• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

big boys

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 NFL Stars Who Will Be Traded This Offseason

LT Mekhi Becton​

Mekhi-Becton-2.jpg
USA TODAY Sports

Mekhi Becton appeared in just one game for the Jets last year. The 22-year-old suffered a knee injury in Week 1 which was expected to sideline him for 4-to-6 weeks. He ended up not returning for the remainder of the season under mysterious circumstances. Given the lack of clarity in the situation, it leads one to believe that Becton and the Jets aren’t exactly on good terms.

When he’s on the field, Becton has proven to be an impact player who is worthy of his status as a former first-round pick. If a team can ensure that he’s fully healthy entering 2022, Becton will be a hot commodity. The Bengals have done a poor job of protecting Joe Burrow early in his career. Becton would provide some security for the franchise QB.

Prediction: Becton gets traded to the Cincinnati Bengals for a first-round pick (No. 31)

My take: Interesting thought, but I can't see it happening. If it did, I am not sure where Williams winds up, unless Becton moves to RT, or Williams does. Who is best equiped to move to RT? Maybe become LG? No Idea. Interesting Idea. 1st round capital is not as valuable at the end of the 1st round, but still classified a 1st. At 22 to 23 years old, not a bad gamble at all there, but he is working under a 5 year contract, just 2 years down, 3 years left that should be affordable if the 5th year option got picked up.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predicting Where The Top 32 NFL Free Agents Will Sign

Terron Armstead​

Armstead.jpg
Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports

Protect your investment. This is what the Bengals’ mantra should be all offseason. As we’ve seen this year, Joe Burrow is the real deal. He’s one of the best young QBs in the league — and may already be a top five-to-seven QB in the league at this point. Cincinnati’s relevance as a franchise hinges on Burrow and his health. He’s already suffered a season-ending knee injury early into his career. This can’t happen again — which is why the Bengals would be wise to upgrade their OL. Terron Armstead would be a great place to start.

Prediction: Armstead signs a 4-year, $80 million deal with the Cincinnati Bengals

Yeah. I don't think so. Too rich for Brown when you have a guy playing LT already who is your best offensive lineman probably and much cheaper.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I ask - don't sign/draft someone and then move them to another position. Play them where they've been good, or get someone else. No more guessing games.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be against Armstead, though I agree it is extremely unlikely that the Bengals would do something like this.

My argument for him would be that you can lock up a premiere left tackle for 4 or 5 years. Williams is a solid starter but probably isn't even in the top half of left tackles. There is also a good chance that you can move him to the right side - A position he did play in college and could likely man for his final two years of his rookie deal. It's a lot of money to have locked up in your tackles - But you play in a division with Myles Garret and TJ Watt - Almost 1/4 of your schedule automatically involves blocking the best of the best on the outside.

The big issue with Armstead is that if you sign him, you will limit the funds you need to fix the middle of your line.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jensen/Tomlinson. Solves a OG/C issue. Figure out Carmen at OG, and draft an OT in round 1 for RT.

The C/G class is pretty deep in F/A. There are good guys to be had. No excuse not to get 2 clear-cut starters.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be against Armstead, though I agree it is extremely unlikely that the Bengals would do something like this.

My argument for him would be that you can lock up a premiere left tackle for 4 or 5 years. Williams is a solid starter but probably isn't even in the top half of left tackles. There is also a good chance that you can move him to the right side - A position he did play in college and could likely man for his final two years of his rookie deal. It's a lot of money to have locked up in your tackles - But you play in a division with Myles Garret and TJ Watt - Almost 1/4 of your schedule automatically involves blocking the best of the best on the outside.

The big issue with Armstead is that if you sign him, you will limit the funds you need to fix the middle of your line.
I am going to play a little trade/free agency game. I have researched some of these guys and looked at projected salaries through free agency.

That first big guy scenario I posted of Mekhi Becton is of interest to me. He is a massive dude, young, 3 years of control left on his contract, it can get a bit expensive in 3rd year with option picked up, but not $20 million. Trade a #1 for Becton if the Jets are truly ready to move on and get value for him. Question is, does he want to play and win. If so, a good coach and good teammates with a chance to win could revive his desire to fight out on the field. (Salary owed: $5 mill in 2022, $5.8 mill in 23, with team option in 24)

That relieves us of our 31st pick (but saves us that contract also), but it is a young control player that is not going to hardly cost anything against the cap this year, and we can use some of that cap towards interior lineman. Same situation for Jonah Williams.

James Daniels is my first target from the Bears (projected salary between $6 - $8 mill a year). Young guy, really coming into his own. Already a top 15 guard in the NFL.

Bradley Bozeman to go with what Cincy78 was talking about. Double bonus, get our center and hurt a division rival. He will cost about $10/mill per year. However, I am not opposed to Ryan Jensen either, who would cost about the same amount.

Conner Williams would make a great RG but also be able to backup across the interior of the line. He will be a bit pricey at around $10 million a year. Not sure how much we can afford, but I think if they really want to build the line, with guys you can grow with, while giving draft picks time to develop (Carmen, Hill, Smith, and a pick or two this year, we can develop).

