• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blake Barnett Transferring from Alabama

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I don't understand what your point is supposed to be.

The point is Saban didn't leave Miami before the end of the season because he didn't have to. He didn't have to sit out before being the HC at Alabama.

Players on the other hand, DO have eligibility requirements.

So comparing the two situations is like comparing apples to oranges. I get that you're hung up on the WHEN and not the WHY. But the fact is ... if Blake wanted to play QB next year he had to leave now or sit on the bench for 2 years.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is Saban didn't leave Miami before the end of the season because he didn't have to. He didn't have to sit out before being the HC at Alabama.

Players on the other hand, DO have eligibility requirements.

So comparing the two situations is like comparing apples to oranges.

So Saban only stayed with Miami because he could is what you are claiming? If had to sit out a year before going to Alabama, he would have left Miami in the middle of the year, or stayed with Miami?

It seems to me like you are creating strawman arguments to tear down.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnett made a decision that he felt was in his best interest. The clock is ticking on his opportunity to play football and he made a decision that he feels will hopefully maximize the amount of time he can actually play while he still has it.

Saban, and coaches in general, should want what is best for his players. Saban makes $7 million a year and is at a podium bashing a 19 year old kid who just wants to play football. All Saban had to say was "While I don't agree with his decision, he made a decision that he felt was in bes interest and I wish him all the best in the future". Done.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Saban only stayed with Miami because he could is what you are claiming? If had to sit out a year before going to Alabama, he would have left Miami in the middle of the year, or stayed with Miami?

It seems to me like you are creating strawman arguments to tear down.

I'm saying that your comments about "Saban didn't leave Miami until the end of the season" is bullshit because it never mattered when Saban left. It MATTERS for Blake.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we aren't talking about being a student. We're talking about playing QB. So if he wants to have a chance at being a starting QB next year he had no choice but to leave now. Otherwise he has to wait a full year. If this is indeed his plan, he would be required by NCAA rules to notify Bama's athletic department.
He could always graduate . . .

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was fulfilled, that's what buyouts are for.

He had 3 years left on his contract. A buyout is not fulfilling your contract.

I'm with Saban on criticizing the kid for what seems like ducking competition. But come on, it is hypocritical for Saban to call him out when he did the same thing, albeit after the season.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying that your comments about "Saban didn't leave Miami until the end of the season" is bullshit because it never MATTERED when Saban left. It MATTERS for Blake.

We'll see if it matters.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnett made a decision that he felt was in his best interest. The clock is ticking on his opportunity to play football and he made a decision that he feels will hopefully maximize the amount of time he can actually play while he still has it.

Saban, and coaches in general, should want what is best for his players. Saban makes $7 million a year and is at a podium bashing a 19 year old kid who just wants to play football. All Saban had to say was "While I don't agree with his decision, he made a decision that he felt was in bes interest and I wish him all the best in the future". Done.

I'm sure Saban still wants what is best for him. He said as much yesterday.

Why can't he address what happens with his honest opinion about it? I've always been the type that find that stuff refreshing. Hell I tune Saban out 90% of the time because I know he is basically just going to be giving coach speech, which I generally find useless.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had 3 years left on his contract. A buyout is not fulfilling your contract.

I'm with Saban on criticizing the kid for what seems like ducking competition. But come on, it is hypocritical for Saban to call him out when he did the same thing, albeit after the season.

That's what a buyout is specifically for.

:noidea:

Although Saban has no buyout at Alabama, he can leave whenever he wants.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see if it matters.

Indeed. We don't know if this move was smart or not. For all we know he never starts a game for anyone. Or maybe he goes on to be an exceptional QB for another team. Only time will tell.

Personally I see this move beneficial for both parties. Obviously Blake wasn't going to be happy sitting on the bench. And no one wants players on their team who aren't committed to being there. Yes he was the backup QB, but if he's unhappy ... what production are you truly getting from him in practice?

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Saban still wants what is best for him. He said as much yesterday.

Why can't he address what happens with his honest opinion about it? I've always been the type that find that stuff refreshing. Hell I tune Saban out 90% of the time because I know he is basically just going to be giving coach speech, which I generally find useless.

Because he's a 19 year old kid. Take the high road. Especially when he himself has left jobs to take other ones, regardless of the circumstances.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed. We don't know if this move was smart or not. For all we know he never starts a game for anyone. Or maybe he goes on to be an exceptional QB for another team. Only time will tell.

Personally I see this move beneficial for both parties. Obviously Blake wasn't going to be happy sitting on the bench. And no one wants players on their team who aren't committed to being there.

He's very talented, he can be a good starter for another team, no doubt about it. I think most everyone fully expected him to transfer, just not mid season.

And I think that he wasn't committed to the team is the reason he didn't win the starting job to begin with. Other players pick up on that stuff and it's why he was never able to "win the team".

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he's a 19 year old kid. Take the high road. Especially when he himself has left jobs to take other ones, regardless of the circumstances.

Again, nobody blames him for transferring exactly. But doing it in the middle of the year is quitting on your teammates etc.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think that he wasn't committed to the team is the reason he didn't win the starting job to begin with. Other players pick up on that stuff and it's why he was never able to "win the team".

If true, he better change his attitude quickly or else he'll become Gunner Kiel Part 2.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what a buyout is specifically for.

Although Saban has no buyout at Alabama, he can leave whenever he wants.

Using a buyout doesn't mean you fulfilled a contract by using it. It means you used a cop out. But to each his own.

An a again, I agree with Saban on the pride of competition.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a kid more interested in lowering the bar than raising his performance. I also see a kid who quit on his teammates.

Both are pretty chicken-shit, if you ask me.
Or maybe he knows how good he is, honest with himself and knows he will not win the starting job there.

How is he quitting on his teammates? He is not playing. They are not relying on him for wins. They are only relying on him to carry a clip board. Would it make a difference if he did it at the end of the season?

I dont see a problem. I think he is smart for doing it now.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using a buyout doesn't mean you fulfilled a contract by using it. It means you used a cop out. But to each his own.

An a again, I agree with Saban on the pride of competition.

The buyout is 100% how you legally fulfill such a contract.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe he knows how good he is, honest with himself and knows he will not win the starting job there.

How is he quitting on his teammates? He is not playing. They are not relying on him for wins. They are only relying on him to carry a clip board. Would it make a difference if he did it at the end of the season?

I dont see a problem. I think he is smart for doing it now.

Insiders have said his parents have been trying to force Saban into starting him since the summer. Threatening to transfer if he wasn't named the starter.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's more than a little adversity. It's four years in college on the bench. Working his butt off during four years on the east coast hours, by plane, away from his family doesn't get him anything except possibly a couple fourth quarter handoffs and a reason to get excited if Hurts gets injured. Nothing else. Very few people are going to choose that route because it's simply not how you would want to spend your college years. You can compete for a starting job elsewhere, you can compete against other teams elsewhere. There's other avenues that help him better prepare for the future than on the sidelines at Alabama.

But see that's such a cop out. What if instead of transferring he used his frustration to make himself better and beat out Jalen Hurts. I agree not many people will choose that route but that doesn't make it right. There sure are other avenues to prepare him better, but there are also ones that won't. What's do say he does transfer closer for home but still sits the pine. Should he transfer somewhere else? At some point this kid and others have to nut up and work to make themselves better.