• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

biggest issue with replay

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took 4 1/2 minutes for them to figure out a Braves call. They should have looked at it a few times and called down the ruling within seconds.

I heard the goal is 90 seconds and the average has been 2 min 15 seconds. I also heard the cost has been astronomical in funding the MLB "war room" in NYC, staffed with ex-MLB umps who do the reviews.

Just think if we had had this in place for Armando Galarraga's perfect game. It would have saved years on Jim Joyce's life.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem is I have seen so many replays were it was obvious that it needed to be overturned and it comes back inconclusive. Its like they are say "Eh, Close enough I guess."

Inches are not close enough. Get the freaking call right. That is the whole point of replay.

one out or a runner on in scoring position can change the outcome of a game. A bang bang play where a runner is out by 6 inches is not close enough the call stands.

What the hell are these umps looking at? They should watch the tv angles in slow motion cause they clearly show the right answer.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and they still got it wrong.

Yea, I can't really argue with you there. Bad footwork by Freddie lead to not being able to stretch out for it otherwise he would have been out by a half step. Just putting his right foot on the bag could have easily given him an extra 3-4 feet of extension to catch it sooner.
And I think they will. A perfect solution is the first base coach has a flag. He has to toss it in the first 10 seconds. It puts the responsibility on someone for the team making an instant decision.

I like it so far and think this is a good beta test. v 2.0 should fix a few different issues.

They could easily set up a button or something for the coaches in the dugout too. It would probably be harder for them to get a flag out in 10 seconds compared to a 1st or 3rd base coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I want to know is when they go in for a replay do they actually get ALL of the angles that the cameras catch? I mean I have seen some replays that are only 30 seconds (could be that it was an easy call to make) so there is no way to see all angles.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I want to know is when they go in for a replay do they actually get ALL of the angles that the cameras catch? I mean I have seen some replays that are only 30 seconds (could be that it was an easy call to make) so there is no way to see all angles.

I think they have all available feeds. I've heard commentators make reference to MLB having access to every camera angle and then some.

I think Instant Replay is a bad idea in baseball and it's working out mostly the way I thought it would. It's a long season and calls even out in the end. Hopefully MLB gets rid of it after this season.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have all available feeds. I've heard commentators make reference to MLB having access to every camera angle and then some.

I think Instant Replay is a bad idea in baseball and it's working out mostly the way I thought it would. It's a long season and calls even out in the end. Hopefully MLB gets rid of it after this season.

If it's going to take them 5 minutes to come up with a call if I'm a manager I might end up just trying to use it to break up some momentum for the opposing team even I don't care how the call turns out.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and you can not argue a replay correct? Missed last night but Farrell got rung up because of that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general, I think replay has been a positive. There are obviously going to be hiccups, but the replays don't take all that long. And it could eliminate the neighborhood play, ultimately, because it becomes increasingly difficult to assess when replay is involved, and that would be a good thing, in my opinion.

However, replay also led to a reclarification of what constitutes a catch, which now includes making a clean transfer to the throwing hand. On a double-play, that makes sense, because the transfer is so quick, and it eliminates some judgement on the umpire's part. In the outfield, however, the transfers are slower, and there's more likelihood that steps are taken with the ball in possession before the transfer (see the Elliot Johnson play video embedded in the link below for one such completely ridiculous example). It doesn't make sense in the outfield.

Baseball?s New Strategy: Drop the Ball on Purpose | FanGraphs Baseball

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow that's a terrible call on Hamilton

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"overturned call" I mean

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOLY CRAP JOHNSON CAUGHT THAT BALL CLEARLY!!

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and you can not argue a replay correct? Missed last night but Farrell got rung up because of that.

I think Farrell was still mad about the SNAFU from Saturday game. The call Sunday was bang bang, but the review got it right. The call Saturday was missed on the field. Then the review system failed the Sox, because of some BS problem.

