• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blake Barnett Transferring from Alabama

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe he knows how good he is, honest with himself and knows he will not win the starting job there.
So his answer is to lower the bar for himself. This kind of mentality is what grows out of a sense of entitlement. I mean - if he want to go this route, that's his choice. But he will never impress people with that kind of an attitude.

How is he quitting on his teammates? He is not playing. They are not relying on him for wins. They are only relying on him to carry a clip board. Would it make a difference if he did it at the end of the season?
Sure. And no one on the scout team contributes either because they don't play on Saturdays. Anyone who watches college football knows that only the starters make any contributions of value.

I dont see a problem. I think he is smart for doing it now.
Color me shocked.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The buyout is 100% how you legally fulfill such a contract.

:noidea:

No, that's the way to get out of a contract. The only way to fulfill a contract is to last for the duration of the contract

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So his answer is to lower the bar for himself. This kind of mentality is what grows out of a sense of entitlement. I mean - if he want to go this route, that's his choice. But he will never impress people with that kind of an attitude.

Sure. And no one on the scout team contributes either because they don't play on Saturdays. Anyone who watches college football knows that only the starters make any contributions of value.

Color me shocked.
Have you ever played football? Are you still trying for that NFL career or have you "lowered the bar for yourself" and quit?

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insiders have said his parents have been trying to force Saban into starting him since the summer. Threatening to transfer if he wasn't named the starter.
May or may not be true. What we do know is he did not get the starting job and he is now trying to take his talents elsewhere.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But see that's such a cop out. What if instead of transferring he used his frustration to make himself better and beat out Jalen Hurts. I agree not many people will choose that route but that doesn't make it right. There sure are other avenues to prepare him better, but there are also ones that won't. What's do say he does transfer closer for home but still sits the pine. Should he transfer somewhere else? At some point this kid and others have to nut up and work to make themselves better.

There's no reason to assume he can work harder than he worked this year. There's also no reason to assume he won't be working as hard as he can at another school. He can work hard to beat out Jalen Hurts or he can work hard to win/keep his job at a new school. He should go to school somewhere he wants to spend his time. He has four years of eligibility, let him use them how he wants.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah - when in doubt, make it about the other guy.

Well done.
Im just trying find out if those high standards apply you and everyone else or just everyone else. It sounds like its just everyone else.

Color me shocked.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just trying find out if those high standards apply you and everyone else or just everyone else. It sounds like its just everyone else.
I keep saying over and over that lowering ones standards show low character compared to raising ones game. And it sounds to you like I don't believe that. Brills, dude. Brills.

Color me shocked.
:shocked: <-- consider yourself colored.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep saying over and over that lowering ones standards show low character compared to raising ones game. And it sounds to you like I don't believe that. Brills, dude. Brills.

:shocked: <-- consider yourself colored.
So you have always raised your game? You are in tops in your field of choice?

The most colored white boy you will ever see.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Color me shocked.

Those scout team guys chose their school knowing full well they were going to be at least beginning their career without playing time. They contribute to the team, but they know their role going in. They know when they have to work for playing time and they do. They didn't choose their school because they got playing time, they chose it because it was the best fit for them out of their options. The people who, like Barnett, didn't want to work hard just to contribute in practice ended up at smaller schools or not playing football at all.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that's the way to get out of a contract. The only way to fulfill a contract is to last for the duration of the contract

That's just not the case. Either from coaches changing jobs to being fired. It's the entire reason they put in the buyouts, it's a bit of a "well if things don't work out exactly, there is this". The buyout gives the school extra money for finding it's next coach if the coach quits, or the coach takes the job knowing he'll get his buyout even if things don't work out.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May or may not be true. What we do know is he did not get the starting job and he is now trying to take his talents elsewhere.

Based on the way this is all turned out, I believe it's probably true.

I don't think his selfish attitude about this whole situation just started this week. And I do believe that Saban's statement about "his dad would kick him out" was speaking more to the parents of Barnett, rather than Barnett. Basically saying his parents would have encouraged him to stay, while Barnett's parents seem to be the opposite of that, basically encouraging the selfish attitude.

This is of course speculation, but that's just what's making sense to me in all this right now.

A week ago I would have laughed at anyone suggesting a player would transfer out mid-season.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the way this is all turned out, I believe it's probably true.

I don't think his selfish attitude about this whole situation just started this week. And I do believe that Saban's statement about "his dad would kick him out" was speaking more to the parents of Barnett, rather than Barnett. Basically saying his parents would have encouraged him to stay, while Barnett's parents seem to be the opposite of that, basically encouraging the selfish attitude.

This is of course speculation, but that's just what's making sense to me in all this right now.

A week ago I would have laughed at anyone suggesting a player would transfer out mid-season.
Even if all that is true if you are going to transfer isn't it better to do it sooner than later? That is if you know you have no chance in starting.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if all that is true if you are going to transfer isn't it better to do it sooner than later? That is if you know you have no chance in starting.

Well, I think if he had no chance in ever starting nobody would really care that he is leaving mid-season. He just isn't guaranteed to start any games. Hopefully, Hurts never gets hurt and we never need a backup QB. But he is a dual threat guy who has rushed for over 100 yards in games, so the risk is higher than normal.

Take a look at Ohio St just 2 years ago. 3rd string QB out there playing for the national championship and winning it.

On top of that, the starter is a true freshman who could start to struggle as teams adjust to what he does. Barnett could have been called upon at some point in the season and could have won the team with a good performance.

So I would love it and hope it turns out that he never had any chance of starting this year, but he was 1 snap away from playing for a national championship contending team.

Meanwhile, in his best case scenario he is able to play next year - but not in the 1st 4 games of the season. He's basically no matter what going to miss 1/3rd of the season next year. So in order for him to start next year, he'll need to find a team where they are ok with him missing all those games and then he'll have to come in after that. Good luck finding that on a quality team really.

Maybe I'll turn out to be wrong, but I don't really see a scenario where his choice was really in his best interest overall. A chance at playing for a national championship contending team this year at some point, and trading that in for a team that might let him be the starter after he misses the 1st 3rd of the season?

So what has he gained at most? 8 games next year with a team that probably isn't going to be doing too well and has QB problems so bad that they are willing to wait 4 games to get him.

Like I said, a week ago I would have laughed at someone suggesting any player would transfer mid-season. I probably would have hurt myself laughing too hard if someone told me a 2nd string QB from a championship contending team would be the one to do it. And yet...here we are.

Mike30142

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find the article I read, but it stated there was a possible loophole, where if he transferred to a JUCO team this year, and completed enough academic credits, he may not have to sit out the first four games next year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find the article I read, but it stated there was a possible loophole, where if he transferred to a JUCO team this year, and completed enough academic credits, he may not have to sit out the first four games next year.

I'm guessing this must have something to do with graduating? A 2 year degree?

He was an early enrollee I think, so he's had about a year and a half of college so far.

I wonder when he would actually be able to transfer. QB needs time to learn a system etc.