• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best American Band All Time?

Best American Band All Time?

• The Doors

• The Eagles

• CCR

• Van Halen

• Aerosmith

• Lynyrd Skynyrd

• The Cars

• Metallica

• Chicago

• Queensryche

• Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

• Other

• The Allman Brothers

• Boston

• Guns N' Roses

• KISS

• ZZ Top

• The Beach Boys

• Journey

• Ramones

• Styx

• Nirvana

• The Greatful Dead

• REO Speedwagon

• RHCP

• Soundgarden

• Pearl Jam

Results are only viewable after voting.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiss? Really as an option? I thought this was the "BEST" American Band

Well, now that I think about it....

America is nothing if not great at advertising/promoting a sub-standard product into something that people not only want, but believe is actually good

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now that I think about it....

America is nothing if not great at advertising/promoting a sub-standard product into something that people not only want, but believe is actually good

Leave Texas BBQ out of it. Beef, really???

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Styx was the BEST live performance in my era.
Boston 1st album was GREAT. Never saw them live.
ELO anyone? Backup band to (………..) you will know if you were there.

Boston was pretty bland when I saw them live. As far as american bands go live, two of the ones who were the best live, even though I'm not a huge fan of one and can't stand the other, were Motley Crue and Winger. I think Winger's songs suck but they were insane as far as being able to go out there and play the instruments they're supposed to be able to play. I can't stand bands that have these highly engineered albums and then they try to go out and perform the songs live and can barely do it.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ooh, careful now...you might be out on a limb here

I was going in a different direction before I noticed this wasn't in the PF. I had to say something and that was all I had. :suds:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't stand bands that have these highly engineered albums and then they try to go out and perform the songs live and can barely do it.

I've never really been a big concert goer, partially for this reason. I get used to the studio version of a song, and hearing it live just sounds awful sometimes.

And as you say, some bands were so innovative in the studio, it was nearly impossible to re-create that sound live, without tripling the size of the on-stage band.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going in a different direction before I noticed this wasn't in the PF. I had to say something and that was all I had. :suds:

Somebody will be along in a few minutes to call you a "commie"

:suds:

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One could say Nirvana and Cobain played a major role to Grohls career. As one can say the Melvins heavily influenced Cobain. Nirvana was one of the bands that influenced the music we have today. Including the Foo Fighters.

Fwiw my vote in this poll is The Doors
Are we talking bands that makes the best music though? I'd put foo fighters ahead of nirvana for that any day.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Influential? Yes. Best? Not even as good as Foo Fighters.

Disagree. The Foo Fighters are generic and boring. Even they must think so because half their set now is covers. I say that as someone who really wants to, and has tried to like them, but it’s just not possible.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those FN days were forgettable. You catch any Dead & Co shows the last few years?

Many of those convos were forgettable, but this particular one sticks in my head because I dropped a pretty good joke on you. The gist:

Slinky: I saw Sting open up for the Grateful Dead in 1993.
ChiSox: Jesus, you old bastard. I was eight years old in '93.
Slinky: I know. Don't you remember me? I was the guy in the van with the candy.

Hahaha. Sick fucking joke. I still crack up about that one, but my age (and probably fatherhood) makes me cringe way more than I ever would have back then.

I have not gone to any Dead & Co shows. I was lucky enough to see about seven or eight shows with Jerry at the helm and they really were pretty amazing experiences. I just feel like I want to keep those memories and experiences with the Grateful Dead they way they are. Nothing against anybody that does, and I have heard and enjoyed some songs, but I'm just not going to go.

However, last year (I think), they came to a local amphitheater and I checked ticket prices. You could get a VIP ticket, which included a hologram, and a seat in the first ten rows for $700+ dollars. I love the Grateful Dead, but Phil Lesh would have to personally usher me to my seat while Bobby Weir gave me a handjob (NO eye contact) for me to fork that over to see them.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many of those convos were forgettable, but this particular one sticks in my head because I dropped a pretty good joke on you. The gist:

Slinky: I saw Sting open up for the Grateful Dead in 1993.
ChiSox: Jesus, you old bastard. I was eight years old in '93.
Slinky: I know. Don't you remember me? I was the guy in the van with the candy.

Hahaha. Sick fucking joke. I still crack up about that one, but my age (and probably fatherhood) makes me cringe way more than I ever would have back then.

I have not gone to any Dead & Co shows. I was lucky enough to see about seven or eight shows with Jerry at the helm and they really were pretty amazing experiences. I just feel like I want to keep those memories and experiences with the Grateful Dead they way they are. Nothing against anybody that does, and I have heard and enjoyed some songs, but I'm just not going to go.

However, last year (I think), they came to a local amphitheater and I checked ticket prices. You could get a VIP ticket, which included a hologram, and a seat in the first ten rows for $700+ dollars. I love the Grateful Dead, but Phil Lesh would have to personally usher me to my seat while Bobby Weir gave me a handjob (NO eye contact) for me to fork that over to see them.
John Mayer would probably give you the hj for free.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we talking bands that makes the best music though? I'd put foo fighters ahead of nirvana for that any day.
I’m looking big picture. Overall body of work, impact bands had on music , eras, other artists, body of work....

I don’t mind the Foo Fighters but track for track. I’ll take Nirvana every time.On top of their popular albums that you can listen to from start to finish. Nirvana has had a library several previously unreleased tracks. That one could very easily say are better than several albums as a whole. Kurt was a genius on several levels Grohl has said it himself.