• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bowl analysis, bowl predictions, bowl recaps... Bowl everything!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it'll be all here in this thread, as we begin yet another season of bowls. From cool games like the Sugar and the Fiesta, to potential disasters like the Frisco Bowl and the Cheez-it Bowl, they'll all be covered here.

Sound off here about the bowl games that you may or may NOT be wanting to watch; my picks will come later.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bowl ratings

For the 5th year in a row, I'm ranking the bowl games on a "hotel-star" system: From the 5-star pleasure palaces to the 1-star hooker drop-offs. This is subject to change (depending on how good the actual games turn out), but here are my choices for the best bowls:

5-star Games (A slice of heaven delivered to you) {Like the Heathman Hotel Kirkland in Washington}:
CFP Semifinals and National Championship: (Look at the marquee names we have here: 'Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame! CFB fans from all walks of life will have something to talk about in this installment of the CFP. If Alabama or Clemson [or maybe both of them] lose in the semis, it could get even better.)
Fiesta Bowl: LSU vs. UCF [1:00, January 1st] (So the Golden Knights got stiffed again, eh? That means UCF will have that "Us against the world" mentality again when they face another SEC team in the New Year's Six. But I don't think LSU [or their defense] is gonna give it up as easily as Auburn did last year in Atlanta.)​
[I'm watching this]
Taxslayer Gator Bowl: NC State vs. Texas A&M [7:30, December 31st] (This might just be the best "pure" game of the lot this bowl season: Just two teams that don't make mistakes going at each other. Oh, and the ESPN guys are already saying that "valuable momentum for next season is on the line for both teams... just more so for A&M".)

4-star Games (Not as good as the 5-star's, but you'll still love it) {Like the Tria Elegance in Istanbul}:
Rose Bowl: Ohio State vs. Washington [5:00, January 1st] (It's a classic Big-10 vs. PAC-12 contest in the "Grand-daddy of them All". Enough said... wait a moment. Isn't this the first time that the Buckeyes and Huskies are facing each other in Pasadena? Cool!)
Camping World Bowl: Syracuse vs. West Virginia [5:15, December 28th] (OK, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking I'm kissing up to the local team right now. Well, think about it! You got two old rivals facing each other in a game where a lot of points are expected. Oh, and the Mountaineers were thinking "New Year's Six" about a few weeks ago, and now they're stuck in Orlando. Will they be up for this?) [I'm watching this]
Holiday Bowl: Northwestern vs. Utah [7:00, December 31st]
(Much like the Gator Bowl, this is just a straight-up fun game between two big-league opponents. Don't expect too many mistakes in this one, either; both the Wildcats and Utes are well coached.)

3-star Games (No fancy stuff in the hallway, but you'll still like it) {Like a Hilton or a Red-Roof Inn}
Peach Bowl: Michigan vs. Florida [12:00, December 29th] (It's the 4th meeting between the Wolverines and the Gators in a bowl game. And this one could be the lowest-scoring game yet. But hey! There are some good NFL bodies on these rosters!)
Sugar Bowl: Georgia vs. Texas [8:45, January 1st] (Another contest where the names of the teams and the bowl sells itself. Although you DO have to question Georgia's fightback after falling short against 'Bama in that SEC title game.)
Las Vegas Bowl: Fresno State vs. Arizona State [3:30, December 15th] (Both ASU and Fresno will get what they want in this bowl game in Vegas. Arizona State can try one more time to win a close game, and Fresno State gets a shot to beat a "Power 5" opponent. Everyone wins!)
Servpro First Responder Bowl: Boston College vs. Boise State [1:30, December 26th] (Aw, man. Now I have to find out what bowl game this was before the "First Responders" got to it. Anyway, Boise State's in the same boat as Fresno: They got a shot to beat a "Power 5" school in a bowl. As for Boston College, I don't think they'd want to finish a season 7-6 again.)
Alamo Bowl: Iowa State vs. Washington State [9:00, December 28th] (A contrast of styles will be on display in San Antonio. It's high-flying Washington State facing a surprising team in Iowa State: A Big-12 team that can actually play defense... and also has a QB that's sick and tired of being overlooked.)
Citrus Bowl: Kentucky vs. Penn State [1:00, January 1st] (Hooray for Kentucky! They're in a New Year's Day bowl game! And it'll be the ultimate test for them as they'll try to prove they belong on the same field as a always-prepared Penn State team.)

