• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks 2016-17 Season Thread

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then there's this possibility. Although this particular source isn't reliable, the concept still has potential.

"Just talked to a source regarding the potential goalies available this offseason and he insists that Corey Crawford could be available via trade or possibly in the expansion draft. This could change the entire Landscape for the goalie market which could already be crowded with Mark Andre Fleury, Steve Mason and Ben Bishop available."

I read an article that the Washington backup has basically been chosen already. He was drafted by the now GM of the Golden Knights. If Darling gets a deal before the draft or before this season ends is when I will buy the crow leaving.

I was really surprised that Panarin is exempt. I thought he was definitely in need of protecting.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Darling gets a deal before the draft or before this season ends is when I will buy the crow leaving.

It seems to me that Chicago would be better off having an agreement in principle with Darling rather than re-sign him now. Since they have to protect Crawford unless he waives his NMC, if they sign Darling now he'd be exposed in the expansion draft with a contract already in place. If they hold off on signing him he'll be exposed but as a UFA, making it unlikely Vegas selects him.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me that Chicago would be better off having an agreement in principle with Darling rather than re-sign him now. Since they have to protect Crawford unless he waives his NMC, if they sign Darling now he'd be exposed in the expansion draft with a contract already in place. If they hold off on signing him he'll be exposed but as a UFA, making it unlikely Vegas selects him.
I was just referring to your comment that Crow would be available either by trade or the expansion draft. If he is available somehow, they need to protect Darling. I like Scott Darling, but am really not sure he is ready to slide into a 6 million dollar deal that starters are getting.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just referring to your comment that Crow would be available either by trade or the expansion draft. If he is available somehow, they need to protect Darling. I like Scott Darling, but am really not sure he is ready to slide into a 6 million dollar deal that starters are getting.

True.

I see him getting a deal more in the $4-4.5 mil. range for perhaps 2 years. If he proves himself he can cash in after that bridge contract.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bicks is retiring, people are asking the Hawks bring him back to retire a black hawk. Do they do that stuff in hockey? I hope he finds his way to the ice in a playoff pregame, but big credit to Carolina for doing all they did for a guy they hardly knew.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is just terrible, completely shut out for 6 periods, two posts to show for it. soft passes, slow D, getting the shit beat out of them, cant win faceoffs, we need to hope that Nashvilles coach out thinks himself with matchups.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks did fine until Smashville woke up last night and the guys that respond in Tootoo and Hartman were riding the bench.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks did fine until Smashville woke up last night and the guys that respond in Tootoo and Hartman were riding the bench.

Yep, once Nashville got physical the Hawks folded.

The Hawks overachieved during the regular season. I sure didn't pick them to finish first in the conference. But, the the number of rookies on the team clearly caught up with them the last 5 or 6 games of the regular season and especially into the playoffs. I'd like to see them pull out at least one win though, rather than roll over and die again in game 4.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, some of it was out of line, the cross checks in the back on the boards, the face washing Toews got when he was by the net, leg whips. I know I always want the youths to play, and next year should have 2 or 3 more and hopefully Kempny and Forsling on the back end, and Fortin on a wing, so maybe they will be OK. I was just asking they develop one or two a year, instead of this development of 4 or 6 at once. It hurts watching Keith backtracking and Oduya and Campbell looking as slow as Rosival.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, once Nashville got physical the Hawks folded.

The Hawks overachieved during the regular season. I sure didn't pick them to finish first in the conference. But, the the number of rookies on the team clearly caught up with them the last 5 or 6 games of the regular season and especially into the playoffs. I'd like to see them pull out at least one win though, rather than roll over and die again in game 4.

Do you really think its the rookies that have been costing us though?

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:2cents:

I don't believe that the physical play of the Preds is the issue.
The Hawks have been in physical series before. (Like just about all of them.)
Who can forget the Canucklehead Raffi Torres gooning it up every series. Pushing and shoving after every whistle.
The Kings always hit the Hawks hard. Especially after the whistle.

JUMP
The Hawks have no jump. Maybe period 2 and 3 of game 1 was their best effort.
Too many times I've seen the Preds breaking up ice with 4.
There have been virtually no odd-man rushes for the Hawks.

