• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best players who never played in SB

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Bartkowski

LeeRoy Selmon

Alex Karras

Lem Barney

Fulton Kuykendal

The guard from the Bills and Browns. I am not going to try to spell his last name. Joe DeL..........

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost all of Karras' career was PRE SuperBowl era. (Only final 3 seasons were in current format.)

HubertJubberman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here are some to add to the ones already named in the thread:

Deacon "the Secretary of Defense" Jones - HOF, 8x Pro Bowl, 5x All Pro, Rams' Fearsome Foursome, coined the word sack, arguably the greatest DL of all time, named by Sports Illustrated as the "Defensive End of the Century"

QB George Blanda - HOF
Willie Roaf - HOF, 11x Pro Bowl
Kevin Mawae - 8x Pro Bowl, 3x All Pro
Mel Gray - 4x Pro Bowl, 3x All Pro
Eric Allen - 6x Pro Bowl, 1x All Pro
Sterling Sharpe - 5x Pro Bowl, 3x All Pro

Never realized Sharpe didn't win the Super Bowl til you posted that

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen that episode many times. It's a few years old. IMO, Chris Carter was a better wide receiver than Steve Largent. That kind of surprised me.

But I agree with the show and many of you saying that Barry Sanders should be #1. He is like #1 in like 3 or 4 of these countdowns and deservably so. Best Small Guy (NFL players under 200 pounds or maybe under 6 foot, most fit both criteria so I cant remember which one it was but wasn't both), Most Elusive RB, and Best to Never Play in SB are the 3 that I can think of.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen that episode many times. It's a few years old. IMO, Chris Carter was a better wide receiver than Steve Largent. That kind of surprised me.

But I agree with the show and many of you saying that Barry Sanders should be #1. He is like #1 in like 3 or 4 of these countdowns and deservably so. Best Small Guy (NFL players under 200 pounds or maybe under 6 foot, most fit both criteria so I cant remember which one it was but wasn't both), Most Elusive RB, and Best to Never Play in SB are the 3 that I can think of.

The only knock on Carter, of course, is that all he ever did was catch touchdowns!

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one person in this thread has brought up Earl Campbell???

Surprising.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one person in this thread has brought up Earl Campbell???

Surprising.

I think this board is showing their age.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Gonzalez? Champ Bailey? They have the most Pro Bowls without a SB appearance. (Until next weekend.)
This is one of my top picks ....what a classy guy and a truly hard worker...that's a man who certainly deserved a Superbowl.....I didn't mention Champ only because he gets that well deserved glory next week.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's a reason why Largent was a first-ballot HOFer and Carter waited year after year.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a reason why Largent was a first-ballot HOFer and Carter waited year after year.

the person 'selling'/'presenting' largent to the committee was better at his job than carter's was? :noidea:

the hof process is a sham so i don't put much emphasis on who was voted in quicker.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the person 'selling'/'presenting' largent to the committee was better at his job than carter's was? :noidea:

the hof process is a sham so i don't put much emphasis on who was voted in quicker.

Largent retired as the NFL all-time leader in TDs, yards and receptions.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Largent retired as the NFL all-time leader in TDs, yards and receptions.

and yet carter exceeded his numbers by the time he retired. carter was 2nd in most categories only behind jerry rice when he retired.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and yet carter exceeded his numbers by the time he retired. carter was 2nd in most categories only behind jerry rice when he retired.

Carter's numbers are clearly better, but that seems to highlight the inherent difficulty of comparing players solely on the basis of their numbers. The league as a whole was obviously much more passing oriented during Carter's career than it was when Largent played, and some of those MN teams where Carter put up huge numbers are among the more pass happy teams in league history. No need to prop one of these guys up at the expense of the other.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carter's numbers are clearly better, but that seems to highlight the inherent difficulty of comparing players solely on the basis of their numbers. The league as a whole was obviously much more passing oriented during Carter's career than it was when Largent played, and some of those MN teams where Carter put up huge numbers are among the more pass happy teams in league history. No need to prop one of these guys up at the expense of the other.

I would also say the voting process for the HOF has changed big time. What the voters look for today is no where close to what the voters even 15 years ago looked for. It is a very subjective process in my opinion.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also say the voting process for the HOF has changed big time. What the voters look for today is no where close to what the voters even 15 years ago looked for. It is a very subjective process in my opinion.

the whole process is filled with politics, salesmanship, and (probably) money exchanging hands. I don't put much stock in the whole thing.