• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BINGO! Percy Harvin on the trade black

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He's making it off 3 years? He's only had 2 thousand yard seasons. He's been on a steady decline. Is it his rookie year, or this last season that you feel warrants 9.6M per year.

His rookie year. He had an excellent rookie season.

Roethlisberger played in 13 games, but he clearly wasn't the same after he came back from that injury. Did you see his games against the Chargers? I did. He came back too early.

And Wallace missed a game himself this year. His average would have put him at around 900 yards over 16 games. With the injury problems they both had & the OL have had over the last few years, he's been done an great job.

And I wouldn't require him to do any more than that with the Niners to earn that money. Keep the safety deep, keep them from double-teaming Crabs & get around 900 yards or more. That's worth close to 10 million dollars to me if it puts the offense over the top for a superbowl.

This is kind of like my arguement for Bray. It's not a perfect option, but it's the best one available IMO. If Dwayne Bowe were a few years younger, I'd rather the Niners go after him. But he's turning 29 in September.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His rookie year. He had an excellent rookie season.

Roethlisberger played in 13 games, but he clearly wasn't the same after he came back from that injury. Did you see his games against the Chargers? I did. He came back too early.

And Wallace missed a game himself this year. His average would have put him at around 900 yards over 16 games. With the injury problems they both had & the OL have had over the last few years, he's been done an great job.

And I wouldn't require him to do any more than that with the Niners to earn that money. Keep the safety deep, keep them from double-teaming Crabs & get around 900 yards or more. That's worth close to 10 million dollars to me if it puts the offense over the top for a superbowl.

This is kind of like my arguement for Bray. It's not a perfect option, but it's the best one available IMO. If Dwayne Bowe were a few years younger, I'd rather the Niners go after him. But he's turning 29 in September.

You talk about 29 as if he is on the downside of his career. We are talking about a WR who doesn't base his success on sheer speed.

And you keep bringing up Bray and I still don't understand why. Why are we going to spend a day two pick on a backup QB? We have Tolzien as a backup. We can go ahead and draft a developmental QB in the later rounds that we can groom to be a comparable backup in later years but the chance of Bray hitting the field is slim to none in his first season anyways, injury or not. So in my mind, a 2nd round pick for a backup QB is something I would expect out of the Raiders, not us.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Harvin and the 49ers
February, 12, 2013 11:58AM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

A typically slow week of the NFL offseason got a boost when it was reported that the Minnesota Vikings are set to put mercurial WR Percy Harvin on the trading block and see what kind of offers they can generate at the scouting combine.

The New England Patriots have been the team most strongly linked to an acquisition of Harvin, thanks to the idea that they were high on him coming out of college, and that one of Bill Belichick's close associates at the NCAA level is Urban Meyer, who was Harvin's coach at Florida. But another team that has emerged as a speculative destination is San Francisco. The basis of this speculation is the fact that the Niners need a secondary WR target behind Michael Crabtree and they have a wealth of draft picks available for trading purposes -- 12 as of now, with additional compensatory picks likely on the way, as well as anything they're able to get in exchange for QB Alex Smith.

In addition, the 49ers are helmed by HC Jim Harbaugh and OC Greg Roman, who have tailored one of the NFL's most effective offenses around the unique skill sets of their offensive players. A versatile weapon like Harvin could function as the Swiss Army knife, making a dangerous air and ground attack that much more difficult to stop. Lastly, the Niners have not been afraid to take risks on players that have been difficult to work with in other NFL destinations, and they have a strong nucleus of veterans on both sides of the ball to aid in the psychological aspects of having Harvin on the roster.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvin and the 49ers
February, 12, 2013 11:58AM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

A typically slow week of the NFL offseason got a boost when it was reported that the Minnesota Vikings are set to put mercurial WR Percy Harvin on the trading block and see what kind of offers they can generate at the scouting combine.

The New England Patriots have been the team most strongly linked to an acquisition of Harvin, thanks to the idea that they were high on him coming out of college, and that one of Bill Belichick's close associates at the NCAA level is Urban Meyer, who was Harvin's coach at Florida. But another team that has emerged as a speculative destination is San Francisco. The basis of this speculation is the fact that the Niners need a secondary WR target behind Michael Crabtree and they have a wealth of draft picks available for trading purposes -- 12 as of now, with additional compensatory picks likely on the way, as well as anything they're able to get in exchange for QB Alex Smith.

