• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best & worst drafts

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Reid pick prevented us from getting Damontre Moore who I believe would have been a better OLB than Corey Lemonier.

In a 3-4? I will grant you Moore is probably a better 4-3 DE at this point (although Lemonier has a much higher ceiling & isn't considered a moron). However, you really wanted Demontre Moore to play in space at the NFL level? He's not even a speed rusher much less quick enough to play OLB. He's a technician guy who gets to the QB with leverage. It's extremely rare that he beats his guy around the corner.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious what outsiders think about the Seahawks draft.

Personally the pick of Christine Michael in the 2nd round made me want to jump out of my window seeing as how he's going to be our 3rd string running back. I just don't understand the logic in using our first selection on a 3rd string running back with HUGE injury concerns.

Then Jordan Hill although he fills a position of need seemed to be a pretty big reach. Jesse Williams I thought was a great pick. But a majority of the Seahawks selections I did not like.

Having said that, most Seahawk fans think I'm "negative" for having that opinion that our draft was mediocre. Whereas I feel like they are viewing these picks through blue and green glasses and basically seeing what they want to see.

234, I don't think most Hawk fans think you are negative regarding this draft. I might have to relook the thread over because I believe I was the only one remarking about your negative postings on the draft thread.

It is one thing to say your team has a mediocre draft. It is entirely different putting down the teams 1st selection the day he is drafted, calling him a waste of a pick, continuing the drivel in 13 posts about him, then bringing up all of our FO's draft mistakes in an effort to remind us that we should not look through blue and green glasses as our team leaders are more than capable of and have been making mistakes on draft day.

Cripes man, let the play on the field determine if they are a waste or not.

There are many teams in this league that have a reputation for terrible drafting. We are not one of them.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
234, I don't think most Hawk fans think you are negative regarding this draft. I might have to relook the thread over because I believe I was the only one remarking about your negative postings on the draft thread.

It is one thing to say your team has a mediocre draft. It is entirely different putting down the teams 1st selection the day he is drafted, calling him a waste of a pick, continuing the drivel in 13 posts about him, then bringing up all of our FO's draft mistakes in an effort to remind us that we should not look through blue and green glasses as our team leaders are more than capable of and have been making mistakes on draft day.

Cripes man, let the play on the field determine if they are a waste or not.

There are many teams in this league that have a reputation for terrible drafting. We are not one of them.

UhSplit, I have to believe that you are being a bit oversensitive with a tongue in cheek comment like "waste of a pick". That phrase has been uttered by many on this board with many players drafted by the Niners as a knee jerk reaction. I wouldn't read too much into it.

SEA has a boom or bust reputation of drafting, finding great value in the later rounds while doing some head scratchers in the early rounds.

I'm not necessarily saying that 234 is dead on the money as I definitely disagree with his assertion that Michael will be a 3rd down back at best, but he is definitely entitled to his opinion and his knee-jerk reactions are not uncommon of fans on draft day, IMO. Hell, I think half this board thought our McDonald pick was a "waste of a pick" initially before seeing what he brought to the table....and the fact that we grabbed him right in front of SEA, which made the pick that much sweeter. :)

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Most draft grades I read on Seattle count Percy Harvin as part of it.

If that's the case how come none of the grades I read on us are counting Boldin as a 6th round pick or Colt McCoy as a 7th rounder?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UhSplit, I have to believe that you are being a bit oversensitive with a tongue in cheek comment like "waste of a pick". That phrase has been uttered by many on this board with many players drafted by the Niners as a knee jerk reaction. I wouldn't read too much into it.

SEA has a boom or bust reputation of drafting, finding great value in the later rounds while doing some head scratchers in the early rounds.

I'm not necessarily saying that 234 is dead on the money as I definitely disagree with his assertion that Michael will be a 3rd down back at best, but he is definitely entitled to his opinion and his knee-jerk reactions are not uncommon of fans on draft day, IMO. Hell, I think half this board thought our McDonald pick was a "waste of a pick" initially before seeing what he brought to the table....and the fact that we grabbed him right in front of SEA, which made the pick that much sweeter. :)

Fair enough dred. After coming through the espn wars, i may be a bit to touchy. Maybe, maybe not.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that's the case how come none of the grades I read on us are counting Boldin as a 6th round pick or Colt McCoy as a 7th rounder?

Don't you know, most late rounders don't make the team.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^ good point

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Counting Harvin as a 1st round pick is extremely deceiving. That would imply that they got Harvin just for the pick they gave up, but there was a lot more to it than that. They had to give him a deal worth 12 million a year too (otherwise they would've only had him for 1 season).

