• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true at all, the Pac 12 teams don't give two shits about the money Texas or Oklahoma brings, they care about gaining access to the Texas recruiting area. The Pac12 will end up fine but we aren't like other conferences, we depend solely on one state to fill out a football team.
You might not care about the money/markets, but your administrators do, I promise you that.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they really don't or they would've accepted Baylor and had the Pac16.
:scratch: That's not really an argument one way or the other. I could say they don't care about recruiting in Texas or they would've accepted Baylor and it is the exact same thing.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true at all, the Pac 12 teams don't give two shits about the money Texas or Oklahoma brings, they care about gaining access to the Texas recruiting area. The Pac12 will end up fine but we aren't like other conferences, we depend solely on one state to fill out a football team.

Same with the big 12, lets merge. You guys drop Utah, and we'll bring Texas, Tech, TCU, ou and okie jr. Controlling the Texas and California recruiting bases would make it the premiere conference in America.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch: That's not really an argument one way or the other. I could say they don't care about recruiting in Texas or they would've accepted Baylor and it is the exact same thing.

You just said it's all about money. You can desperately want access to a recruiting ground but have lines you draw in the sand. With money you can't, what makes more money, the former Big 12 south or Colorado and Utah?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same with the big 12, lets merge. You guys drop Utah, and we'll bring Texas, Tech, TCU, ou and okie jr. Controlling the Texas and California recruiting bases would make it the premiere conference in America.

Can't really drop Utah or Colorado, they have a seat at the table and for some reason I see the Hippies trying to play the moral card. Before they were a bankrupted athletic department, not anymore.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just said it's all about money. You can desperately want access to a recruiting ground but have lines you draw in the sand. With money you can't, what makes more money, the former Big 12 south or Colorado and Utah?
I said money is the major driving factor, not the only one. Utah and Colorado are good markets and logical expansion targets for the PAC.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:doh: I did say it's just markets. That's not what I meant. I meant that conferences would not expand just for recruiting, but they would expand just for money. In this case, it would be some of both, but money is always the primary driving factor.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some type of merger between the Pac and the Big 12 makes the most sense. Merger might not be the best term. The Pac would incorporate several Big 12 teams. OU, Texas, Kansas and pick a Texas school. I don't see them taking 2 Oklahoma teams. Boone St could get lucky and the SEC might want them like they did A&M.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then there would be East and West divisions.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The beginning of the haves breaking away from the have nots.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The beginning of the haves breaking away from the have nots.
Yeah, I've been saying that for several years now. I've never been able to come up with 64 that are true "haves". Some are considered such just by membership.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've been saying that for several years now. I've never been able to come up with 64 that are true "haves". Some are considered such just by membership.
No real easy way to kick them out. I still want 18 team conferences...64 P5s, Notre Dame, BYU, and a few of the better G5's. 9 team divisions with a round robin in division. 4 non-con games, one against each of the other 3 conferences and 1 from the other side of the conference. Conference championship games determine playoff. There ya go.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so all these conference Tier1 contracts expire at about the same time? Did I hear that right somewhere today?

If so, that's very interesting.

Also heard the competing bids for CFB distribution (just more of what we've heard some of lately) will be youtube, Netflix, Google, Snapchat, Facebook, Amazon and some others.

Most of the BIG new money is all on the West Coast...maybe Texas ought to head West indeed.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big12/PAC merger was talked about when the Big12 got raided. Give the PAC some new time zones including eastern assuming WVU is still in and gives Big12 what it wants too.

The Big Pacific 22...Hmmmm

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No real easy way to kick them out. I still want 18 team conferences...64 P5s, Notre Dame, BYU, and a few of the better G5's. 9 team divisions with a round robin in division. 4 non-con games, one against each of the other 3 conferences and 1 from the other side of the conference. Conference championship games determine playoff. There ya go.
With only one "other side" game each year, that sounds more like eight, 9 team conferences than four 18 tram conferences.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With only one "other side" game each year, that sounds more like eight, 9 team conferences than four 18 tram conferences.
Yeah, except you are each competing for one playoff spot. Really all you need to do is win your division and you are top 8 and have a shot at the title. It could lead to better noncon match ups and the bowls could still exist.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 North
Iowa State
Kansas State
Kansas
BYU
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Memphis

Big 12 South
Texas Tech
Baylor
Houston
TCU
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Those divisions would be extremely unbalanced in terms of competitiveness.

Yeah that's pretty unbalanced... plus, non-Texas schools are going to desire Texas exposure within their division, so I cannot see all five Texas teams being placed in the same division, instead I see an EAST-WEST alignment with Texas teams in both divisions. Competitive balance will never be perfect, and will of course fluctuate from time-to-time..... but I can possibly see a divisional alignment somewhat similar to the following:

(new members in BOLD CAPS)

WEST
BYU
Kansas
K-State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech

EAST
Baylor
CINCINNATI
HOUSTON

Iowa State
MEMPHIS
TCU
West Virginia

:thumb:

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It would help but they already recruit well in Texas. The last two classes USC and UCLA have grabbed a couple of Texas kids I thought were ours. In addition, our starting MLB this year is a transfer from Cal-could have been one of the best defensive players in the Pac this year but he got homesick as a Freshman.

Arizona State and Oregon got maybe the two best dual threat qb's in the region in 2015 (Oregon got a kid from Oklahoma). We regularly recruit against them, Washington State, and Oregon State for 3* guys in the area.

The conference is doing alright in Texas now.