• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best QB you have ever seen play football

indypatfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question was, who is the best you've ever seen....Rodgers leading us to the Super Bowl, and then to a 15-1 regular season was the best QB play I've ever seen, period.

I would put Peyton above Montana too....I'd lump Montana with Brady...did a lot with good defenses and a great supporting cast.
The best I have every seen live at a game? In his time frame, John U was above all others. The same with Montana. As long as he has the game under his control (wind.snow,fall behind early) Manning. On field leader Brady. And Rodger might (so far still a big might) pass them all. But not yet.

indypatfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be careful with the "statistically" part. Go back to 1980, and the top rated passer in the league would've bee the 9th rated passer in the league last year. Rule changes and stronger "emphasis" on certain rules have made is a TON easier to play QB today than it was 20 years ago.

The only way to compare QBs statistically is against the average like they do with ERA in baseball. I did a long study to determine the best QBs' YPA, completion percentage & passer ratings against the average. So looking at that and what they did in the playoffs, my top 4 QBs of all time are (in alphabetical order):

Peyton Manning
Joe Montana
Kurt Warner
Steve Young (whose efficiency #'s blew everyone else's away but didn't have much longevity).

I'd add Tom Brady's name, but I don't count anything the Patriots did when they were cheating. Legacy tainted.
The best stat is win/lost %. I'll take that one.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really cannot believe that Elneigh is in the discussion. Terrell Davis saved him from ending his career without a Super Bowl.

He's not even close to Marino, who never won a ring.

Yep. Also, Favre's only title was won the the year they had the #1 ranked defense in the league. He spent 18 years as a QB of a team with a defense that wasn't #1. And he never won a Super Bowl.

Elway and Favre are two of the most overrated athletes of all-time. I've glad some of the intelligent people at SportsHoopla get this.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Also, Favre's only title was won the the year they had the #1 ranked defense in the league. He spent 18 years as a QB of a team with a defense that wasn't #1. And he never won a Super Bowl.

Elway and Favre are two of the most overrated athletes of all-time. I've glad some of the intelligent people at SportsHoopla get this.

I'd take Favre over horse mouth but I agree, both overrated.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manziel is Tarkenton reborn.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:clap:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best passer...between Marino and Fouts...if I could only pick one...Marino

Best to play the position...I think Rodgers is the best blend of accurate passer, and athletic ability I have ever seen play.

Joe Montana, imo was the prefect QB for the WC system, but had great talent (not good, great) at every position in SF. Had he played his entire career in KC I don't think we're talking about Joe among the GOAT.

Okay...I've waffled...short answer...that I've seen play...Marino. Had the field awareness of Manning, the gun of Rodgers, the moxy of Brady. For a guy with the knees a 100 yr old man would turn down, he took very few sacks because of the quick release.

Am I Blue Through it All?

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the best I have seen in person are Elway, Marino, Manning, Brady and Favre. Never enjoyed Marino that much as he was usually kicking our butts. For while, so was Lombrady.

The most enjoyment I have ever had up to now has been watching Peyton. Yeah, he has had a lot of one and dones and some of them hurt pretty bad. Still, he has always been a joy to watch and turned INDY into a football town. They enjoy the support they have now primarily because of Peyton.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best passer...between Marino and Fouts...if I could only pick one...Marino

Best to play the position...I think Rodgers is the best blend of accurate passer, and athletic ability I have ever seen play.

Joe Montana, imo was the prefect QB for the WC system, but had great talent (not good, great) at every position in SF. Had he played his entire career in KC I don't think we're talking about Joe among the GOAT.

Okay...I've waffled...short answer...that I've seen play...Marino. Had the field awareness of Manning, the gun of Rodgers, the moxy of Brady. For a guy with the knees a 100 yr old man would turn down, he took very few sacks because of the quick release.

No shit. But that goes for every QB. Look at Brady last week with the scrubs he was playing with. The QB is only part of the equation. Somebody has to be on the other end to catch it...

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grandma H. Her nickname was 'Queenie.' Born in 1900 and lived a comfortable life in Honolulu until she passed in 1999...her favorite football player was Joe Montana ("...oh, that man, he's just something!"). We popped out to San Francisco in 1987 when she was visiting relatives there...took her to the Niners/Falcons game - saw Montana > Rice at their best...she glowed like a peach. Is one of my sweetest memories.

aloha Queenie! :love:

Nice.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning also had a great career at TN.

Not against the Gators...never won even one time! He doesn't like pain and was afraid.

I gotta give it to Marino. Year after painful year of hangin' in there with mediocrity. The dude was the GOAT.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit. But that goes for every QB. Look at Brady last week with the scrubs he was playing with. The QB is only part of the equation. Somebody has to be on the other end to catch it...

Hey, being a Steeler fan I know how the QB benefits from great talent around you.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe for average QBs, but great QBs? Yeah, they make the talent around them better.

Agreed. but the fact that Young came right behind Montana with excellent results (that he did not have in TB) kind of proves that SF was just a well built machine...almost any QB accurate from 15 to 20 yds would have done well...the cast was THAT could.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. but the fact that Young came right behind Montana with excellent results (that he did not have in TB) kind of proves that SF was just a well built machine...almost any QB accurate from 15 to 20 yds would have done well...the cast was THAT could.

I put Montana in the same class as Aikman. Great QBs that are well-deserved HOFer that benefitted moreso from the talent that surrounded them in an era that had no salary cap. One reason I do not consider Montana the greatest QB of all time.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put Montana in the same class as Aikman. Great QBs that are well-deserved HOFer that benefitted moreso from the talent that surrounded them in an era that had no salary cap. One reason I do not consider Montana the greatest QB of all time.

It's America. You have the right to be wrong...