2.5-star Specials:
Boca Raton Bowl: UAB vs. Northern Illinois [7:00, December 18th]
(Ah... The always fun matchup of "Champion vs. Champion". And considering what both UAB and NIU went through to get here, expect a fun atmosphere in Boca Raton) [I'm watching this]
Liberty Bowl: Missouri vs. Oklahoma State [3:45, December 31st]
(This one barely missed out on being a 3-star game, mainly because I'm skeptical about OK State's chances here. Oh well, at least we'll get a lot of scoring here.)

2-star Games (Looks a little dirty, but at least there are no rats) {Like a standard log cabin}
New Mexico Bowl: Utah State vs. North Texas [2:00, December 15th] (In terms of bowls pitting "mid-majors" against each other, the Boca Raton Bowl is #1. But right below that is this game, pitting former Sun Belt teams against each other [who are a combined 19-5].)
Armed Forces Bowl: Houston vs. Army [3:30, December 22nd] (This score is subject to change [it all depends on if Army beats Navy or not], but as it stands now this bowl looks like a fun contrast of styles. Army is trying to finish a season with a ranking for the first time since 1996.)
Pinstripe Bowl: Miami vs. Wisconsin [5:15, December 27th] (Miami had left down it's home state, while Wisconsin has left down... well, almost everybody. Anyway, it'll be fun to make these two losers dance for our amusement in Yankee Stadium.)
Outback Bowl: Mississippi State vs. Iowa [12:00, January 1st] (This is partly because I like Outback Steakhouse, but mostly because I wanna see if Mississippi State can cap off another fine season. Oh, and to see if Iowa has the horses to stop them.)

1.5 star Special:
Cure Bowl: Tulane vs. UL-Lafayette [1:30, December 15th]
(We got two in-state rivals fighting it out for a bowl trophy and valuable recruiting ground in the South. Who can resist that?) [I'm watching this]

1-star Games
(Where you see hookers relieving themselves in a back alley):
The rest of them.
Do what you want with this list, but for now I'm moving on to the CBB forums. I'll see you later...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 1- December 15th)

So there hasn't been that much action on this thread yet, but to be fair, maybe we're all just waiting for the bowls to begin.
And that action starts today with 5 bowls [6 if you count the "Celebration Bowl"], so I'll now present my round of bowl picks for today (All games on ESPN unless noted):

Autonation Cure Bowl: Tulane vs. UL-Lafayette [1:30, CBS Sports Network] (The bowl action will start in Orlando as 2 teams from the "Pelican State" of Louisiana will face off. And my question here is "Why does everyone think that Tulane will win this one in a walkover?". Is it just because Tulane is in the American conference? Maybe they're all worried about the Cajuns's poor defense, or maybe it's because Tulane has won 4 out of their last 5?
Fine by me, but I think that the Cajuns offense [led by Andre Nunez and Trey Ragas] can put up points in this game. And I'm not sure about Tulane's ability to do the same.)
My prediction: UL-Lafayette 28-21

New Mexico Bowl {presented by Progressive}: Utah State vs. North Texas [2:00]
(In terms of stats and QB prestige, this matchup is very even. Yet Utah State is a 72% favorite in this contest... even with their head coach leaving for Texas Tech very shortly. Why is that? Maybe because the Aggies have a more balanced attack than North Texas... or maybe it's because UNT lost to miserable Old Dominion.)
My prediction: Utah State 44-35

Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl: Fresno State vs. Arizona State [3:30, ABC]
(I came into today's post thinking that this game in Vegas would be a close one. But what's this? Fresno State is seeking it's first 12-win season ever? N'Keal Harry will not play for the Sun Devils as he's focusing on the NFL? And the ASU coaching staff wants to play a lot of youngsters in this game?
...This isn't going to end well for Herm Edwards and the PAC-12, is it?)
My prediction: Fresno State 34-20

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl: Georgia Southern vs. Eastern Michigan [5:30] (With all that Southern talent, GSU is gonna steamroll the Eagles- Wait a moment! The Eagles's offense doesn't look all that explosive, and Eastern Michigan's defense is pretty good [4th nationally in red-zone defense]. Not to mention that the more time you have to prepare for an option attack, the better.)
My prediction: Eastern Michigan in an upset, 24-21

R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl: Middle Tennessee vs. Appalachian State [9:00] (In the 18th installment of this bowl game, we have one conference champ [App. State] taking on a could-have-been conference champ [Middle Tennessee]. Now, it's easy to lean towards Brent Stockstill [for MTSU] and his flashy numbers, but App. State has a fine QB of their own in Zac Thomas. And Zac's team has something that Brent's team does not: A proud defense that only gives up 15.7 points a game.)
My prediction: Appalachian State 34-27

...and I'm done! Now I need to see if I'll have to watch those 2 NFL games going on today. I'll check back later.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
December 15th bowl recap (Part 1: The Sun Belt)

Yesterday, some of the Sun Belt's best and brightest shined in bowl games.