DEFENSE
Soupy's speed has little to do with the problem.
Hammer has to stop trying to back-hand pucks out of the zone.
Keith has been terrible. I personally blame him for the failed clear that led to the first Pred goal in game 3.
Seabs has been rather invisible too. Our 2 high-profile D-men have been non-factors.
The wingers (i.e. Kane especially) also need to be smarter with the puck in the defensive zone.
And for the love of Pete would someone please check the puck-carrier!!
How does a guy get to skate from the boards to the blue paint in O.T. and not get checked, bumped or flattened?
animated-hockey-smiley-image-0017.gif

POSITIONING
When they show the Hawks practicing clips on the local news, they have a guy in front of Crow screening him.
This virtually never happens in a real game (with the rare exception of Kanes PP goal in game 3).
Hawks take too many LOW percentage shots. Shots along the goal line. Shots from the blue line.
They never seem to get in the slot or between the circles.
When you play hockey, as a defender, you're taught to keep the wingers away from the middle of the ice.
And the Hawks spend most of their time DELIBERATELY along the boards and below the goal line.
It could be that other coaches are telling their defense, if they want to skate there and take shots form there - fine. We'll crowd the middle of the ice and keep quality scoring chances to a minimum.
And it's working (for the Preds).

animated-hockey-smiley-image-0001.gif

My MVP of the series so far - announcer Pat Foley.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yesterday the hawks recalled Gustafson, Motte and Kyle Baun.

sure sounds like they are being paid extra to get physical in practice.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, didnt get one win, almost met their one goal motto in 3 games, unless you count Crawford throwing one in his net as it was in his glove. We will see the common theme in a few days of letting the fans know how injured some of these guys were. Q pushed some buttons having Kero facing off when Anisimov was on the ice, Keith actually bodied up on that guy with his head down to open the third and for a second 4 predators wanted to take him out. They got around on Finesse for this dynasty, now the NHL has finesse from guys who want to put you thru the glass.

Anyway, we all know Anisimov did not look even 50%, but Rinne and 5 skaters moving forward for what seemed the entire series other than maybe 5 out of the 240 minutes was just too much. TVR was the best D man in the series. Seabs and Keith kept throwing the puck to the middle of the ice where it always seemed there were 5 predators waiting and they just did not adjust. Hammer needs to learn to play right handed maybe. He has the biggest balls on the team, but all this backhand shit is making him seem like Jon Lester, who cannot throw the ball to the bases.

Hard to pick a best forward. Rasmussen was noticable, Krueger as well, Hossa played well for some stretches too.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kitchen gone, in charge of Defense and PK. Apparently Q was not in on the decision.

Rockford coach Ted Dent fired.

Scapegoats galore, while Bowmans went old with Campbell, Rosival and Oduya and continued to allow Hammer to play as the righty.

Still seems like a big name player is going to be gone somehow, its the only way that they will be able to sign more veteran free agents.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kitchen gone, in charge of Defense and PK. Apparently Q was not in on the decision.

Rockford coach Ted Dent fired.

Scapegoats galore, while Bowmans went old with Campbell, Rosival and Oduya and continued to allow Hammer to play as the righty.

Still seems like a big name player is going to be gone somehow, its the only way that they will be able to sign more veteran free agents.

I think Seabrook is top on the list of likely goners, though he does have a no move clause, right?

He had a terrible season.

Would be nice if we could move Crawford and just go with Darling, sink or swim... Not because I believe any of this is Crow's fault, but just because financially it'd be best if we could go with the younger and cheaper option.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Patrick Kane
  2. Jonathan Toews
  3. Duncan Keith
  4. Brent Seabrook
  5. Corey Crawford
  6. Niklas Hjalmarsson
  7. Marian Hossa
No movement guys. I dont think they will mind losing Krueger and his cap hit to protect TVR and Hartman. Vegas still has to meet the cap floor anyway right?

Apparently if they ask Hossa to waive his no move, he still stays on the hawks books for 4.25 million over the next 4 years as a penalty for the cheap back loaded deal.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Patrick Kane
  2. Jonathan Toews
  3. Duncan Keith
  4. Brent Seabrook
  5. Corey Crawford
  6. Niklas Hjalmarsson
  7. Marian Hossa
No movement guys. I dont think they will mind losing Krueger and his cap hit to protect TVR and Hartman. Vegas still has to meet the cap floor anyway right?

Apparently if they ask Hossa to waive his no move, he still stays on the hawks books for 4.25 million over the next 4 years as a penalty for the cheap back loaded deal.

In a perfect world, I'd move Toews, Seabs, Crow and Hossa from that list... Honestly with Hossa, I think he's still bringing it for his age, but that's the thing... His age...

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a perfect world, I'd move Toews, Seabs, Crow and Hossa from that list... Honestly with Hossa, I think he's still bringing it for his age, but that's the thing... His age...

They have to get permission to move them from the list. Those 7 are the contractual locks.

Hossa got screwed getting put to the third line, he cant be happy about that, but cap hit on this team is brutal you might as well keep him here because you are paying for him anyway.

I would prefer Hammer went unless he learns to play the left side again. D will be better with Campbell and Oduya out of the mix and there is no reason to not protect TVR any more, other than worrying you wont be able to afford his next contract too.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowman has still not made the big move, and what seems like trouble brewing between Bowman and Q, it can be a rocky season when Q does not dress these young stars.