• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boom! Liam Hendricks is the new White Sox closer

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Sox are about $100 million under the luxury tax, but I'm glad they are thinking ahead.
I know, I cracked up when he was talking about it. He even cracked a joke of sorts over that.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to be on my death bed, reading my last online sports article ever...

...and it is going to be a puff piece about how great Yasmani Grandal is because of some random-ass indirect balogna...I'm sure of it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

...and it is going to be a puff piece about how great Yasmani Grandal is because of some random-ass indirect balogna...I'm sure of it.
That's your penance in life.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We might consider that another intangible benefit of having Grandal around. ;)

You see how this works? :)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like many others, I'm no fan of using the word 'intangibles' when describing any player's value to his team. It almost seems like a copout or a bit of laziness in trying to explain a particular POV. But in Grandal's case, it might just be the correct word. No one is going to deny that his hitting was less than expected for the first year of his contract. He did make amends somewhat in his postseason performance, but all in all, his play was not worthy of the $$$, at least not the first year.

What we don't know however is what he brings to the table when it comes to handling pitchers. In the preceding three seasons, the Sox pitching ranked 13th, 11th, and 9th, respectively, before last year ranking 4th. No doubt we were already trending upward, but jumping 5 spots.....that's a pretty big leap. Is it the pitchers just pitching better or could the way Grandal handles them, calls the pitches, and frames the pitches be a factor as well? What's his influence in the clubhouse overall? I've never read anything but positive comments on that. So this might fall under the otherwise lazy description of intangibles.