• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Biggest weaknesses for AFC North teams - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 1 of 2

Biggest roster weaknesses for Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Steelers - NFL
By Scott Kacsmar

In a series of articles the next few days, Football Outsiders will be looking division-by-division at the biggest weakness left on each team's roster after free agency and the 2015 NFL draft.

This edition examines the AFC North.

Baltimore Ravens

Biggest post-draft weakness: Defensive line depth

Baltimore did a very good job of filling some of its biggest needs in the draft. Joe Flacco needed young receivers, and the Ravens obliged with tight end Maxx Williams and wide receiver Breshad Perriman. Both should see plenty of action right away, supplying an answer at every position for the offense.

The secondary sunk Baltimore's 2014 season thanks to six defensive backs finishing on injured reserve. Better health, especially for cornerback Jimmy Smith, should help fix that problem, and the Ravens have also added veterans Kyle Arrington and Kendrick Lewis to the group.

The biggest loss remains Haloti Ngata, a potential Hall of Fame defender who was traded to Detroit. Ngata brought plenty of versatility and leadership to this unit, two qualities that are hard to replace with young players. Brandon Williams has secured one starting position on the line, but second-year end Timmy Jernigan will hope to replace Ngata after he flashed with four sacks last year. Jernigan had six quarterback hits, which was one more than Williams, Ngata and Chris Canty combined.

Canty is going on 33 years old, and he did not register a single quarterback hurry last season, according to Football Outsiders game charting. The ship has sailed long ago on Terrence Cody (released in January) replacing Ngata, so it's really up to what Jernigan and the other young players can do this season -- including third-round pick Carl Davis (Iowa), who has very good physical tools but slipped in the draft for his lack of pass-rushing production and a questionable motor.

Cincinnati Bengals
Biggest post-draft weakness: Slot receiver

You could almost see the Bengals marking off their checklist of needs in the draft, with back-to-back selections on the offensive line followed by needed depth at the positions where injuries or disappointing play have hurt them: tight end, inside linebacker, cornerback and defensive end.

That still leaves the passing game as the area where the Bengals need to improve the most, but there is no improving on Andy Dalton at quarterback this offseason. What the Bengals can do is enhance what's around him, and this offense is currently lacking a quality slot receiver. Dalton tends to overthrow his receivers and force high catches, so if the Bengals have someone capable of running underneath routes that are easy to complete, then Dalton's efficiency should pick up and it would help keep the offense on schedule.

Cincinnati signed deep threat Denarius Moore, but he has caught just 46.9 percent of his career targets -- the exact opposite of a high-percentage receiver. A.J. Green is a great receiver, but he is not one of those high-percentage slot weapons. With the help of ESPN Stats & Information, we tracked 30.2 percent of Dalton's throws to Green as being uncatchable in 2014. That is largely on the quarterback, but it also speaks to the types of routes the receiver runs in the offense. Tyler Eifert and Marvin Jones are coming off injury-plagued seasons and Mohamed Sanu disappeared down the stretch. Sanu averaged 7.8 targets per game thru Week 12, but had just 12 targets and 71 receiving yards in the final five games. Sanu also had the third-highest rate of dropped passes among wide receivers, according to ESPN Stats & Information game charting.

Slot receiver Wes Welker is still a free agent. In 2014, Welker had the lowest rate of uncatchable targets among wide receivers (9.4 percent). It's hard to miss a guy who rarely runs more than eight yards down the field. Welker has had his share of concussion problems, but he could be a value signing at this stage. Third-and-5 would be a bit easier for Dalton if a quality underneath option were an alternative to forcing another high ball to Green 15 yards down the field.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 2 of 2

Cleveland Browns
Biggest post-draft weakness: Pass-catchers

The 2015 draft was considered another deep class for wide receivers, but the Browns continued to build in the trenches instead. Fourth-round pick Vince Mayle (Washington State) was Cleveland's only wide receiver choice. With Josh Gordon suspended for the year, Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel have to make plays with Dwayne Bowe, Brian Hartline, Taylor Gabriel, Andrew Hawkins and Travis Benjamin. Bowe infamously played in a Kansas City offense with zero touchdowns to wide receivers in 2014, while Hartline has one of the lowest touchdown rates in NFL history at his position (4.0 percent).

