• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best & worst drafts

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers hired Dave Gettleman from the Giants, and he supposedly brought their 'moneyball' style with him, but I'd rate this B- at best:

Star Lotulelei - like this one, should change they dynamics of the D immediately.
Kawann Short - another DT, early rotational possibility, questions about motivation.
Edmund Kubliga - small college OL, head-scratcher, almost certainly could have been had later.
AJ Klein - special teamer, could break LB rotation in time.
Kenyon Barner - I guess we're preparing for Deangelo Williams departure

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta believe one of you draft nerds (said with utmost respect) will write a summary up somewhere. Curious who we got and what the consensus is on talent heading into camp. After reading that I'll be good until OTAs start. Thanks.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pozz, I'm confused. It looks like your post suggests you feel roughly one third (~10 teams) of the league had a very good draft. You didn't mention the Niners either. How'd you feel about what we did?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Tavon Austin, Barrett Jones, and Brandon McGee to the Rams was very frustrating.

Gotta disagree with this. Barrett Jones & Brandon McGee were good picks, but I think they ruined their draft by taking Austin. WAY too high for what he offers; should've taken Warmack.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading the opposite, at least in the first 4 rounds.

I'm curious what outsiders think about the Seahawks draft.

Personally the pick of Christine Michael in the 2nd round made me want to jump out of my window seeing as how he's going to be our 3rd string running back. I just don't understand the logic in using our first selection on a 3rd string running back with HUGE injury concerns.

Then Jordan Hill although he fills a position of need seemed to be a pretty big reach. Jesse Williams I thought was a great pick. But a majority of the Seahawks selections I did not like.

Having said that, most Seahawk fans think I'm "negative" for having that opinion that our draft was mediocre. Whereas I feel like they are viewing these picks through blue and green glasses and basically seeing what they want to see.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and the fact that we let Quinton Patton fall to the 49ers made me want to scream. I liked Patton a lot and instead the Seahawks selected a WR (Chris Harper) who really does not impress me at all.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got a probably the best safety in this draft class in the 1st round
We got a DE with 1st round talent in the 2nd
We got an OLB with 1st round talent in the 3rd.
We got a top 10 Running back in the 4th round

I'm at work so have not got to read up to much on the rest today's draft yet, but just those 4 picks alone make this a good draft for us.

I can't believe Lattimore lasted that long. Did teams just forget how Peterson came back from his knee injury? Did they forget about Gore and his 2 knee surgeries? Lattimore to me makes this draft a homerun. I have no doubts he comes back just as good if not better from the injury. I don't we see him at all this coming season though.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm confused. It looks like your post suggests you feel roughly one third (~10 teams) of the league had a very good draft. You didn't mention the Niners either. How'd you feel about what we did?

I thought Baltimore, Green Bay, and Houston did quite well for themselves.

For now I'd put Atlanta, Arizona, Detroit, NYG, and Seattle below those three.

I'd put the 49ers in the group after those 8. I loved Reid but didn't love him at 18 over Lacy, Hankins, and Hopkins.

I don't love but I like Carradine if they're confident he can get back healthy.

Didn't like McDonald at 55 but I understood that one from the get go. I didn't want any TE early. I'll dislike that one more if Roman departs and the 49ers don't find a creative, off-the-wall sort of mind to replace him.

I was one of Lemonier's biggest fans (I thought?) on here but I had a few other names in mind at that spot. I can live with that pick pretty happily, though, for the most part.

From then on they didn't select anybody I had on my target list except for Lattimore but I had other backs well ahead of him at that point, too.

I understand the idea behind every pick after Lemonier except for B.J. Daniels, which I still need to hear more about from the staff, but I'm not thrilled with anyone else. Dial and Cooper are the two in that bunch that I'd have the most faith in given their make-up and support systems but we'll see.

Going in I didn't want to come out of this class with more than 7 or 8 players. I'd like to eventually find out if they tried trading out and just couldn't realistically do it and what their thoughts are on adding that many.

Carradine and Lattimore obviously have the injuries that need watching so it's possible they stash them on the PUP list if it goes down that path. I would expect Lattimore would be more of a candidate for that than Carradine.

