• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boom! Liam Hendricks is the new White Sox closer

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The structure of that 4th option year is interesting. The Sox either kick it in at $15m or it's a buyout for the same amount, but stretched over an undisclosed number of years.
In other words - Jerry paid a premium price.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other words - Jerry paid a premium price.
Yes, no doubt. I said in another post that we may have overpaid for his services, but I followed it up with a "I don't give a shit" type of opinion. He's gonna help us chase that flag and this is all that matters.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice move

Meanwhile my twins just stand pat....damnit

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're killing it...and I think Reinsdorf has one more big move in him. People dog him...but I told you he's a shark in the water type when he senses his team is close. The only problem is the Sox/Bulls are too far off too often...and well...in the latter's case, NBA free agency has become a complete clown show.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice move

my_time__triple_h_1999__by_neomic-ddb4qlp.jpg

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good pick up. They are a much better team than they were last year.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice move

Good pick up. They are a much better team than they were last year.
I've been surprised at the lack of activity to date from the Twins, who have always excelled at filling the necessary holes in their roster, and often doing so without breaking the bank. This stinking covid has wreaked havoc in the bigs. It's possible they're just waiting for the market to come to them, but I would have thought by now they'd be busting a move or two. Still a lot of offseason left tho.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been surprised at the lack of activity to date from the Twins, who have always excelled at filling the necessary holes in their roster, and often doing so without breaking the bank. This stinking covid has wreaked havoc in the bigs. It's possible they're just waiting for the market to come to them, but I would have thought by now they'd be busting a move or two. Still a lot of offseason left tho.

They're closing up shop after seeing our roster.

We're at like over 9000 paper champion power right now.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twins are definitely waiting out the market for value buys. Nelson Cruz is waiting to see if the NL is going to use a DH next year before he signs (how far can he go with his career should be a question for the Twins).

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twins are definitely waiting out the market for value buys. Nelson Cruz is waiting to see if the NL is going to use a DH next year before he signs (how far can he go with his career should be a question for the Twins).
I'd also include the Yankees, Jays, Rays, and A's (call me Mr. Poet) as additional playoff contenders hoping to score some talent at more bargain prices.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A somewhat misleading statement from CBS Sports on the Hendriks signing:

The Chicago White Sox have signed free agent reliever Liam Hendriks to a three-year, $54 million deal, according to The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal. CBS Sports HQ Baseball Insider Jim Bowden confirmed the signing. The deal includes a club option for a fourth year, and it's $54 million guaranteed, Rosenthal notes.

At $18 million per year, Hendriks breaks the record average annual value for a relief pitcher, Bowden notes. He surpasses right-hander Wade Davis' three-year, $52 million contract he signed in 2018 with the Colorado Rockies.

It's only $18m per year if the Sox decline the 4th year and buy out the option. If they invoke it, which I suspect will be the case, then the AAV changes to $13.5m per.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A somewhat misleading statement from CBS Sports on the Hendriks signing:

The Chicago White Sox have signed free agent reliever Liam Hendriks to a three-year, $54 million deal, according to The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal. CBS Sports HQ Baseball Insider Jim Bowden confirmed the signing. The deal includes a club option for a fourth year, and it's $54 million guaranteed, Rosenthal notes.

At $18 million per year, Hendriks breaks the record average annual value for a relief pitcher, Bowden notes. He surpasses right-hander Wade Davis' three-year, $52 million contract he signed in 2018 with the Colorado Rockies.

It's only $18m per year if the Sox decline the 4th year and buy out the option. If they invoke it, which I suspect will be the case, then the AAV changes to $13.5m per.
A lot depends on the payout schedule agreed to if the sox decline the 4th year - to get to the real value of the deal. This is better than what I thought would be needed $14 or $15 mil per year. I predicted 4 years $60 million in one of these threads.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot depends on the payout schedule agreed to if the sox decline the 4th year - to get to the real value of the deal. This is better than what I thought would be needed $14 or $15 mil per year. I predicted 4 years $60 million in one of these threads.
Agreed, I didn't want to get into the nitty gritty of that option year, it's that they make it seem like it's a flat $54m for three years, which is not the case.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this writeup on Hendriks and how he'll impact an already strong bullpen:

This is how the White Sox bullpen ranked in 2020, without Hendriks:

ERA -- 3.76, seventh best in MLB
OBP -- .308, seventh best
wOBA -- .295, fifth best
Fastball speed -- 94.2, seventh best

With Hendriks, FanGraphs has them projected as the second-best bullpen in baseball in 2021.

2nd best BP in the bigs this year? Wow, if that turns out true, we should go deep in the playoffs!!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Hendriks liked the Sox more than the Astros when it came down to it. He is friends with Lucas Giolito - he is also into rescuing cats - just like Tony La Russa.

I'm for "Purple Haze" has the Hendriks intro music. @Jiddy what do you think?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Hendriks liked the Sox more than the Astros when it came down to it. He is friends with Lucas Giolito - he is also into rescuing cats - just like Tony La Russa.

I'm for "Purple Haze" has the Hendriks intro music. @Jiddy what do you think?
I think Hendriks was banking on the Sox signing him from the getgo. Apparently, he kept openly singing praises about our ballclub pretty much from the moment he helped eliminate us from the postseason. Obviously the key for him is he got paid, but I also believe he genuinely wanted to play for the Good Guys. Gotta respect that.