The problems may be even deeper at tight end after Jordan Cameron left for Miami. The trio of Gary Barnidge, Rob Housler and Jim Dray combined for 39 catches in 2014. Was Jeff King not available? Cleveland drafted Malcolm Johnson (Mississippi State) in the sixth round, but go figure, he's a blocking tight end not expected to make a receiving impact. (That's assuming there even will be a passing game in Cleveland this year.)

Zach Miller failed a physical for Seattle in March, but if he's healthy this summer, that is definitely a signing for the Browns to make. In his career with the Seahawks and Raiders, Miller has been a reliable target when healthy.

Pittsburgh Steelers
Biggest post-draft weakness: Safety

Pittsburgh's 2014 defense ranked outside of the top 20 in Football Outsiders' DVOA metric for the first time in the entire history of that metric, which currently goes back to 1989. The decline to 30th made it obvious the draft would focus heavily on that side of the ball. Six of the eight picks were used on defense, but the Steelers continued to load up on first-round linebackers instead of retooling the secondary. Cornerback Senquez Golson was chosen in the second round and should see plenty of snaps this year, but the Steelers passed on taking a safety like Damarious Randall or Landon Collins in the first round.

If the pass rush is still shaky and the cornerbacks are learning on the fly, then the safeties could be really exposed down the field. In his first season with the Steelers, Mike Mitchell did not provide the splash plays that led to a career season in 2013 with Carolina. He ranked 62nd in adjusted success rate in pass coverage (out of 71 qualifying safeties) one year after ranking 28th, according to Football Outsiders' game charting.

Troy Polamalu was clearly on his last legs in 2014, but his retirement still left a big void in the defense that was really not addressed in free agency or the draft. Gerod Holliman was selected out of Louisville in the seventh round, but picks that late rarely work out, let alone produce a starter in Year 1.

Third-year safety Shamarko Thomas is likely the guy to replace Polamalu in the starting lineup, but he only played three defensive snaps in 2014. As a rookie, Thomas played 189 defensive snaps, but he struggled in pass coverage, with a 38 percent adjusted success rate. Thomas essentially has to be the Steelers' most improved player in 2015 for new defensive coordinator Keith Butler to return the Pittsburgh defense to its long history of being above average.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarvis Jones needs to produce for the Steelers defense this year or he will fall into the bust category!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest weakness for the AFCN is the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals.
I think the Browns will leap-frog these 3 weak teams this year.....

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Next time you whine about trolling we'll all be sure to take your complaint very seriously.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next time you whine about trolling we'll all be sure to take your complaint very seriously.

I don't complain about good trolling. You do it well, I'll applaud. Go for the mindless drivel, I'll call you on it.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Says the Fan of the team whose asses were down twice by 14 in the divisional playoff round then sought what is now an illegal play as there last hope 3 times to win a tight game.

Brady was getting owned and Flacco owned your defense.

You got your Lonbardi but remember it had Ben 10 years since you did. It's time for an AFC North team to win again. I see the Ravens or Pitt inning it.With Brady celebrating his 50th birthday next year you've seen your last Super Bowl.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the Fan of the team whose asses were down twice by 14 in the divisional playoff round then sought what is now an illegal play as there last hope 3 times to win a tight game.

Brady was getting owned and Flacco owned your defense.

You got your Lonbardi but remember it had Ben 10 years since you did. It's time for an AFC North team to win again. I see the Ravens or Pitt inning it.With Brady celebrating his 50th birthday next year you've seen your last Super Bowl.