First, we had the Cure Bowl where UL-Lafayette made a game of it late against Tulane. Sadly, their defense failed them at key points as the Green Wave took a not-bad Cure Bowl; it was full of tension and odd plays.
Then in New Orleans, App. State made a meal out of the Blue Raiders as they used plays like a double-reverse to win in a rout.
Sadly, it can't all be good news for the Sun Belt as Georgia Southern fails a 40-yard field goal to give me my first upset special of the bowl season...

Georgia Southern vs. Eastern Michigan - Game Summary - December 15, 2018 - ESPN ...
Dammit. I was SO close!

Rating for the Cure Bowl: 2.5 stars
Rating for the New Orleans Bowl: 2 stars
Rating for the Camellia Bowl: 2.5 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
December 15th bowl recap (Part 2: The other games)

It's a shame about Herm Edwards and the Sun Devils. They just didn't know about Fresno State's talents such as Anthoula Kelly and Ronnie Rivers, so ASU loses another close game to end the season.
(At least that game in Vegas was better than the New Mexico Bowl; North Texas didn't stand a chance.)

Rating for the Las Vegas Bowl: 2.5 stars
Rating for the New Mexico Bowl: 1.75 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 2)

Congrats to Brian Kelly for another "AP Coach of the Year" award! ...And if you're expecting a clever segway from that story to the bowls I'll be showing today, well, sorry. There is none. All I have are these bowl picks (All games on ESPN):

Tuesday:
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl: UAB vs. Northern Illinois [7:00]
(Cheribundi and the Boca Raton Bowl has come a long way. Last year, I was confused over the sponsor to this game AND it gave us the biggest bore-fest of the last bowl season. Now I'm familiar with this brand of cherry juice, and this bowl now has a match-up I actually want to see. The stories are great as well; Northern Illinois fought off budget problems and a hellish non-conference slate to win the MAC, and we all know what UAB went through.
As for the game itself, we have 2 offenses that doesn't have fancy numbers [but still takes care of business]. But UAB's defense is ranked 11th overall against some pretty stiff competition, so...)
My prediction: UAB 27-13

Wednesday:
DXL Frisco Bowl: San Diego State vs. Ohio [8:00]
(At first, I had no idea why the people in Vegas were making Ohio the favorite over San Diego State... and then I remembered that the Aztecs has dropped 4 of their last 5 games. Well, just know that it wasn't the fault of the Aztec defense [it ranks 20th overall in the FBS]. But the Aztec secondary IS a bit of a worry.
Another X-factor in this game is the passing offenses; can Ryan Agnew fire up the Aztec offense? And can Nathan Rourke take advantage of that Aztec secondary?)
My prediction: Ohio 24-14

Thursday:
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl: Marshall vs. South Florida [8:00]
(Uh oh... When I made my bowl picks in the "Your Team Sucks" game, I thought that USF's 5-game losing streak would carry on into their bowl... mostly thanks to their crappy defense. Oh sure, USF may be at home, but I don't think Marshall will be fazed. After all, they have Alex Thomson to... Wait. Isaiah Green is now the starting QB for Marshall, and NOT Alex Thomson?!
...Ah, that won't matter if USF's defense fails them again here. But then again, Jordan Cronkrite and Blake Barnett can make some plays for the Bulls offense.)
My prediction: ...Nope. I'm sticking with my pick: Marshall 35-21

I'll check back later... and see if Dwayne Haskins really DOES want to leave for the NFL.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UMHB was chartered by the Republic of Texas in 1845 as Baylor Female College, the female department of what is now Baylor University.
They were wise to get the females away from Baylor. Or at least try.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boca Raton Bowl recap

UAB vs. Northern Illinois - Box Score - December 18, 2018 - ESPN

It's the ol' "bait-and-switch"! Northern Illinois thought that UAB's running game was gonna be their biggest problem in this game. Nope! How about the great jobs done by Xavier Ubosi [227 receiving yards] and Tyler Johnston III [4 passing TD's], eh?

