• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best spice mixes

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we talking about supermarkets or spice stores as well? At this place called Penzey's I've had a bunch of different spice blends they offer. The best part? If you subscribe to their catalog or even look online, you can find coupons for samples of these blends. I'm not talking tiny little samples but 1/4 cup to a 1/2 cup jar. The 1/4 is a bit small but the 1/2 is pretty good for free lol...
Here a a few I've tried and liked(and didn't pay a dime for lol)...

View attachment 121321

View attachment 121322

View attachment 121323
Bingo! Good call on the Penzey's Spies! I have been buying Penzey's for years now and they have so many good blends to offer, its hard to keep up. My wife and I are especially fond of their Bavarian seasoning. Salt-free, crushed Bavarian brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, thyme, sage and bay leaves. Pretty simple but not easy to reproduce as perfect as they have it. Goes great with any meat, especially when grilling or roasting.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's spicier than a ghost pepper apparently
Scorpion pepper sits at 2,000,000 SHU. The Carolina Reaper is the only pepper that tops it for the worlds hottest pepper at 2,200,000 SHU.

FUCK THAT!!!

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scorpion pepper sits at 2,000,000 SHU. The Carolina Reaper is the only pepper that tops it for the worlds hottest pepper at 2,200,000 SHU.

FUCK THAT!!!

My buddy is growing the reapers now

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My buddy is growing the reapers now
The only good reason to grow reapers is so you can carefully liquefy them, fill up a Super Soaker with the liquid and light up any Bungles fans that run their mouth during the Steelers/Bungholes battle at Heinz Field this coming season.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
51HPOtX8ybL._AC_UL320_.jpg
51lflkXcJBL._AC_UL320_.jpg

these are all my current favs

I love this stuff
816hXwojB+L._AC_UL320_.jpg

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But besides black garlic, I use "Umami powder" which is just powdered porcini mushrooms. It's great at adding that umami MSG flavor without using MSG and doesn't IMO taste like you added mushrooms.

I also use powdered worchestire in my spice rub, because I love worchestire sauce, but liquids aren't good for making a crust on sous vide cooked foods.

Same with tomato powder. Although this stuff is super strong, so you cant use much of it without it tasting tomato-y but using a tiny bit gives you that twinge of tartness or whatever without being able to place it.

Smoked paprika is my personal favorite, and my backbone to any spice rub. I just love the stuff.

Finally good salts actually make a difference. As somebody who grew up using regular table salt for everything, it's been eye opening to first learn about and start using kosher and Himalayan salts to dry brine meats before cooking. But now finding out and playing with different finishing salts for salting right before serving or at the table. I honestly never would have guessed how much of a difference it makes. Salt is not just salt.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my favorite base seasonings for grilled chicken: sumac

53_2903650_5F_epicesSumac.png

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But besides black garlic, I use "Umami powder" which is just powdered porcini mushrooms. It's great at adding that umami MSG flavor without using MSG and doesn't IMO taste like you added mushrooms.

I also use powdered worchestire in my spice rub, because I love worchestire sauce, but liquids aren't good for making a crust on sous vide cooked foods.

Same with tomato powder. Although this stuff is super strong, so you cant use much of it without it tasting tomato-y but using a tiny bit gives you that twinge of tartness or whatever without being able to place it.

Smoked paprika is my personal favorite, and my backbone to any spice rub. I just love the stuff.

Finally good salts actually make a difference. As somebody who grew up using regular table salt for everything, it's been eye opening to first learn about and start using kosher and Himalayan salts to dry brine meats before cooking. But now finding out and playing with different finishing salts for salting right before serving or at the table. I honestly never would have guessed how much of a difference it makes. Salt is not just salt.
ive been using Umami what do you use it on/? where do u get the powdered tomatoe and powdered worchetestire? whas the deal with black garlic vs regular

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.spicejungle.com/black-garlic-powder

I'll keep banging this drum until everyone tries it.

Powder is easy to use, but you can get whole cloves, puree, peeled cloves, basically any way you'd want it. And it's so good.
i went to this spice jungle site. WHat powders have u tried?
soy, soy tamarind, mesquite, vinegar what, vinegar malt all greatly intrigue me

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive been using Umami what do you use it on/? where do u get the powdered tomatoe and powdered worchetestire? whas the deal with black garlic vs regular

I originally just bought black garlic powder on Amazon because I had heard so much about it over a short period. Then they (Amazon) recommended umami powder, and before it was even delivered I was telling my best foodie friend about it and she claimed they used it all the time in Laotian cooking. She uses it for like soups and sauces and stuff. I throw it in crockpot stuff I'm cooking to give it more flavor. But mostly I just use it for my personal spice rub. I use it on pork, beef, burgers, steaks, chicken, I'll even sprinkle some into my scrambled eggs.

One of the times I reordered on Amazon, I ended up looking at other products the seller carried and ran across powdered worchestire and tomato. There was like 4-5 other things that I also was intrigued by, including powdered black truffle, powdered white truffle, and all different kind of mushrooms even morels. But that stuff was all much more expensive .

Just go to Amazon and type in powdered tomato or worchestshire or porcini, umami, black garlic, etc.

Oh and black garlic vs regular is kind of hard to explain. It's like regular garlic got leveled up in a video game. It takes that spicy edge off the garlic and mellows it out a little bit. But it also intensifies the umami deep rich garlicky part of the garlic.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I originally just bought black garlic powder on Amazon because I had heard so much about it over a short period. Then they (Amazon) recommended umami powder, and before it was even delivered I was telling my best foodie friend about it and she claimed they used it all the time in Laotian cooking. She uses it for like soups and sauces and stuff. I throw it in crockpot stuff I'm cooking to give it more flavor. But mostly I just use it for my personal spice rub. I use it on pork, beef, burgers, steaks, chicken, I'll even sprinkle some into my scrambled eggs.

One of the times I reordered on Amazon, I ended up looking at other products the seller carried and ran across powdered worchestire and tomato. There was like 4-5 other things that I also was intrigued by, including powdered black truffle, powdered white truffle, and all different kind of mushrooms even morels. But that stuff was all much more expensive .

Just go to Amazon and type in powdered tomato or worchestshire or porcini, umami, black garlic, etc.

Oh and black garlic vs regular is kind of hard to explain. It's like regular garlic got leveled up in a video game. It takes that spicy edge off the garlic and mellows it out a little bit. But it also intensifies the umami deep rich garlicky part of the garlic.

So, like roasted garlic?