• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

big boys

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think there could be a surprise signing in free agency at a different position..... Such as a somewhat big contract for a corner. I can just see the headlines coming out when we make a big splash for a corner and haven't signed an offensive lineman or Bates. It will be hilarious.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think there could be a surprise signing in free agency at a different position..... Such as a somewhat big contract for a corner. I can just see the headlines coming out when we make a big splash for a corner and haven't signed an offensive lineman or Bates. It will be hilarious.
Bates camp is working hard to spread the news about his heroics in the playoffs, not wanting franchise tag, etc. He wants to be be paid as the highest paid safety in the NFL. So in this case, I guess if we can get him to agree to $15 million? Is that a win considering we gave Waynes $14 million a year to sit in rehab for 2 years?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bates camp is working hard to spread the news about his heroics in the playoffs, not wanting franchise tag, etc. He wants to be be paid as the highest paid safety in the NFL. So in this case, I guess if we can get him to agree to $15 million? Is that a win considering we gave Waynes $14 million a year to sit in rehab for 2 years?
I think if Bates was looking for 15 million per year, he'd be signed. I have sense he's looking for 17 million or higher. It doesn't make sense to get in a pissing match over 15 million since that's what you'll need to pay him on the cap.

Bates demands are somewhat a product of the Bengals own creation. Their social media team has been pushing him as a star for the last 2-3 seasons. It makes sense in that he was a good young player that we drafted and by all accounts a good teammate, productive member of society, blah, blah, blah..... But you can't make 100 twitter posts about Bates being the best safety in the league and then tell his agents you're not paying him as the best safety in the league.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if Bates was looking for 15 million per year, he'd be signed. I have sense he's looking for 17 million or higher. It doesn't make sense to get in a pissing match over 15 million since that's what you'll need to pay him on the cap.

Bates demands are somewhat a product of the Bengals own creation. Their social media team has been pushing him as a star for the last 2-3 seasons. It makes sense in that he was a good young player that we drafted and by all accounts a good teammate, productive member of society, blah, blah, blah..... But you can't make 100 twitter posts about Bates being the best safety in the league and then tell his agents you're not paying him as the best safety in the league.
It was more about PFF putting numbers behind it, and then Hobson, but yes, I understand your point fully. I guess that all depends on Bates and how much he is willing to sacrifice to stay here as a leader and be loved by his teammates and fans in a system where he excels. Never know what the grass on the other side feels like, except it includes a few million more that may or may not be realized outside Cincinnati so easily.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was more about PFF putting numbers behind it, and then Hobson, but yes, I understand your point fully. I guess that all depends on Bates and how much he is willing to sacrifice to stay here as a leader and be loved by his teammates and fans in a system where he excels. Never know what the grass on the other side feels like, except it includes a few million more that may or may not be realized outside Cincinnati so easily.
I'm not even putting this one on Hobson. He writes about every Bengal like they're the best at their position. It's more the Bengals social media/twitter team.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even putting this one on Hobson. He writes about every Bengal like they're the best at their position. It's more the Bengals social media/twitter team.
I get you. This really is a catch 22. They are hyping their players to create reasons for folks to buy tickets and merchandise, but on the same token when you do that and PFF puts numbers behind it, then yeah, they are worth more. So I get ya. We will see where this merry mess winds up.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we have lots of work to do on the offensive line, but I would at least be content if they can sign Jensen to help with the line calls at center and put Burrow in a good protection set. Then also Daniels from the Bears. He is young, strong and starting tro come into his own, just like DJ Reader was at the end of his Texans tenure. A gem early before he gets way too pricey.

I am looking at if we can field this line this year, we will be doing okay (with a chance to add to it the following year as well if Carmen or our RT doesn't look like they will pan out):

LT Williams
LG Carmen
C Jensen
RG Daniels
RT (From 1st or 2nd round of draft) Daniel Faalele, Bernard Raimann, Sean Rhyan, Nicholas Petit-Frere

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we have lots of work to do on the offensive line, but I would at least be content if they can sign Jensen to help with the line calls at center and put Burrow in a good protection set. Then also Daniels from the Bears. He is young, strong and starting tro come into his own, just like DJ Reader was at the end of his Texans tenure. A gem early before he gets way too pricey.