Becton $5 million
Daniels $8 million
Bozeman $10 million
Williams $10 million
Williams $6 million

That is $39 million next year on the offensive line. Granted, Jonah is already accounted for, so that is only $33 million of new money.

Releasing Waynes creates $5 million in dead cap for the year, but frees up $10 million
Release Hopkins creates $1.25 dead cap, but frees up $6 million
Spain going free agent frees up $1.25 million
Reiff going free agent frees up $7.5 million

So by letting these guys go, we freed up an additional $25 million approximately.

That is only about $8 million out of our $50 million available cap space coming into the season.

We can now draft best available player in the draft starting in round 2.

Guys we would like to see resigned: Bates, Ogunjobi and Uzomah

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to play a little trade/free agency game. I have researched some of these guys and looked at projected salaries through free agency.

That first big guy scenario I posted of Mekhi Becton is of interest to me. He is a massive dude, young, 3 years of control left on his contract, it can get a bit expensive in 3rd year with option picked up, but not $20 million. Trade a #1 for Becton if the Jets are truly ready to move on and get value for him. Question is, does he want to play and win. If so, a good coach and good teammates with a chance to win could revive his desire to fight out on the field. (Salary owed: $5 mill in 2022, $5.8 mill in 23, with team option in 24)

That relieves us of our 31st pick (but saves us that contract also), but it is a young control player that is not going to hardly cost anything against the cap this year, and we can use some of that cap towards interior lineman. Same situation for Jonah Williams.

James Daniels is my first target from the Bears (projected salary between $6 - $8 mill a year). Young guy, really coming into his own. Already a top 15 guard in the NFL.

Bradley Bozeman to go with what Cincy78 was talking about. Double bonus, get our center and hurt a division rival. He will cost about $10/mill per year. However, I am not opposed to Ryan Jensen either, who would cost about the same amount.

Conner Williams would make a great RG but also be able to backup across the interior of the line. He will be a bit pricey at around $10 million a year. Not sure how much we can afford, but I think if they really want to build the line, with guys you can grow with, while giving draft picks time to develop (Carmen, Hill, Smith, and a pick or two this year, we can develop).

Becton $5 million
Daniels $8 million
Bozeman $10 million
Williams $10 million
Williams $6 million

That is $39 million next year on the offensive line. Granted, Jonah is already accounted for, so that is only $33 million of new money.

Releasing Waynes creates $5 million in dead cap for the year, but frees up $10 million
Release Hopkins creates $1.25 dead cap, but frees up $6 million
Spain going free agent frees up $1.25 million
Reiff going free agent frees up $7.5 million

So by letting these guys go, we freed up an additional $25 million approximately.

That is only about $8 million out of our $50 million available cap space coming into the season.

We can now draft best available player in the draft starting in round 2.

Guys we would like to see resigned: Bates, Ogunjobi and Uzomah
I would welcome that plan with open arms.... I am not against moving our first rounder for a proven commodity. My only concern with Becton is the injury and year off. Did he not work hard to get back? Does he have attitude issues or physical issues that will be an issue? As long as we did due diligence, I would be okay with acquiring him and giving up the pick.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would welcome that plan with open arms.... I am not against moving our first rounder for a proven commodity. My only concern with Becton is the injury and year off. Did he not work hard to get back? Does he have attitude issues or physical issues that will be an issue? As long as we did due diligence, I would be okay with acquiring him and giving up the pick.
Agreed. I'll give up a 1st, but I would feel better with a conditional 1st round pick offer. If whatever ails him previously ends up being an issue still, it ends up a 2nd round pick. If he plays the 1st year with no issues related to the previous issues (so, if his previous issue was a knee, and he tears a pec, that doesn't count) - it sticks as a 1st rounder.

But, again - I think that's a gamble I'd be willing to take. Give him most of the money in year 1/2 and then if for some reason, he doesn't pan out - you can cut him without carrying too much dead weight forward and move on.

That is where the next step for this team is at: Moving on from bad drafts/signings. Sometimes, that means eating a little money - but a guy you miss on hurts you once, or twice a year (if in conference/division). A guy you mis-evaluate and stick with hurts you every single day, and every single game.

Time to pony up on the OL - and start operating like a Franchise that has the ability to, year in and year out, be a legit Super Bowl contender.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On the surface, obtaining Becton is very intriguing. However, the two red flags are rather large:

* injury history
* perception of being disgruntled

The first bullet point is factual. He has been in the league for 2 years and has yet to play a full season. His rookie year, he played in 13 games and this past season...just 1 game.

The second bullet point is unknown. I am not going to pretend that I have an understanding of the Jets and their personnel. I find it a little troubling that IF he is "wanting" out this early in his career, what does that say about his character? Bengals (this coaching staff at least) put a major emphasis on having team leaders and people that love football. I'm not saying that Becton doesn't but they value players that are going to come in and put the work in. That's all I'm saying.