My bowl rating: 2.25 bowls (because it really wasn't too competitive)

And by the way, it's nice to see you guys giving love to Mary Hardin-Baylor on here.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frisco Bowl

Wow. Yesterday some user called @The Foot wanted my help with some of his picks... That was probably the most exciting thing to happen yesterday, as Ohio won a Frisco Bowl that pretty much sucked.

My bowl rating: 1.5 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gasparilla Bowl

Well, Marshall had control of this game for the most part. And Randall St. Felix was the only player that truly shined for USF in a rainy loss for the Bulls.
But I DID get some points in the "Your Team Sucks" game, so...

My bowl rating: 3.5 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 4- December 21st)

So here I am! Ready to brave these 55-degree temperatures to give you bowl picks. First, today's games (which will be on ESPN):

Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl: Florida International vs. Toledo [12:30] (Time for another fun game in the lovely Bahamas. And I DO mean "fun"; both FIU and Toledo can put up some points. And also, both teams are coming in confident: FIU has exceeded preseason expectations with another 8-win season, while Toledo has won 4 of their last 5 games thanks to some new talent emerging.
To me, the X-factor here is Toledo's defense; it has struggled against high-flying teams like Fresno State, Buffalo, and Northern Illinois. So if it manages to slow down James Morgan and the FIU offense, then the Rockets have a shot.)
My prediction: Florida International 41-27 (even though FIU burned me last year)
(P.S: Makers Wanted is some sort of suburb in Chicago... I think)

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl: BYU vs. Western Michigan [4:00] (Of all the bowl games we have in 2018, this might be the one that I'm least interested in [I said "might", 'cause there's still the Arizona Bowl to go]. Western Michigan has fallen off a little bit [especially their defense], while BYU has become a little bit... "blah". They DO have a good defense, though.
However, the Broncos have 2 good playmakers: QB John Wassink and RB LeVante Bellamy. And I just can't see BYU being able to contain both of them.)
My prediction: Western Michigan 24-21

Coming up later will be predictions for tomorrow's bowls, so stick around!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 5- December 22nd)

And now, I do my best to wipe my holiday work slate completely clean as I give you my picks for Saturday's games (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN):

Jared Birmingham Bowl: Memphis vs. Wake Forest [12:00] (Honestly, this game may just be one of the closest bowls we'll have as Memphis and Wake are kinda the same team; neither of their defenses can really stop anyone, but their offenses make up for it.
I think that Wake's new QB Jamie Newman will be the key here; he's done well in beating NC State and crushing Duke 59-7 in Wake's season finale. Plus, why do I have the feeling that Memphis will eventually run out of gas here?)
My prediction: Wake Forest 51-44

Armed Forces Bowl: Houston vs. Army [3:30]
(Houston is a 61% favorite to win this one and deny Army a program-record 11th win, all thanks to D'Eriq King on the Houston offense and Ed Oliver on th- Wait. Ed Oliver's skipping this bowl game, right? And Army DOES have the perfect gameplan to stop King: TICK... TICK... TICK. Dominate the time of possession and keep King off the field. Hey, it worked against Oklahoma.
But Oklahoma didn't have ample time to prep for Army's option attack. Houston has.)
My prediction: Houston 28-24

Dollar General Bowl: Buffalo @ Troy [7:00]
(Two teams that are a combined 19-6 and can move the ball around... it sounds like good TV-watching, doesn't it? In terms of QB play, we know about Tyree Jackson and what he can do for Buffalo, but what about Troy's new head-man Sawyer Smith? He's played in Troy's last 6 games, but hasn't really had a "Wow!" game yet.
But to me, the big X-factor is motivation; both Troy [losing to App. State to lose a Sun Belt title shot] AND Buffalo [losing a double-digit lead to NIU in the MAC title game] lost heartbreakers the last time we've seen them. So which one of them will rebound first?)
My prediction: Buffalo 35-28

