• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Fight You Ever Seen?

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best fight? Or best boxing match?
One of the toughest fights I have ever seen was Forest Griffin vs Stefan Bonner.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great inclusions thus far. Knowledgeable people in here.

Gatti/Ward has part of my vote. Those 3 fights were just crazy, and Gatti is one of my favorite boxers of all-time (RIP). Dude threw bombs full time and stood there and took it.

The Holyfield/Qawi fight was a great mention. Kudos. Evander was a warrior and was in a lot of great fights. He wanted to go toe to toe with anybody and simply outlast you. Evander/Bowe was some great stuff.

Sugar/Hagler was crazy good. Hagler won that fight by the way.

Hagler/Hearns may have been better. Best 3 round fight in the history of boxing.

However, the other great fighter that maybe I admire the most is Bernard Hopkins. He did it the hard way going against the 'in guys' and promoters; and simply beat everybody. His fight against Felix Trinidad in 2001 was probably the greatest boxing performance I've ever seen. He took the will and power out of a dude that was 40-0 and a guy who had whipped some of the biggest names in boxing. He made him quit and absolutely ended his career.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apologies if this has been done. What is the best fight you have ever seen?

For me, it may have been the Sugar Ray vs Hagler fight back in 1987. I was in boot camp at the time and our CC let us watch the fight, I remember being the only person rooting for Sugar Ray. It might have been because of the atmosphere but that was an excellent fight.

Watching Buster beat Tyson was pretty memorable as well. Tommy Hearns and Sugar was awesome too.

So, whatcha got?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Girls 6 and under filipino slap fighting. Yu Fuk vs Mi Ho.

giphy.gif

A Classic.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hands down Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takayama. Runner up Hagler-Hearns

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great inclusions thus far. Knowledgeable people in here.

Gatti/Ward has part of my vote. Those 3 fights were just crazy, and Gatti is one of my favorite boxers of all-time (RIP). Dude threw bombs full time and stood there and took it.

The Holyfield/Qawi fight was a great mention. Kudos. Evander was a warrior and was in a lot of great fights. He wanted to go toe to toe with anybody and simply outlast you. Evander/Bowe was some great stuff.

Sugar/Hagler was crazy good. Hagler won that fight by the way.

Hagler/Hearns may have been better. Best 3 round fight in the history of boxing.

However, the other great fighter that maybe I admire the most is Bernard Hopkins. He did it the hard way going against the 'in guys' and promoters; and simply beat everybody. His fight against Felix Trinidad in 2001 was probably the greatest boxing performance I've ever seen. He took the will and power out of a dude that was 40-0 and a guy who had whipped some of the biggest names in boxing. He made him quit and absolutely ended his career.

Not sure how to rank them but my top 3, that I saw.

Hagler/Hearns...unrelenting...basically a back yard brawl with gloves on....this was a fight.

Ray Leonard/Hearns...one of the best boxing performances by Ray Leonard, but imo he didn't do enough offensively to beat Marvin either.

Ali / Frazier...Thriller In Manila...finally settled it, but both fighters left it all in the ring

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how to rank them but my top 3, that I saw.

Hagler/Hearns...unrelenting...basically a back yard brawl with gloves on....this was a fight.

Ray Leonard/Hearns...one of the best boxing performances by Ray Leonard, but imo he didn't do enough offensively to beat Marvin either.

Ali / Frazier...Thriller In Manila...finally settled it, but both fighters left it all in the ring
interesting tidbits on that fight.

End of the 14th round Ali was asking for them to cut his gloves off (which would have ended the fight) & his corner was talking him into one more round.
On the other side Fraziers corner was wanting to stop the fight & Frazier was wanting to continue fighting. Fraziers corner stopped the fight before the 15th round.

Wonder what would have happened if Fraziers corner doesnt stop the fight.
Would Ali have quit? could have easily been a 2-1 in favor of Frazier. in their series.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting tidbits on that fight.

End of the 14th round Ali was asking for them to cut his gloves off (which would have ended the fight) & his corner was talking him into one more round.
On the other side Fraziers corner was wanting to stop the fight & Frazier was wanting to continue fighting. Fraziers corner stopped the fight before the 15th round.

Wonder what would have happened if Fraziers corner doesnt stop the fight.
Would Ali have quit? could have easily been a 2-1 in favor of Frazier. in their series.

I guess every fight takes a little bit of your life at that level, but this one for sure took years off both fighters I think....certainly the series. My family was big into the fight game, I saw many other earlier Ali fights, but too young to really remember much...the Thriller in Manilla sticks out because I was older then, plus it was at our house on our first color TV...a floor console model. The 1st in our extended fam to have such a TV at the time iirc.

Frazier was Ali's most respected opponent. He took everything Ali had in that fight and was beat to a pulp but wouldn't give up...he got plenty of damaging shots in of his own, but he was trading 2 & 3 shots for 1.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess every fight takes a little bit of your life at that level, but this one for sure took years off both fighters I think....certainly the series. My family was big into the fight game, I saw many other earlier Ali fights, but too young to really remember much...the Thriller in Manilla sticks out because I was older then, plus it was at our house on our first color TV...a floor console model. The 1st in our extended fam to have such a TV at the time iirc.

Frazier was Ali's most respected opponent. He took everything Ali had in that fight and was beat to a pulp but wouldn't give up...he got plenty of damaging shots in of his own, but he was trading 2 & 3 shots for 1.
yeah Ali was ahead on scorecards.
What a lot of people didnt know was those two were friends. There were mad respect between them.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thriller in manila?

agreed.

View attachment 227173

I'll go with this as well. I watched roughly the last half of it again the other day. Ali said that he didn't know if he could have answered the bell for round #15 had Frazier's corner not thrown in the towel. What a battle.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hagler-Hearns.

Lasted three rounds. The guy who won was a fucking bloody mess.

They stood there and beat the shit out of each other.

None of that Mayweather running around the ring for eight rounds bullshit.

Yeah that one was nuts. 3 rounds of sheer brutality.