Don't want to get burned by adding a younger version of Cordy Glenn to the team.

Perhaps a change of scenery is necessary? Also, getting him closer to "home". Played collegiately at Louisville.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is reiff under contract?

We never seem to realize that oline is an injury prone position. You need 6 or 7 legitimate nfl lineman

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is reiff under contract?

We never seem to realize that oline is an injury prone position. You need 6 or 7 legitimate nfl lineman
My hope is that you can get Spain and Reiff on favorable deals with the plan for them to be back-ups. I can't imagine either guy getting much of a chance at a starting position somewhere else (maybe Reiff, but no guarantees), but they would be valuable back-ups here.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we brought Reiff here to be a starting tackle.

anyhow, I hope he's healthy, but we need to look at upgrading around 4 out of 5 OL positions if possible.

that's a lot!

I don't know that we really will sign 4 new OL by next season, that seems like A LOT based on prior experience. I think Jackson Carman may show improvement, I don't think the organization has given up on him already. he was drafted into an area of great need, but it seems like he wasn't as ready as we hoped, or maybe he got hurt.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be in favor of trading 31 for Tunsil, but I've read conflicting things about the cap hit.

I am not opposed to it. Is Tunsil a RT? Because Hobson is already saying moving Jonah Williams off LT is a non-starter for management. So there is that. Which means the top tackles on the market (LT's) are not an option for us unless they want to move to RT?

However, at 18.5 million, Armstead wouldn't be much more and I am pretty sure he is younger and wouldn't cost a draft pick.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not opposed to it. Is Tunsil a RT? Because Hobson is already saying moving Jonah Williams off LT is a non-starter for management. So there is that. Which means the top tackles on the market (LT's) are not an option for us unless they want to move to RT?

However, at 18.5 million, Armstead wouldn't be much more and I am pretty sure he is younger and wouldn't cost a draft pick.
I don't think Hobson has any special knowledge here..... I think he's basing that more on 1) that they seemed resistant to the idea when Sewell was being considered with first pick last year (see comments by Callahan) and 2) he's likely assuming they aren't shelling out the money for Amrstead.

Williams isn't an elite left tackle. He might not be better than average. I don't think he's the reason you'll lose games, but I also don't think he's so good at his position that you ignore the chance to upgrade. As I said before, you play in a division with TJ Watt and Myles Garret. It's probably in your best interest to put high value on pass-blocking tackles.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Hobson has any special knowledge here..... I think he's basing that more on 1) that they seemed resistant to the idea when Sewell was being considered with first pick last year (see comments by Callahan) and 2) he's likely assuming they aren't shelling out the money for Amrstead.

Williams isn't an elite left tackle. He might not be better than average. I don't think he's the reason you'll lose games, but I also don't think he's so good at his position that you ignore the chance to upgrade. As I said before, you play in a division with TJ Watt and Myles Garret. It's probably in your best interest to put high value on pass-blocking tackles.
I agree with that. However, Those contracts seem very un-Bengal like.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. However, Those contracts seem very un-Bengal like.
Definitely agree. I can't see them signing a big deal for Armstead. I think there are a lot of mid-range contracts for guards and centers coming up in this round of FA and I think this will be the market for the Bengals. If I had to make a prediction I would say that they will sign two, clear established starters on the interior, one marginal starter or back-up on a one-year deal (a guy like Spain), and one potential starter at right tackle (a Reiff type deal).

I would be surprised if they sign 3 legit starters or if they acquire someone via trade.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my prediction:
for the OL

they will draft 1 early, hopefully, this is a hit with everyone, and hopefully, they don't wait until the second or 3rd round.

they will sign 1 decent free agent, an upgrade over what we have, but otherwise, nothing to get too excited about, but like the Reiff signing, people will agree it was a good idea.

and they will draft one in the middle rounds of the draft

they may sign a free agent online that really should be a backup, who will end up starting some games due to injury.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my prediction:
for the OL

they will draft 1 early, hopefully, this is a hit with everyone, and hopefully, they don't wait until the second or 3rd round.

they will sign 1 decent free agent, an upgrade over what we have, but otherwise, nothing to get too excited about, but like the Reiff signing, people will agree it was a good idea.

and they will draft one in the middle rounds of the draft

they may sign a free agent online that really should be a backup, who will end up starting some games due to injury.
I think they see the potential now. I really think they will try to help, but I think it falls somewhere between the pessimists on the board, and the big dreamers like myself.

I say we sign one really good offensive lineman that is willing to sacrifice just a couple million to play with Burrow. So say a guard or tackle around $12 million a year.

Then we will sign one more free agent that is kinda in the mid tier area, for around 6 to 8 million a year.

Outside that, we will draft one with our 31st pick if we don't find a trade partner, however, if the right guy is not there, I am not opposed to trading down into the second round and grabbing another 2nd or 3rd rounder if a good corner back is not available either.

Then we will start looking at how to work in our other guys that we drafted last year, see how they develop and what we can expect out of them.