I am looking at if we can field this line this year, we will be doing okay (with a chance to add to it the following year as well if Carmen or our RT doesn't look like they will pan out):

LT Williams
LG Carmen
C Jensen
RG Daniels
RT (From 1st or 2nd round of draft) Daniel Faalele, Bernard Raimann, Sean Rhyan, Nicholas Petit-Frere
I'd be okay with that as long as we had a veteran option at RT. Something like a rerun of Reiff or another guy that is similar.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be okay with that as long as we had a veteran option at RT. Something like a rerun of Reiff or another guy that is similar.
However, they say that Boozman's market value will be around a 3 year deal worth $21 to $24 million. They say Jensen's market value is around 3 years $39-$40 million.

Daniels is going to be around 5 years $50 million.

So would it be better off going after Boozman for $8 million instead of Jensen's $13 million and spending that money on Reiff for another year?

This would leave us plenty of money to sign Bates long term if they choose to do that instead of just franchise tag him. Could maybe use another CB and I would really like to see Ogunjobi brought back, but that is probably asking too much.

Right now I have read articles linking us to DE Jerry Hughes, C Ryan Jensen, OG James Daniels, C Bradley Boozman, OG Brandon Schreff and many others.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, they say that Boozman's market value will be around a 3 year deal worth $21 to $24 million. They say Jensen's market value is around 3 years $39-$40 million.

Daniels is going to be around 5 years $50 million.

So would it be better off going after Boozman for $8 million instead of Jensen's $13 million and spending that money on Reiff for another year?

This would leave us plenty of money to sign Bates long term if they choose to do that instead of just franchise tag him. Could maybe use another CB and I would really like to see Ogunjobi brought back, but that is probably asking too much.

Right now I have read articles linking us to DE Jerry Hughes, C Ryan Jensen, OG James Daniels, C Bradley Boozman, OG Brandon Schreff and many others.
I'm sure there is a lot of stuff being floated by agents right now as they are tying to create a market for their clients. I suppose you need to cast your net widely..... See who you can get to bite on a price you like and then continue to adjust as you start getting guys on board or people are taken off the market.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals are going to have north of $50 on this cap, and cash/cap nearing 100M - You get Jensen. I'd go for Tomlinson from SF, but Daniels is also fine.

You can still sign Reiff for 1 more year - and I would because Faala is a year, or two, away. Even Raimann may need some live reps to be ready, but there isn't any guarantee either of those guys are there.

You spend on 3 OL spots and then that allows you to do what you need in the draft, including being able to drop back from 31, stock up on another 2nd round pick, and/or 3rd round pick - and get some depth which will be needed at both DL and DB, and still load up on a few OL guys to back up the veterans.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals are going to have north of $50 on this cap, and cash/cap nearing 100M - You get Jensen. I'd go for Tomlinson from SF, but Daniels is also fine.

You can still sign Reiff for 1 more year - and I would because Faala is a year, or two, away. Even Raimann may need some live reps to be ready, but there isn't any guarantee either of those guys are there.

You spend on 3 OL spots and then that allows you to do what you need in the draft, including being able to drop back from 31, stock up on another 2nd round pick, and/or 3rd round pick - and get some depth which will be needed at both DL and DB, and still load up on a few OL guys to back up the veterans.
Yea. I expect 1 or 2 real upgrades. After that we’re looking for bargains and draft

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears Bates is looking to become the #1 paid safety in the NFL. He wants more than Jamal Adams $17.5 million per year.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears Bates is looking to become the #1 paid safety in the NFL. He wants more than Jamal Adams $17.5 million per year.
Bates...welcome to the Franchise tag.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bates...welcome to the Franchise tag.
Franchise and trade for a first round pick?

I like that kid Nick Cross from Maryland. Great combine numbers and looked good during the season as well. Possibly another Jesse Bates type player with a touch more speed?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise and trade for a first round pick?

I like that kid Nick Cross from Maryland. Great combine numbers and looked good during the season as well. Possibly another Jesse Bates type player with a touch more speed?
No, I'm not trading him. Keep him for 1 more year, and know you have to draft a Safety likely now in round 2.

Could still work out well if the Bengals opt to maybe drop back from 31 - could pick up an extra pick.

I'd also look into Tunsil with the 1st round pick as trade. Getting a proven OT > draft pick at 31 which may, or may not, have the guy you need there - and if he even pans out.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we lost dunlap and dawson,,,,,,,,,,,and somehow got better. Bates however is a center fielder. need to stay strong up the middle

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we lost dunlap and dawson,,,,,,,,,,,and somehow got better. Bates however is a center fielder. need to stay strong up the middle
Can't pay him #1 Safety money. The defense has already had a ton of money spent in the past 2 years. The OL has to be priority #1, and don't forget they will also need a TE.

Bates is good, and I would pay him average of top 5 - but I'm not setting the market for him.