• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Better for a player to be Skilled greatly at ONE positio or to be "decent" at multipl

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it better for a player in the NFL if they can play multiple positions "decently" or is it better for a player to be excellent at ONE position only and one of the best?

I am not talking about QBs... But let's talk about a CB or DB.. Is it better for said player to only be skilled at one DB or CB position instead of multiple positions within the same category? aka Interior LIneman or outside lineman or just be very skilled out OL?

What say you?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking it would be better for a player to be highly skilled at one position come draft time because teams are looking to specific types of players, no?

It can't hurt once you get picked to be versatile though

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it better for a player in the NFL if they can play multiple positions "decently" or is it better for a player to be excellent at ONE position only and one of the best?

I am not talking about QBs... But let's talk about a CB or DB.. Is it better for said player to only be skilled at one DB or CB position instead of multiple positions within the same category? aka Interior LIneman or outside lineman or just be very skilled out OL?

What say you?

In general for your starters I would think you'd want them to excel at one position...but...your 6th/7th OL guys would be ideal if they can play maybe 2 spots.

For secondary...if you can't cover, you damn well better be able to tackle...then you can play S...I look at guy like Dunta Robinson that ATL signed as a FA...(now in KC and still getting burnt) was never a good cover guy, but would knock your balls off...he probably would've been better suited to play S.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general for your starters I would think you'd want them to excel at one position...but...your 6th/7th OL guys would be ideal if they can play maybe 2 spots.

True, especially considering how easily and how many players are getting injured this year

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone else?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say it depends on the position. Like for me I like to have DL players that can play inside and outside as most teams these days are doing hybrid systems that are both 4-3 and 3-4 so having guys who can play at different positions benefits the defense. Throw in then when injuries do happen you hopefully have some quality back ups that can slip right into the position that maybe were playing a different one. Same with the OL. Looking at the Broncos this year they have their Center who last year was a back up guard. They have had their guards play the Tackle position as well because of injuries and have done pretty well.

Now some positions though that don't make sense would be RB, WR, QB, and TE. I guess you could say the skill positions. Although even there TE I guess it is nice when they can line up in the slot position and still make plays as a receiver.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say it depends on the position. Like for me I like to have DL players that can play inside and outside as most teams these days are doing hybrid systems that are both 4-3 and 3-4 so having guys who can play at different positions benefits the defense.

you are right it probably more is needed on the defense than compared to offense

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a better baseball question than football... since position in football has as much to do with size and body type than it does with talent...

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a better baseball question than football... since position in football has as much to do with size and body type than it does with talent...

In baseball you can pretty much plug in any outfielder in left or right (anybody who can play center can play either of those as well). Any SS can play 3rd (unless they don't have an arm) and 2nd. You can plug 1st basemen in right field every once in a while too (like Big Donkey) but they're a liability on defense if it gets to the wall.

For football I'd want my 2nd stringers to be versatile but my starters to excel at their own position.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would like my quarterback to be able to catch his own passes. he should be multi-talented.

seriously, though, some versatility at certain positions can be an enormous advantage for a coaching staff when injuries occur, things need to be changed up, or guys can be moved around during the game to keep the opponent guessing. versatility is a huge thing at certain positions.