A real first round pick would get a 5 year deal for FAR less money than the monumental contract Harvin signed.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked the Packers draft and I dont think anyone is really talking about that. Datone Jones on the line, Lacy and Franklin at RB, 2 lineman and I actually like the one from Colorado. I think the Packers have a top 3 roster in the NFC with the Niners and Seahawks.

I think the Ravens and the Texans also had great drafts which puts them both in the Super Bowl hunt again.

Its hard to really knock any of the drafts in the NFC West. I do find it funny that no one liked the Rams draft last year and everyone like the one this year. No kidding...you mean you like are draft more when we start reaping the benefits of the trade? Who would've thought....

I also really liked the Panthers going after Star and Short. DT was the strength of the draft and it matched a weakness on their team. The ability to get 2 amazing talents in the middle should prove to be amazing.

Didn't like the Browns, Raiders, Redskins, Chiefs, Bears, Bills or Lolboys. Bills being the worst. There isnt a single player they drafted that Im high on and I think thats the only team I can say that with

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Chicago, the Long pick had me scratching my head. We could have had him later in the draft. Other than that, I really liked the 2 linebackers. We got replacements (hopefully) for Urlacher and Briggs in the same draft. Mills gives us more OLine depth and competition. Washington should help out nicely on the DLine. And Wilson in the 7th is awesome. I was really disappointed that we didn't get another TE (Otten) but it was one of the better drafts in recent memory for Chicago.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Chicago, the Long pick had me scratching my head. We could have had him later in the draft. Other than that, I really liked the 2 linebackers. We got replacements (hopefully) for Urlacher and Briggs in the same draft. Mills gives us more OLine depth and competition. Washington should help out nicely on the DLine. And Wilson in the 7th is awesome. I was really disappointed that we didn't get another TE (Otten) but it was one of the better drafts in recent memory for Chicago.
Im not sure I understand picking Long over Ogletree and Eifert. If they needed olineman that badly, they should have traded up or gone after some people outside of the draft like Albert. Long as a 1st round pick is a bit of a hail mary. It could work out but I wouldnt hold my breath

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Back to that GB draft - again. I got a chance today to watch WR Charles Johnson again from Grand Valley State, who they took in the 7th round. He really impressed me more after watching him more closely. He was the 25th or 26th WR taken in this draft but he's one to watch out for this summer in my opinion.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Counting Harvin as a 1st round pick is extremely deceiving. That would imply that they got Harvin just for the pick they gave up, but there was a lot more to it than that. They had to give him a deal worth 12 million a year too (otherwise they would've only had him for 1 season).

A real first round pick would get a 5 year deal for FAR less money than the monumental contract Harvin signed.

good point,

guess it also applies to us in Boldin. not nearly as big a deal, but similar idea.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really think anyone had a bad draft and I think that goes to show how deep this draft was. I think every team got value somewhere along the draft. With that being said...

IMO I thought the drafts for the Saints, Cardinals, Rams, Dolphins, and Ravens were the best of the best.

I thought these teams had a really good draft: 49ers, Titans, Steelers, Bengals, Bears, Packers, Vikings, Seahawks

These teams had a couple good picks, but some questionable ones as well: Giants (had the best first 3 picks imo), Cowboys (I like Escobar and think Fredrick will be a good C), Texans, Jaguars, and Chiefs.

Like I said above, it is hard for me to give a negative grade to any teams draft class right now. There are at least a couple picks I like that each team made.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't really think anyone had a bad draft and I think that goes to show how deep this draft was. I think every team got value somewhere along the draft. With that being said...

IMO I thought the drafts for the Saints, Cardinals, Rams, Dolphins, and Ravens were the best of the best.

I thought these teams had a really good draft: 49ers, Titans, Steelers, Bengals, Bears, Packers, Vikings, Seahawks

These teams had a couple good picks, but some questionable ones as well: Giants (had the best first 3 picks imo), Cowboys (I like Escobar and think Fredrick will be a good C), Texans, Jaguars, and Chiefs.

Like I said above, it is hard for me to give a negative grade to any teams draft class right now. There are at least a couple picks I like that each team made.

based on pure talent/NFL ready, value, upside/potential, or other? Minnesota had three good first picks.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
A trend w/ the Niners' draft picks this year:

Reid - 6'0 33.58 arms
Carradine - 6'4 34.68 arms
McDonald - 6'4 34.48 arms
Lemonier - 6'3 34.43 arms
Patton - 6'0 32.78 arms
Dial - 6'5 34.48 arms

Of the top 6 picks, only Patton doesn't have above average arm length.