard to see why they threw money at Pujols or Hamilton or even traded for Wells. I think big, long contracts are always a bad idea but anyone who says they didn't want their favorite team to sign Pujols after 2011 is kidding themselves.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The moves obviously haven't worked out but it's not that hard to see why they threw money at Pujols or Hamilton or even traded for Wells. I think big, long contracts are always a bad idea but anyone who says they didn't want their favorite team to sign Pujols after 2011 is kidding themselves.

I was against the fielder signing when detroit signed him and spoke of it due to mostly the longevity of the contract and how much that would kill detroits chances of being financially competitive in the last four or five years of it. Granted fielder is not pujols but he had Impressive numbers up to that point. I would have been hugely concerned if the tigers doled that contract out for pujols because of length and millions. Age plays a huge role in that process so yeah. I would have been excited of course but not happy about the last five or six years of it. I still cant believe the tigers managed to wrangle their way out of that trainwreck.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ugh! I would go insane if the tigers had that philosophy of overpaying the 30 and over crowd, especially to position players that wont be able to play the field two to three years into a seven year contract.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As soon as he started talking about 10 years, I was 100% against wanting him. My team had plenty of time to try to lock Josh up as well, we didn't want him. We also had time to lock up their 3rd big FA grab, CJ. Didn't want him either. They all had big question marks and getting late in their career, not worth the massive money they wanted. Arte thought they were.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was against the fielder signing when detroit signed him and spoke of it due to mostly the longevity of the contract and how much that would kill detroits chances of being financially competitive in the last four or five years of it. Granted fielder is not pujols but he had Impressive numbers up to that point. I would have been hugely concerned if the tigers doled that contract out for pujols because of length and millions. Age plays a huge role in that process so yeah. I would have been excited of course but not happy about the last five or six years of it. I still cant believe the tigers managed to wrangle their way out of that trainwreck.

Same here. now I have to deal with that contract on my team. I don't think it will hamstring us, but I do think we will not get near our moneys worth out of the last few years.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom five, listed 26-30

Nationals
Padres
Royals
Tigers
Cardinals

Athletics
Mariners
Padres
Reds
Mets

White Sox
Athletics
Rangers
Padres
Nationals

Pirates
Athletics
White Sox
Tigers
Astros

Diamondbacks
Cubs
Tigers
Padres
Astros

Tigers
Diamondbacks
Blue jays
Cardinals
Astros

Astros
White Sox
Athletics
Marlins
Brewers

Athletics
Phillies
Marlins
Indians
White Sox

Mets
Tigers
Giants
White Sox
Angels

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. now I have to deal with that contract on my team. I don't think it will hamstring us, but I do think we will not get near our moneys worth out of the last few years.

I agree, prince should excel the next few years in texas with that ballpark, but yes very risky last four to five years with his size, age and fact his numbers have been declining for a couple of years now.