• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blake Barnett Transferring from Alabama

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy on the greatest defense ever there home pie.

OSU 77 Bowling Green 10
Memphis 77 Bowling Green 3

Memphis D > OSU D

Bama 48 Ole Miss 43
Wofford 13 Ole Miss 38

The mighty Wofford Terriers D > Bama D

Dam looks like it was already posted but worth a second look.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty easy to see why. Now he can start next year.

You wanna fix this problem? Fix the rule and treat the supposed STUDENT-athlete just like any other student when they transfer.

A chemistry major doens't have to sit out a year of chem classes when they transfer.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit hypocritical but Saban is by large right. What happened to pride in competition??

College Football has changed. Freshman QBs didn't beat out upper classman back in the day ... they do now.

Some kids don't want to sit the bench their entire career ... I think that's reasonable.
QB is the one position where the odds of getting on the field once you're beat out is slim. Even RBs rotate in and out of the game ... meaning you don't have to be the starter to get playing time and perhaps impress during meaningful game play.

Last edited:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some kids don't want to sit the bench their entire career ... I think that's reasonable.
True. I think the bigger issue is how/when it was done more than the fact he is transferring and doesn't want to sit his entire career.

This sounds like he didn't have the cajones to go in and tell his coaches/some players he was transferring. He just bailed. I may not have all the facts straight. If he did go in and tell his coaches and at least his fellow QBs, then I'll give him a pass. Not what it sounds like though.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. I think the bigger issue is how/when it was done more than the fact he is transferring and doesn't want to sit his entire career.

This sounds like he didn't have the cajones to go in and tell his coaches/some players he was transferring. He just bailed. I may not have all the facts straight. If he did go in and tell his coaches and at least his fellow QBs, then I'll give him a pass. Not what it sounds like though.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like he did inform someone he was considering transferring but didn't when he made his decision. Is that correct? If so, then that is 50% okay by me.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty easy to see why. Now he can start next year.

You wanna fix this problem? Fix the rule and treat the supposed STUDENT-athlete just like any other student when they transfer.

A chemistry major doens't have to sit out a year of chem classes when they transfer.
Um . .

You do know that they are going to classes during that year they sit out, don't you? (Hint: that's the point . . to give them the opportunity to get used to the new school.)

If you really want to fix the problem, preclude them for playing for a year regardless of the level of athletics at which their new school competes.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like he did inform someone he was considering transferring but didn't when he made his decision. Is that correct? If so, then that is 50% okay by me.

He would have to tell someone about his decision. You can't just leave campus and move into another university ... that's not how it works.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's a good thing Saban wasn't living at home in 2006.

Are you trying to say that Saban leaving at the end of the season is the same thing?

You mad or what?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what was Nick Saban in 2007 when he left the Dolphins? A Baby Boomer?

Again, how is leaving at the end of the season the same thing?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since some of you can't seem to figure it out - nobody would have cared if he transferred at the end of the year. In fact, I think most if not all Alabama fans pretty much expected him to transfer at the end of the year. He's extremely talented and he will no doubt be a starter for another program.

It's the leaving in the middle of the season shit that people are talking about.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, how is leaving at the end of the season the same thing?

I think people are talking about how Saban lied about taking the job. He straight up said he had no interest and the next day announced he was leaving.

So a comment like this ...

"My dad used to say the grass is always greener on the top of the septic tank. It always looks better someplace else," Saban said. "So you think, instead of facing your fear and overcoming adversity and making yourself better through competition, you go someplace else thinking it'll be better there. Until you face your fear, you're always going to have some of those issues and problems."

Seems a bit hypocritical.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are talking about how Saban lied about taking the job. He straight up said he had no interest and the next day announced he was leaving.

"My dad used to say the grass is always greener on the top of the septic tank. It always looks better someplace else," Saban said. "So you think, instead of facing your fear and overcoming adversity and making yourself better through competition, you go someplace else thinking it'll be better there. Until you face your fear, you're always going to have some of those issues and problems."

People who get upset about the Miami thing are idiots who just look for reasons to be upset/mad.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit hypocritical but Saban is by large right. What happened to pride in competition??

Saban laments early transfers after Barnett exits
Regardless of what happened to anything, it is still the coach's job to assess whether or not a prospect has the psychological make up to succeed and contribute to the program. The failure to foresee this as a possibility has to fall on Saban's shoulders.

I get that it is difficult, and that you can't predict or prevent each and every thing. But just because the task is hard, doesn't mean it isn't his job. So blaming the kid for not being what Saban wants him to be, to me, seems the absolute height absurdity. After all, it isn't like Saban lacked any opportunities to assess exactly what makes this kid tick.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would have to tell someone about his decision. You can't just leave campus and move into another university ... that's not how it works.
You might be surprised at just how often people just up and leave college without letting anyone know.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of what happened to anything, it is still the coach's job to assess whether or not a prospect has the psychological make up to succeed and contribute to the program. The failure to foresee this as a possibility has to fall on Saban's shoulders.

I get that it is difficult, and that you can't predict or prevent each and every thing. But just because the task is hard, doesn't mean it isn't his job. So blaming the kid for not being what Saban wants him to be, to me, seems the absolute height absurdity. After all, it isn't like Saban lacked any opportunities to assess exactly what makes this kid tick.

I don't disagree. But it can't fall solely on Sabans shoulders. The kid lost out on a starting spot and is now transferring. It certainly seems like he is afraid of a little adversity. But to each their own.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People who get upset about the Miami thing are idiots who just look for reasons to be upset/mad.

Not really. It's a legitimate point. Saban has looked for "greener pastures" his entire career ... as does just about every coach. So it's indeed hypocritical to comment about others doing the same and try to spin it as a negative.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. It's a legitimate point. Saban has looked for "greener pastures" his entire career ... as does just about every coach. So it's indeed hypocritical to comment about others doing the same.

Taking a better job after the season is over is what any normal person would do. According to your logic, Saban should still be washing cars for his dad.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not hypocritical at all. You're trying to compare the coaching profession with college athletics. No doubt that was his dad's mindset way back in the day. Yes, or no. Did Saban make the right choice for him and his family when he chose to leave Miami for Alabama?