I do like on the close plays, they are showing a still shot of either the runner on the base or the fielder with the ball.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't believe a reported blamed Farrell for Carp being thrown out at 2nd. Hello it happens.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's going to take them 5 minutes to come up with a call if I'm a manager I might end up just trying to use it to break up some momentum for the opposing team even I don't care how the call turns out.

I imagine that's how replay will be used. It's a lot like time outs in basketball and football.

I just don't think anything is really gained with Instant Reply. A blown call doesn't change the outcome of a baseball game and before someone smartly points to winning run scored because of a blown call that "win" was the result of everything that happened throughout the game. Everyone thinks MLB has it out for their favorite team and their opponents must be paying off the officials but everyone gets their share of calls.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine that's how replay will be used. It's a lot like time outs in basketball and football.

I just don't think anything is really gained with Instant Reply. A blown call doesn't change the outcome of a baseball game and before someone smartly points to winning run scored because of a blown call that "win" was the result of everything that happened throughout the game. Everyone thinks MLB has it out for their favorite team and their opponents must be paying off the officials but everyone gets their share of calls.

But if a game is tight enough to come down to a blown call, then doesn't the team it hurts deserve an opportunity to challenge that call?

Yes, everything in the game led to the winning team being in a position to benefit from that blown call, but at the same time, everything in the game also led to that blown call being significant in terms of the game's outcome.

It doesn't appreciably slow down the game. Five minutes are not especially significant relative to three hours. But it allows fewer calls to be wrong during a game, and that's a good thing. It puts the game more firmly in the athletes' hands to control the outcome.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if a game is tight enough to come down to a blown call, then doesn't the team it hurts deserve an opportunity to challenge that call?

Yes, everything in the game led to the winning team being in a position to benefit from that blown call, but at the same time, everything in the game also led to that blown call being significant in terms of the game's outcome.

It doesn't appreciably slow down the game. Five minutes are not especially significant relative to three hours. But it allows fewer calls to be wrong during a game, and that's a good thing. It puts the game more firmly in the athletes' hands to control the outcome.

I don't know how you can say it doesn't appreciably slow down the game when there has been a tremendous criticism about it slowing down the game. People clearly are noticing and, despite that, people are still complaining about the calls. With numerous angles to choose from the right call seems to depend entirely on who your favorite team is.

The difference would likely be negligible over the course of a season even if every blown call was overturned correctly, so I guess I just don't see the reason in making a long game longer for virtually no measurable difference.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how you can say it doesn't appreciably slow down the game when there has been a tremendous criticism about it slowing down the game. People clearly are noticing and, despite that, people are still complaining about the calls. With numerous angles to choose from the right call seems to depend entirely on who your favorite team is.

The difference would likely be negligible over the course of a season even if every blown call was overturned correctly, so I guess I just don't see the reason in making a long game longer for virtually no measurable difference.

I can say it doesn't appreciably slow down the game because it's objectively true. Many of these calls being challenged are the ones umpires and managers would shout at each other about for a few minutes anyway. Those few minutes have now been siphoned into a system which could--but not necessarily will--make those arguments actually mean something. The call can now be changed when the umpires deem it appropriate.

What does it ultimately add if you include those arguments and discussions? Two, three minutes? And that's only in games in which it's employed.

The big effect for speeding up the game lies entirely in getting pitchers to get the ball and throw the ball at a good rate. That would more than mitigate any time cost by replay, and the games then would be both ultimately shorter and more dense with action.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a far from perfect system and I'm sure there will be major changes next year. I'm sure when NFL started replay it didn't go smooth either. So we just have to deal with the game as is this year. It is annoying so far since it seems EVERY game the manager of both teams have to come out and do the slow walk at least once.

The real problem this year is wtf is up with the new rules for blocking the plate?! You go from one game to another and watch the same play happen and one time it's safe and another it's out.... At least with replay it's been pretty consistent. They will miss calls, but the vast majority they will get right. Unlike the new plays at the plate rule. That one is a disaster.