Sofi Hawaii Bowl: Hawaii vs. Louisiana Tech [10:30]
(Wait a minute! At first I thought that this would be a Louisiana Tech romp, as I was thinking "It was a fun ride for Hawaii this year, but it's over". But it may not be so; Hawaii is at home, Cole McDonald has thrown for over 3,700 yards, and Hawaii has won their last 2 games. Not to mention that La-Tech is coming into Honolulu losing 3 out of their last 4 games [with their offense not looking good in either of those losses].
This one is all up to La-Tech QB J'Mar Smith: If he can stay in lockstep with Cole McDonald, then maybe the Bulldog run game will do the rest.)
My prediction: Hawaii 39-30

...and I'm done (for now)! I'll check back later to see if anything fun happens in Boise tonight.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12/21 Bowl Recaps

Hey! We got another fun, close "Bahamas Bowl" as FIU sets a school record for wins... even though Toledo made them work for it.
And as for the Potato Bowl, I'm now very mad at the Cougars. All they needed was Zach Wilson to step in at QB, and they're back to being the team that beat Wisconsin 3 months ago?! DAMMIT! If I knew about Zach Wilson beforehand, I wouldn't have pick the Broncos.

Rating for the Bahamas Bowl: 2.75 stars
Rating for the Potato Bowl: 2.25 stars
(Oh well. At least BYU will be a very good team in 2019 with Zach around.)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
December 22nd bowl recap

:rain:
That's what I'm feeling like after yesterday's bowl action, as I went 1-3 in my picks.
The Dollar General Bowl failure wasn't too bad, as it was a exciting contest that could have went Buffalo's way had they made a few more plays. The Hawaii Bowl was worse, as Hawaii's offense didn't bother to show up (and I had forgotten that Skip Holtz was 4-0 in bowl games at La-Tech).

But nothing was worse than that Armed Forces Bowl. I thought the extra time would help Houston's defense stop Army. But 70 points?!? Good... lord...

Memphis vs. Wake Forest - Game Recap - December 22, 2018 - ESPN
My dark side: "Easy, kid. You could have went 0-4 had Memphis not f--ked up their kicker in Birmingham."

Rating for the Birmingham Bowl: 3.5 stars
Rating for the Armed Forces Bowl: 1.75 stars
Rating for the Dollar General Bowl: 3.25 stars
Rating for the Hawaii Bowl: 2.25 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl picks (Part 5- December 26th)

I'm back! Here to tear myself away from my new "ESPN College Basketball Encyclopedia" to give you more bowl picks, as the "Power 5" teams start to climb out of the woodwork's (All games on ESPN):

Servpro First Responder Bowl: Boston College vs. Boise State [1:30] (At first, I thought this game was gonna celebrate those brave "first-responders": The guys that are first to the scene when a medical emergency or a fire breaks out, who are there to save lives. But then I saw that Servpro was sponsoring this. Great. Just another promotion for a business, promoting their workers responding to water problems.
Anyway, in this contest I have faith in Brett Rypian. Yes, Boise didn't win the Mountain West title, but don't blame that on Brett [he has over 3,700 passing yards this season]. And besides, how motivated will the Eagles be? From having "College Gameday" on their campus, to now having a 3-game losing streak. They can't have much left.)
My prediction: Boise State 31-21
(P.S: My dark side is telling me something... What? This game IS celebrating medical "first-responders"?! ...Well, now I feel stupid.)

Quick Lane Bowl: Minnesota vs. Georgia Tech [5:15] (Something's happening now for P.J Fleck at Minnesota. He just took a team who lost 6 conference games [including one to Illinois] into a marquee bowl game [all thanks to Paul Johnson walking away from Georgia Tech after this game] that people will watch. And normally, I'd go with the team who had time to prepare for a option-attack.
But Army hanging 70 points on Houston kinda ruined that idea. Plus, I'll bet Georgia Tech has a few tricks prepared on offense NOT including the option game.)
My prediction: Georgia Tech 24-17

Cheez-It Bowl: California vs. TCU [9:00]
(...Now I'm starting to miss this game being called the "Cactus Bowl". And TCU was CERTAINLY not expecting to be in a "Cheez-It Bowl" this season [they wanted something like the Alamo or the Camping World], but some holes on defense and a struggling offense has put them here at 6-6. Meanwhile, Cal is upbeat about being in their first bowl game in 3 years.
Thing is, Cal isn't that good on offense, either. So if TCU's passing game gets going, are the Bears capable of keeping up? Or is Cal too balanced to let that happen?)
My prediction: TCU 20-17

More picks to come soon...