• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best coaches of the College Football Playoff era (so far)...

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, and UCF barely won in a game that really held no meaning to Auburn. Call it an excuse, but I'm not an Auburn fan by any means and even I could see from watching that game that they simply weren't playing their best. It was just ugly. OU/OSU, meanwhile, was a primetime game with MAJOR playoff implications, and it was in Columbus at night. OU played an amazing game and won comfortably. That is significantly more impressive.

There is just a difference of opinion. You believe Auburn didn't try to win, I have 0 evidence of that.
I am more impressed that UCF faced major talent fap and won. You think primetime trumps things like talent fap.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is just a difference of opinion. You believe Auburn didn't try to win, I have 0 evidence of that.
I am more impressed that UCF faced major talent fap and won. You think primetime trumps things like talent fap.
LOL talent fap...

I watched the game and it was clear that Auburn wasn't treating it like a major game. They really had nothing to gain from beating them, maybe a bump up the polls a couple spots. UCF, however, had EVERYTHING to gain by winning, and they barely did that. It's a hell of a lot easier to get up for 1 game out of 14 against a real team than go through a grind in a real conference while facing an elite team OOC to boot. OSU was a better team than Auburn, and OU beat them much more convincingly on the road.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL talent fap...

I watched the game and it was clear that Auburn wasn't treating it like a major game. They really had nothing to gain from beating them, maybe a bump up the polls a couple spots. UCF, however, had EVERYTHING to gain by winning, and they barely did that. It's a hell of a lot easier to get up for 1 game out of 14 against a real team than go through a grind in a real conference while facing an elite team OOC to boot. OSU was a better team than Auburn, and OU beat them much more convincingly on the road.

I just read that as a bunch of BS. I have never played a game where kids didn't care if they won or not. They may take opponents lightly and not prepare properly, but when the ball is kicked off they absolutely care about the results. This "they did care" line is the biggest BS ever.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. OSU and Auburn are comparable.

2. No it doesn't. Getting jobs can come down to how you interview. Sometimes people are happy where they coach. A guy like Snyder is a great coach, just because he didn't want to Coach at A blue blood doesn't take anything away from him. Bama has had plenty of terrible coaches. Sometimes coaching and teaching are the driving factors, not ease of winning a title to remain at A job

That Bama has had plenty of terrible coaches only goes to highlight the need for the coach having done something. Just being in a position for success does not mean it's guaranteed and it still takes a great coach to pull it off at any school.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that as a bunch of BS. I have never played a game where kids didn't care if they won or not. They may take opponents lightly and not prepare properly, but when the ball is kicked off they absolutely care about the results. This "they did care" line is the biggest BS ever.

The kids all want to win when at the game. It's the prep time leading up to the game where they don't give a shit and when game time comes around it's too late.

If you can't understand that, then I don't know what to tell you.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did Franklin do at Vandy? He went 2-6, 5-3, and 4-4 in a weak as shit division. He just ate up all the cupcakes and had one decent win in three years.

Which is about all Scott Frost would have done at a school like Vandy - and there is a reason why you are ignoring OOC games.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kids all want to win when at the game. It's the prep time leading up to the game where they don't give a shit and when game time comes around it's too late.

If you can't understand that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Do just speak without reading? It's almost as if I mentioned prep time.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, it's not that surprising in this day and age. Saying they took UCF lightly and didn't prepare properly is a pretty good way to put it. Either way, I don't know anyone who actually believes Auburn played to it's full potential against UCF, however I do think that was UCF's best.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is about all Scott Frost would have done at a school like Vandy - and there is a reason why you are ignoring OOC games.
Wake x3
UMass x2
Austin Peay
UAB
Houston
Northwestern
Presbyterian
NC State
Elon
UConn
Army
Cincinnati
Which one of those wins should we be impressed by?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wake x3
UMass x2
Austin Peay
UAB
Houston
Northwestern
Presbyterian
NC State
Elon
UConn
Army
Cincinnati
Which one of those wins should we be impressed by?

Now do UCF's schedule this year.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now do UCF's schedule this year.
You give no credit to Frost but you give credit to Franklin for doing literally nothing at Vandy. Sounds like you give bonus points to SEC schools.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You give no credit to Frost but you give credit to Franklin for doing literally nothing at Vandy. Sounds like you give bonus points to SEC schools.

Umm, I said the 2 were comparable and I would say it's more difficult to do what he did at Vandy. I'm not trying to claim Franklin is one of the best coaches because of it.

I give "bonus" points to them for playing a tougher schedule. As would be the case at any P5 school. But here's one for recent history - Dan Mullen.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm, I said the 2 were comparable and I would say it's more difficult to do what he did at Vandy. I'm not trying to claim Franklin is one of the best coaches because of it.

I give "bonus" points to them for playing a tougher schedule. As would be the case at any P5 school. But here's one for recent history - Dan Mullen.
He averaged 8-5. A lot of teams would go 11-1 or 12-0 with the schedule. Looks like he did a pretty shitty job there. Am I right? Why would it be more difficult at Vandy? That division is a joke. If he was a decent coach he would be going 11-1. I mean we are just supposed to ignore the level of talent he is coaching with vs what he is playing right?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He averaged 8-5. A lot of teams would go 11-1 or 12-0 with the schedule. Looks like he did a pretty shitty job there. Am I right? Why would it be more difficult at Vandy? That division is a joke. If he was a decent coach he would be going 11-1. I mean we are just supposed to ignore the level of talent he is coaching with vs what he is playing right?

The SEC east may be bad compared to the west, but it's not G5 bad. They were guarenteed 2 losses every year in Florida and Georgia. Plus whatever 2 SEC West teams they played. So 4 losses by default every year.

You do understand "Vandy" right?

And no, I don't care talent level - you guys do. I am playing that stupid game. If you want to go back to my standards, then none of these coaches are being talked about.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC east may be bad compared to the west, but it's not G5 bad. They were guarenteed 2 losses every year in Florida and Georgia. Plus whatever 2 SEC West teams they played. So 4 losses by default every year.

You do understand "Vandy" right?

And no, I don't care talent level - you guys do. I am playing that stupid game. If you want to go back to my standards, then none of these coaches are being talked about.
Who cares about “Vandy”. Why should they instantly be considered a loser since you don’t care about talent levels? That is just a lame ass excuse you are using to try and prove your “logic”. Ignore talent levels then “Vandy” isn’t a real thing.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares about “Vandy”. Why should they instantly be considered a loser since you don’t care about talent levels? That is just a lame ass excuse you are using to try and prove your “logic”. Ignore talent levels then “Vandy” isn’t a real thing.

Oh, so you guys are the only ones allowed to take talent into account to play this stupid game.

Got it.

They all suck and none of them deserve to be mentioned. Happy now?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, so you guys are the only ones allowed to take talent into account to play this stupid game.

Got it.

Sorry I used your “logic” against you. We can only talk about talent levels when talking about how great SEC coaches are.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Got it.

I'll give you the fact that Saban is #1 on the best coaches list. My reason: Alabama does not ever play a bad game(very seldom at least) even when they lose. They don't take games off.

However, that doesn't mean that other coaches can be dismissed from the list like they have accomplished nothing.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I used your “logic” against you. We can only talk about talent levels when talking about how great SEC coaches are.

Just fucking pick one or the other. I say talent levels shouldn't matter, good coaches get results and make it to teams that are capable of it and for multiple pages I'm told it does matter that I need to take talent levels into account.

So I say fuck it, and start using that logic to mention other coaches. And then your dipass comes in and starts talking about how I need to not take talent levels into account because of what I said earlier.

So just fucking pick one.