• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bobby Ryan

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya.. definitely not trading schenn.. i've said before i think jvr could benefit from a change of scenery.. something just isn't quite clicking for him.. after saying i wouldn't trade a 1st or top prospect for anything but a top 2 dman.. if jvr and a 1st is 'all' it would take, i gotta say i'd consider it.. its basically giving up a first round pick for jvr to develop in to what we hope he develops in to.... gotta say a ryan.giroux.jagr line has 'unstoppable' written all over it..

fwiw, i think schenn a 1st and a 3rd is 3 or 4 'thats not enough's after jvr and a 1st

i stand by this trade making 0 sense though.. flyers need a dman, i dont understand why this is what they're working on haha

so lets get serious..

jvr, pronger, carle, and a first for ryan, fowler, and sbisa. :hockeysmile:

Last edited by a moderator:

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHy does everyone want to send JVR packing? he's 21 and was on pace to put up 65 points this season before the injury and we've all seen how dominant he can be once he really gets going. Oh yea his cap hit is also lower then Ryan's. If anything you go get Ryan to play with JVR and Giroux for the next 3 seasons(if Jagr won't re-sign or isn't helathy enough).

I'd be pissed to give up JVR and even more pissed if a 1st was throw in, unless it was for a top 10 d-man in the league who's locked up long term for a decent hit(or Eric Karlson). We have an abundance of guys to build around now that more franchises only dream of... Giroux, JVR, Schenn, Coturier & Read(all should be untouchable unless another team has a stud young dman) all bring a dimension to this team that our your guys haven't since Gagne was here, they're all complete players.

The Ducks would more then likely want more then Hartnell, Vorachek and a 1st(which I think we've all been robbed of too many of these he past few years). The only other option is to look at a 3 way trade. These get very tricky and can be a nightmare if you're they team who ultimately wants the "big name". For instance let's say we were to try to work out a deal with Toronto to get the nessecary pieces to trade for Ryan. Tor has a whole crop of promising young d-men, but like Ana they want a top tier C or your top prospect/1st rounders.

In my mind as much as I would love to have Ryan now we need another d-man and that should be our only priority right now. There are too many teams who can put together more attractive packages due to them being smaller market or having multiple low finishes in the standings. If I were Homer I'd be call Tor about Franson and would probably go sign McCabe also to shore up there holes then aive Lilja when he's healthy and demote Marhsall, Bourdon(even though he;s bee solid) & Gustaffson. We could fit it under the cap with Pronger back and we'd be better off on defense. Just my $0.02 though.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think anyone is "giving up on" jvr.. trading him for a guy like bobby ryan is just making your team better this year, probably next year, and we'll see from then on.. i think people are frustrated because he hasn't made a big impact (which is what 2nd overall picks are supposed to do).. he's shown what, maybe 15 games so far in his career that he can be a dominating force.. 15/153 just isn't enough for me to label him untouchable..

4.5 years after jvr got drafted he has 88 points in 185 games for a .47 pts/game output (playoffs included)

4.5 years after bobby ryan got drafted he had 63 points in 77 games played for a .81 pts/game output(playoffs included)

the closest i can get without being ridiculous in looking stuff up.. in ryan's first 158 games he had 128 points

ryan's got 3+ years in the NHL, and 3 years with 30+ goals.. jvr has 2+ years in the NHL and has 46 goals TOTAL.

you could bring up the age argument, but bobby ryan is 26 months older than JvR.. not a big deal in the grand scheme of building your core

contracts.. bobby ryan signed at 5.1 through 2014-15.. jvr signed at 4.25 through 2018 with this year being 1.6.. i give that one a wash i think.. in comparison, if jvr stays on this course, ryan would be a steal next season, they'd probably be comparable in value the year after (2014-2015) and then ryan would need a new contract so who knows.. i personally dont like locking players up for long durations of time.. you just never know.. and if jvr doesn't continue to improve, you're in trouble at 4.25.. ryan has been the model of consistency over the last 3 years, you can pretty much bank on 30 goals for the duration of his contract.. brings up the obvious problem that jvr and a 1st for ryan wont work salary wise once pronger/lilja/gust come off LTIR.. the ducks want a d-man, carle is coming up on free agency, do they throw him in instead of the 1st? jvr and carle for ryan? would certainly be an interesting idea.. the flyers would be in DEEP shit for the next month or so on defense and then again when pronger gets a virus that requires elbow surgery in february.. but you keep that pick you need to get what you hope will be a future top pair guy in the draft

but in the end, bobby ryan is what we hope JvR will be.

that being said, i agree 100% that its a move the flyers dont need to make.. they should be looking at how to fix the defense while pronger/lilja are out, and while they're at it, they should plan for a future that gets 50% of the games played from pronger and a declining timonen.. but just throwing a 'JvR should be untouchable' tag at it doesn't quite explain it to me.. jvr and a 1st i would seriously consider, but i worry about the defense.. giving up another 1st round pick scares me.. they need some young blood on defense that can take over for pronger/timonen in the next.. well actually, now would be a good time.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
but in the end, bobby ryan is what we hope JvR will be.

The argument I keep making is we are developing JvR into a Bobby Ryan type player. A power forward with speed..

Given the chance, why not trade a project for the finished thing? JvR will get better. But will he ever be better than Ryan? I have my doubts.

The 1st round pick does scare me.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan may stay put now due to Anaheim has a new coach as of a few minutes ago. Boudreaux didn't last long on the market.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a tough call but maybe they'd throw a guy like beauchemin back so JVR/Carle may work. Really have to think about that though as I like JVR's potential and cap hit but ryan would be sweeeeeet. Both teams may be thinking a change of scenery is not a bad thing.