In addition, the 49ers are helmed by HC Jim Harbaugh and OC Greg Roman, who have tailored one of the NFL's most effective offenses around the unique skill sets of their offensive players. A versatile weapon like Harvin could function as the Swiss Army knife, making a dangerous air and ground attack that much more difficult to stop. Lastly, the Niners have not been afraid to take risks on players that have been difficult to work with in other NFL destinations, and they have a strong nucleus of veterans on both sides of the ball to aid in the psychological aspects of having Harvin on the roster.

This is my Niner offseason wet dream. This and Odrick and I could give a flying fuck about who we draft. Ok, that's a bit of hyperbole but you get where I'm going with this.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
People who wouldn't want Harvin on this team don't have enough brain cells to think normally. Eihter that or they are simply content in making the playoffs (their ultimate goal) and could care less if we are good enough to win the SB.

Adding Harvin alone is good enough for us in terms of elevating our offense so much so that that would then allow us to spend the remainder of our draft picks on the defensive side. We wouldn't even have to address the offense if we chose to take that approach. His presence makes everyone around him better, and the talent we have on our offense now, would make us see an even better version of Percy Harvin.

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
People who wouldn't want Harvin on this team don't have enough brain cells to think normally. Eihter that or they are simply content in making the playoffs (their ultimate goal) and could care less if we are good enough to win the SB.

Adding Harvin alone is good enough for us in terms of elevating our offense so much so that that would then allow us to spend the remainder of our draft picks on the defensive side. We wouldn't even have to address the offense if we chose to take that approach. His presence makes everyone around him better, and the talent we have on our offense now, would make us see an even better version of Percy Harvin.

Couldn't have said it better-right on the money....

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I kind of like the idea of a Harvin type player to be used as a #1 option compared to a standard #1 WR type receiver for this offense. Imagine how much exploiting we could do with him in a two tight end package that has LMJ lined up at RB, Harvin and Crabs spread out with Davis and a versatile rookie TE. You could motion LMJ out at WR and motion Harvin in as a RB. Then spread Davis out wide and shift Crabtree to the slot. Could completely just mess with a defense presnap and force them into a lot of zone coverages to cope with all the parts.

Do we want the high priced migrane? Could just keep loading up on versatile cheap options through FA and the draft and achieve similar stuff if we're not going to make him the #1 over Crabtree. We might be able to get more value by dropping this money on defense at CB/NT positions.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do need a grand slam off-season. Hopefully they swing for the fences without fucking up the cap in future years.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would gladly trade a 3rd for Harvin if I were the 49ers. Even if its a 1 year rental situation (he doesn't sign an extension), its worth the risk with the amount of draft picks the 49ers have in this draft.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would gladly trade a 3rd for Harvin if I were the 49ers. Even if its a 1 year rental situation (he doesn't sign an extension), its worth the risk with the amount of draft picks the 49ers have in this draft.

That's EXACTLY my point too!! :suds: I would loan him just to win a chip just like we had done with Deion Sanders for one year. We have so many picks this is the year to be a little bold / borderline wreckless with making deals.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvin is expected to hold out under current deal | ProFootballTalk

That decision usually doesn't change with a trade to a new team. I can't think of a single player who said he was going to hold out for a new contract, got traded and showed up to play under his old contract for his new team. Typically the team trades for the guy and gives him a new deal. So this 1 year rental stuff, it just isn't going to happen.

*EDIT*

BTW, if the 49ers are interested... I hope Minnesota doesn't do business the way those dickwads in Chicago do. The last time the 49ers tried to trade for a guy who wanted a new contract it didn't go over so great because of those shady bastards.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Harvin is expected to hold out under current deal | ProFootballTalk

That decision usually doesn't change with a trade to a new team. I can't think of a single player who said he was going to hold out for a new contract, got traded and showed up to play under his old contract for his new team. Typically the team trades for the guy and gives him a new deal. So this 1 year rental stuff, it just isn't going to happen.

Well, the benefit of this is that it'll make his trade value go down. The down side is, obviously, he'll hold out.

I think it would be a mistake to trade for him & not sign him to a long-term deal.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This, but I hope they draft a potentially solid Center in the 4th to 6th round.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the benefit of this is that it'll make his trade value go down. The down side is, obviously, he'll hold out.

I think it would be a mistake to trade for him & not sign him to a long-term deal.

... making it a moot point for any team that was willing to trade for him in the first place, but you're right that it probably increases the Vikings' sense of urgency.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
harvin would be deadly in our packages...

but he's basically similar to what james brings to the table