Overall, it's one of the better 49ers drafts that I can remember because I've been quite disappointed in many of their drafts over the last several years and I usually only get 1, maybe 2, players that were on my target list. Discounting how they got them with trades and the spot they took them, they took 4 players I had on my target list. That's rare with me.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Speaking of Lacy...

Do Alabama RB's benefit so much from Saban's scheme as well as their usual mamoth offensive lines that they just can't live up to their college production? I don't want to dog on Lacy, but perhaps thats why he slipped. I can live without Lacy on the Niners roster, and I wouldn't even be that surprised if Franklin is the RB that the Pack will be thankful they drafted in 2013...

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious what outsiders think about the Seahawks draft.

Personally the pick of Christine Michael in the 2nd round made me want to jump out of my window seeing as how he's going to be our 3rd string running back. I just don't understand the logic in using our first selection on a 3rd string running back with HUGE injury concerns.

Then Jordan Hill although he fills a position of need seemed to be a pretty big reach. Jesse Williams I thought was a great pick. But a majority of the Seahawks selections I did not like.

Having said that, most Seahawk fans think I'm "negative" for having that opinion that our draft was mediocre. Whereas I feel like they are viewing these picks through blue and green glasses and basically seeing what they want to see.

I'm definitely not a draft expert, just going by a little bit of what I've read. I saw on SI that they were pretty down on the Christine Michael pick, and kinda so so on the Jordan Hill pick. I think they rated Jesse Williams in the 5th as their best pick (the quality of the pick at that spot, not the overall quality of the player). I'm sure most the people on this internet forum are smarter than paid annalists though. They rated Chris Harper as a decent pick also, I see him as a decent number 2 WR in a few years.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For the first time since following the draft, I did not give any team a failing grade. Lowest grade I would give a team is a C. Not even a C- It was extremely hard for any team to phuck up their draft because of the boat load of talent that fell in day 2 and 3. Seattle got Percy Harvin at pick 26 I believe, Browns got an underrated sack master in Mingo at #1, and a steal in the 2nd round in Josh Gordon. I mean, teams couldn't find a way to mess up their draft. The bears got Marques Wilson in the 7th round, wowwww!! Jay Cutler has some very good weapons in Chi Town. The Bucs got one of the best defensive back unit in the NFL. Barron, Revis, Banks, Goldson, sheesh. If anyone watched the any Redskins' games last year, you'd realize that their defensive back unit was the reason why they struggled to win games (despite making the playoffs). They had the worse defensive back unit in the league IMO. For a team not having a 1st round pick, they were able to upgrade their defensive back unit tremendously. Amerson, Phillip Thomas, and Baccari Rambo will start from day one. That unit is young and will certainly make their share of mistakes, but oh myyyy will they make plays at the back end of their D. All of those men are fearless in making plays on the ball (ballhawk type dbs). Chris Thompson will not be asked to take on a heavy load, but he'll be a good weapon to have to share the load with Alfred Morris. Brandon Jenkins is a serviceable backup to their great OLBs. But I can't believe they didn't add another weapon at the WR position for RGIII. Giants did the right thing by bringing in people to try to stop Alfred Morris and another player to try to bring down RGIII. Eagles got a major steal in Barkley. I could go on and on.

PS- I hated trading up for Eric Reid. I gave us a grade of B+ McDonald was also a slight reach, but I can tolerate that reach (we had way too many picks to use to begin with) because I knew as a #2 TE in our system, he will instantly be a major matchup problem for teams we play against. But trading up in the 2nd round for him is a bit of a reach. I like it better than Ertz at #34 than what most fans here were begging for.