Tgann63, that sounds less than you. You relly believe that the Patriots using deception to beat poor coaching, sorry pass rush, and swiss cheese secondary was the Patriots fault?
You know, by default, if one of the AFCN were to step up, it will not be the Ravens because you jinxed your team with your whiny excuses.....

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't complain about good trolling. You do it well, I'll applaud. Go for the mindless drivel, I'll call you on it.

So I have your attention I see... I was the original troll but am now a refined gentleman.

;)

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness.

The AFC east or "free pass" to the playoffs for the Patriots division is hapless. I know your trolling but for Christ sake have a little dignity.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I have your attention I see... I was the original troll but am now a refined gentleman.

;)

I can't believe you came back to whine and cry. I campaigned to bring you back. I wanted the Ravens to be properly represented, in the spirit of the rivalry. You might have to up your game.
Perhaps you can explain about how Flaccid had us owned instead of Patriots made half time adjustments?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness.

The AFC east or "free pass" to the playoffs for the Patriots division is hapless. I know your trolling but for Christ sake have a little dignity.

The only reason the Ravens ended up in the playoffs is because Pittsburgh, the division champs, was too weak to win a game. The Patriots beat what, 6 division leaders?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be competitive there again this year, think Baltimore wins the division again though.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe you came back to whine and cry. I campaigned to bring you back. I wanted the Ravens to be properly represented, in the spirit of the rivalry. You might have to up your game.
Perhaps you can explain about how Flaccid had us owned instead of Patriots made half time adjustments?
Flacco owned the weak Patriots defense; torched them. First half and second half look at the stats. Rejoice u got a championship it's the last you see under Brady. From his point Brady just stands in the way of another NE championship so until he retires in two years at 52 it's just a waiting game.

10 years without a championship and u finally got one. Rejoice. btw when was the last SB victory for anyone else in the hapless AFC east? Case close on the tuffer division.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason the Ravens ended up in the playoffs is because Pittsburgh, the division champs, was too weak to win a game. The Patriots beat what, 6 division leaders?

The only reason the Patriots have home field in the playoffs which is why they are even moderately successful is bc of deficient competition in there division.

Win some on the road thrn spout til then. Yawn.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be competitive there again this year, think Baltimore wins the division again though.
Baltimore makes a Super Bowl run this year. Book it.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any analysis of the Browns' weaknesses that doesn't start and end with Q U A R T E R B A C K is mindless drivel. A great quarterback can get by with less than stellar receivers who can be developed. A great receiver is helpless if the guys throwing him the ball are over the hill career backups or recent rehab graduates. The Browns had the leading receiver two years ago (after he missed 2 games to suspension) with Branden Weeden and a host of never was's but still went 5-12.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason the Patriots have home field in the playoffs which is why they are even moderately successful is bc of deficient competition in there division.

Win some on the road thrn spout til then. Yawn.

So by your thinking, The Patriots need to lose more games to "prove themselves????

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So by your thinking, The Patriots need to lose more games to "prove themselves????

No that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is the Patriots "would" lose more games if they played in the AFCN and not the perennially weak AFCE. think about it every year the AFCN has either 2 or 3 contenders in the playoffs while the AFCE has 3 that are planning there draft picks by December.

6 layup games a year almost 1/2 the schedule yearly is a joke.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is the Patriots "would" lose more games if they played in the AFCN and not the perennially weak AFCE. think about it every year the AFCN has either 2 or 3 contenders in the playoffs while the AFCE has 3 that are planning there draft picks by December.

6 layup games a year almost 1/2 the schedule yearly is a joke.

The Superbowl Champions split with Miami and Buffalo, won 2 games against the Jets by combine 4 points.

The Superbowl Champions won every game they played against AFCN opponents.
Looks like they have a tougher time against the AFCE.
Saying the Superbowl Champions won because they played in a weak division is pathetic.
The Superbowl Champions beat 5 division leaders plus 2 more in the playoffs. Should have been 3 in the playoffs but the AFCN division winner got beat by a week AFCN wildcard team and could not advance!