• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blake Barnett Transferring from Alabama

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a comment like this ...

"My dad used to say the grass is always greener on the top of the septic tank."
A comment like that is a flat-out rip off of a book title written by Erma Bombeck:
images

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of what happened to anything, it is still the coach's job to assess whether or not a prospect has the psychological make up to succeed and contribute to the program. The failure to foresee this as a possibility has to fall on Saban's shoulders.

I get that it is difficult, and that you can't predict or prevent each and every thing. But just because the task is hard, doesn't mean it isn't his job. So blaming the kid for not being what Saban wants him to be, to me, seems the absolute height absurdity. After all, it isn't like Saban lacked any opportunities to assess exactly what makes this kid tick.

Damn non-physic coaches. They should all be fired.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um . .

You do know that they are going to classes during that year they sit out, don't you? (Hint: that's the point . . to give them the opportunity to get used to the new school.)

If you really want to fix the problem, preclude them for playing for a year regardless of the level of athletics at which their new school competes.

that's the BS PC reason they do it to prevent more transfers. And a supposed "free agency" to CFB.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you trying to say that Saban leaving at the end of the season is the same thing?

You mad or what?

Yes, he quit on the Dolphins. He was in search of a college job before the end of the season with the Dolphins. He waited until the end of the year to officially announce. But, no in no way did he finish what he started with the Dolphins. He quit. He moved on. He moved on with three years left on his contract.

It was the right move for Saban to move on, but to act like what he did was different than Barnett is crazy. They both decided that it was best for them to move on, so they did.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking a better job after the season is over is what any normal person would do. According to your logic, Saban should still be washing cars for his dad.

Yes, because Saban and his agent waited until the end of the season to start talks with Alabama. Come'on now ...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he quit on the Dolphins. He was in search of a college job before the end of the season with the Dolphins. He waited until the end of the year to officially announce. But, no in no way did he finish what he started with the Dolphins. He quit. He moved on. He moved on with three years left on his contract.

It was the right move for Saban to move on, but to act like what he did was different than Barnett is crazy. They both decided that it was best for them to move on, so they did.

Ummm, Saban has an agent that deals with all that stuff. If you think he is out there looking for coaching jobs and such, you really don't understand how things work.

I doubt Saban ever spoke a word with Texas a few years ago. But his agent was on the phone often(as it's the agents job).

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree. But it can't fall solely on Sabans shoulders. The kid lost out on a starting spot and is now transferring. It certainly seems like he is afraid of a little adversity. But to each their own.
I don't disagree with you. The kid certainly shows (in my opinion - which is flawed because I don't know all of the facts, but based on what little I can see) low character. One thing you don't do is quit on your teammates. When you sign up to play, you make a commitment. It shouldn't be a commitment of convenience. So i get it - the kid is lame.

But my point is that the kid isn't substantially different (unless there is some traumatic event we don't know about that changed everything - in which case, all bets are off) than he was when Saban recruited him. So failing to uncover this character flaw is on the coach. That doesn't excuse the kid to be sure - but Saban shouldn't be glossing over the reality that it was he, as a recruiter, that brought this kid into the program.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not hypocritical at all. You're trying to compare the coaching profession with college athletics. No doubt that was his dad's mindset way back in the day. Yes, or no. Did Saban make the right choice for him and his family when he chose to leave Miami for Alabama?

It was in Saban's best interest to take the Alabama job ... absolutely.
I also happen to think it was in Blake's best interest to transfer if he wants to be a starting QB ... since the guy who beat him out is an underclassmen. Now Blake will have a shot at being a starting QB this time next year. As opposed to waiting a full year.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm, Saban has an agent that deals with all that stuff. If you think he is out there looking for coaching jobs and such, you really don't understand how things work.

I doubt Saban ever spoke a word with Texas a few years ago. But his agent was on the phone often(as it's the agents job).

Sooooo .... Saban's agent was acting on Saban's behalf without Saban knowing it? Riiiight ....

Fact is, Saban was in talks with Bama before the end of the NFL season and he knew he had the job before the end of the NFL season. All while telling Miami he wasn't going anywhere.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooooo .... Saban's agent was acting on Saban's behalf without Saban knowing it? Riiiight ....

Beats me.

What did you expect Saban to do? Leave Miami in the middle of the season?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree. But it can't fall solely on Sabans shoulders. The kid lost out on a starting spot and is now transferring. It certainly seems like he is afraid of a little adversity. But to each their own.

It's more than a little adversity. It's four years in college on the bench. Working his butt off during four years on the east coast hours, by plane, away from his family doesn't get him anything except possibly a couple fourth quarter handoffs and a reason to get excited if Hurts gets injured. Nothing else. Very few people are going to choose that route because it's simply not how you would want to spend your college years. You can compete for a starting job elsewhere, you can compete against other teams elsewhere. There's other avenues that help him better prepare for the future than on the sidelines at Alabama.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn non-physic coaches. They should all be fired.
I didn't say (or even insinuate) that he should be fired. What I am saying is that he should take some responsibility for his failure to assess the kid's character.

And in terms of coaches being expected to be physic - how would you feel if your coach was completely unable to predict and prepare for the opponents' offensive scheme? How about if a coach puts a kid out to play who is unable to handle the game pressure and keeps screwing up?

Damned non-physic coaches...

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beats me.

What did you expect Saban to do? Leave Miami in the middle of the season?

Saban didn't have to deal with eligibility rules now did he?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

a) He still had three years left on his contract to finish what he started at Miami
b) They said on the radio this morning that Mal Moore's son, or nephew built his house when he was in Miami, and that Saban became friends with him and made sure to mention that he was looking to get back into college at a traditional program.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the eligibility rules were the same for coaches as they are for players ... you can bet your ASS coaches would leave before the end of a season to take another job.

PERIOD

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would have to tell someone about his decision. You can't just leave campus and move into another university ... that's not how it works.
Not so sure...unless things have changed since I was in school in the dark ages. I was on golf scholarship many moons ago. Had a teammate in the dorm room next to ours that did exactly what you are saying. Packed his shit, said he was transferring and drove off. Only ones that knew it until the next day were his roommate, my roommate and me. Enrolled at a school about two hours away (right next to his home town) the very next day.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the eligibility rules were the same for coaches as they are for players ... you can bet your ASS coaches would leave before the end of a season to take another job.

PERIOD
Miles is leaving before the end of the season! Don't know about the "take another job" part.

j/k

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure...unless things have changed since I was in school in the dark ages. I was on golf scholarship many moons ago. Had a teammate in the dorm room next to ours that did exactly what you are saying. Packed his shit, said he was transferring and drove off. Only ones that knew it until the next day were his roommate, my roommate and me. Enrolled at a school about two hours away (right next to his home town) the very next day.

Did he play right away? Because he wouldn't be able to these days ....

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since some of you can't seem to figure it out - nobody would have cared if he transferred at the end of the year. In fact, I think most if not all Alabama fans pretty much expected him to transfer at the end of the year. He's extremely talented and he will no doubt be a starter for another program.

It's the leaving in the middle of the season shit that people are talking about.
The is leaving now so he does not have to sit out next season. If he waited he would have to sit next year. It sounds like this kid is smart. People are attacking him but what benefit does he get by sitting for a year doing nothing?

As far as Saban leaving Miami, he was never under some rules that made him sit for a year if he left before the end of his contract.