The Reid pick prevented us from getting Damontre Moore who I believe would have been a better OLB than Corey Lemonier. Corey received a late 2nd/early 3rd round grade from me prior to the draft. He has very, very, very poor change of direction ability. He will never be a starter in our system as long as Brooks and Aldon remain on our team. But he'd make a serviceable backup. We got him in the late 3rd so a bit of a value there I guess. Patton is no better than Manningham, Kyle (if he's back 100%), or even Jenkins. It's an uphill battle for Patton from the onset to see the field this year. I would have much rather them used that pick on another position and target Marques Wilson later on in the draft if you really "needed another receiver to compete". Dial and Dobbs are going to go at it in camp, I liked that pick BTW. I wish both of them make the team; they both have brute strength to contest with the Seattle mean/nasty offensive line unit.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I forgot to expand on our grade. Right now it's a B+ but it certainly not yet set in stone. Due to the Alex Smith trade, our tentative grade has a chance to improve a bit to an A- or maybe even a straight A, depending on who we land in 2014 draft. So far though it's only a B+. I just think we didn't maximize on all of our picks when we had a chance (Reid trade messed us up a bit) IMO.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Draft 2013: NFC Draft Grades - NFL Draft Grades - Rotoworld.com

Rotoworld gave SF the only "A" in the NFC. Seattle got an "A-." No one else was in the A range.

They factored in the Harvin trade into their grade which is stupid.

The Harvin move was a great move on their part no doubt but he already has proven himself in the league and he's not a draft pick. So if you're grading a team's draft than it should be on who they drafted.

I didn't think Seattle had a bad draft but it just seemed like they drafted a bunch of quality contributors and not future impact starters.

Especially compared to the picks we had in the first 4 rounds which was filled with potential future starters and impact contributors.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I forgot to expand on our grade. Right now it's a B+ but it certainly not yet set in stone. Due to the Alex Smith trade, our tentative grade has a chance to improve a bit to an A- or maybe even a straight A, depending on who we land in 2014 draft. So far though it's only a B+. I just think we didn't maximize on all of our picks when we had a chance (Reid trade messed us up a bit) IMO.

Are you factoring in our 2014 3rd rounder from the Titans in your grade as well?

That was an outright fantastic grab considering it dropped us only 6 spots and we likely got the player we targeted anyways.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to pretty universal that the Cowboys had a pretty bad draft. The Panthers as well.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought Baltimore, Green Bay, and Houston did quite well for themselves.

For now I'd put Atlanta, Arizona, Detroit, NYG, and Seattle below those three.

I'd put the 49ers in the group after those 8. I loved Reid but didn't love him at 18 over Lacy, Hankins, and Hopkins.

I don't love but I like Carradine if they're confident he can get back healthy.

Didn't like McDonald at 55 but I understood that one from the get go. I didn't want any TE early. I'll dislike that one more if Roman departs and the 49ers don't find a creative, off-the-wall sort of mind to replace him.

I was one of Lemonier's biggest fans (I thought?) on here but I had a few other names in mind at that spot. I can live with that pick pretty happily, though, for the most part.

From then on they didn't select anybody I had on my target list except for Lattimore but I had other backs well ahead of him at that point, too.

I understand the idea behind every pick after Lemonier except for B.J. Daniels, which I still need to hear more about from the staff, but I'm not thrilled with anyone else. Dial and Cooper are the two in that bunch that I'd have the most faith in given their make-up and support systems but we'll see.

Going in I didn't want to come out of this class with more than 7 or 8 players. I'd like to eventually find out if they tried trading out and just couldn't realistically do it and what their thoughts are on adding that many. [

Carradine and Lattimore obviously have the injuries that need watching so it's possible they stash them on the PUP list if it goes down that path. I would expect Lattimore would be more of a candidate for that than Carradine.

Overall, it's one of the better 49ers drafts that I can remember because I've been quite disappointed in many of their drafts over the last several years and I usually only get 1, maybe 2, players that were on my target list. Discounting how they got them with trades and the spot they took them, they took 4 players I had on my target list. That's rare with me.

yeah, was thinking 7 picks, 8 if we took Lattimore. granted you need trade partners too and timing is everything. for now, i'll assume there were no trade opportunities. didn't think we'd consider Lattimore till round 5, not necessarily waiting at our 5th round picks, but round 5.

agree that it would be ok should Tank end up on PUP. not saying do it now or pre-determine it, but IF he ends up there?

other than Reid, this draft is more for next season and beyond. not a revelation, just a reminder.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best NFC West - Everyone got better
Worst NFC West - Just got tougher for the 9ers