• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Berube

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, even with the change in coaching to Berube this team has had its ups and downs. Fortunately, a few more ups than downs, especially of late. During his time as coach, Berube has had his fair share of both praise and criticism leveled at him on this site. Going into the Olympic break, how would you rate his overall performance? What areas does he still need to improve. What do you think he needs to do to remain as coach next year or, phrased differently, what do you think would need to happen the rest of the way for the Flyers to let him go?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, even with the change in coaching to Berube this team has had its ups and downs. Fortunately, a few more ups than downs, especially of late. During his time as coach, Berube has had his fair share of both praise and criticism leveled at him on this site. Going into the Olympic break, how would you rate his overall performance? What areas does he still need to improve. What do you think he needs to do to remain as coach next year or, phrased differently, what do you think would need to happen the rest of the way for the Flyers to let him go?

I could hand out some praise for turning this team around and doing more hustling after the puck than we did the last 2 years. We are still inconsistant at getting to the puck when we lose it but far less than we had been under Lavy.
I think he could use a little more emotion behind the bench and for the love of god learn when to call a timeout.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could hand out some praise for turning this team around and doing more hustling after the puck than we did the last 2 years. We are still inconsistant at getting to the puck when we lose it but far less than we had been under Lavy.
I think he could use a little more emotion behind the bench and for the love of god learn when to call a timeout.

I also dont like the way he chooses to play goalies otherwise i like his as the coach and is way better than Lavy even though i liked lavy.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pros:
His no-nonsense attitude has worn onto the players, they're taking things more seriously
He has them in much better shape now, with the style they're playing
He's a one-game-at-a-time type of coach and this team needs it
Solid with the forward lines - he put guys like Michael Raffl on top line and sparked them

Cons:
The usage of his goalies - Ray Emery got some weird starts on the road against great teams and it didn't give the team a great chance to win
Usage of Gus/Mesz has been iffy - I would love to see both in the lineup, with Nicklas Grossmann out

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like what Berube seems to have done. i'd give him a solid B.

i think it's a fair comparison to compare this flyers team to a wild horse that you're trying to break. you can see when they play how berube wants them to, solid defensively, up on their skates, heavy puck support, they play extremely good hockey. if you look at the last coupe weeks, and how they played in november, they can be a very good team, borderline cup contender. in their last 6 games, they've allowed 9 goals, 5 of which to were the NHL's best team in anaheim. calgary is the only team that won't make the playoffs among those 6 teams. for how much is made about their weaknesses defensively, if they play right, they can be damn good defensively. i credit berube with that. however, they still slip in to bad habits that developed under laviolette, which IMO, is when things go off the rails like they did in january. goaltending certainly has something to do with that, not discounting that. mase and emery have both had a couple games that they had to be erasers.

top 10 in both PP and PK, very solid.

i've seen the goalie choice thing come up a lot, but for one, i don't think he's done a bad job. emery usually starts in one of the back to back games, but other than that he rides mase for the most part. emery started against calgary which i thought was a little odd, but obviously he knows more than i do because emery played fantastic.

other personnel things that are questioned.. mesz coming in for gus.. i didn't really like that call either, but again, it worked out. mesz was one of our best dmen against the flames.

i never like when jay rosehill plays. ever. but he hasn't played since raffl, hall, and rinaldo have been the 4th line, maybe that will be a trend that continues.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like what Berube seems to have done. i'd give him a solid B.

i think it's a fair comparison to compare this flyers team to a wild horse that you're trying to break. you can see when they play how berube wants them to, solid defensively, up on their skates, heavy puck support, they play extremely good hockey. if you look at the last coupe weeks, and how they played in november, they can be a very good team, borderline cup contender. in their last 6 games, they've allowed 9 goals, 5 of which to were the NHL's best team in anaheim. calgary is the only team that won't make the playoffs among those 6 teams. for how much is made about their weaknesses defensively, if they play right, they can be damn good defensively. i credit berube with that. however, they still slip in to bad habits that developed under laviolette, which IMO, is when things go off the rails like they did in january. goaltending certainly has something to do with that, not discounting that. mase and emery have both had a couple games that they had to be erasers.

top 10 in both PP and PK, very solid.

i've seen the goalie choice thing come up a lot, but for one, i don't think he's done a bad job. emery usually starts in one of the back to back games, but other than that he rides mase for the most part. emery started against calgary which i thought was a little odd, but obviously he knows more than i do because emery played fantastic.

other personnel things that are questioned.. mesz coming in for gus.. i didn't really like that call either, but again, it worked out. mesz was one of our best dmen against the flames.

i never like when jay rosehill plays. ever. but he hasn't played since raffl, hall, and rinaldo have been the 4th line, maybe that will be a trend that continues.

They still take some penalties and that's something they need to rectify, but the PK's been pretty good

Michael Raffl's emergence will make it extremely difficult to bench him or anyone else for Jay Rosehill - I think him playing on that 4th line makes a huge difference and I think he's one of the x-factors on this team - he can play literally anywhere in the lineup

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still take some penalties and that's something they need to rectify, but the PK's been pretty good

Michael Raffl's emergence will make it extremely difficult to bench him or anyone else for Jay Rosehill - I think him playing on that 4th line makes a huge difference and I think he's one of the x-factors on this team - he can play literally anywhere in the lineup

How long before teams start gooning it up against the Flyers? That problem is what led them to acquire Rosehill in the first place.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long before teams start gooning it up against the Flyers? That problem is what led them to acquire Rosehill in the first place.

Im not sure by i dont think teams will try this against us with guys like Simmonds Hartnell Rinaldo and Luke schenn. The only thing that stinks about this strategy is all those guys are very important to our team. I like what Rosehill brings to our team and i could remember on at least one occasion his fight pumped us up and we won the game but the truth is with those other guys out there we really dont need him vs most teams.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

the funniest thing about this whole thing is that if you talk to any fan in another city they still think the flyers goon it up, when in fact we havent been a team that does any of that stuff in more than 5 years.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the funniest thing about this whole thing is that if you talk to any fan in another city they still think the flyers goon it up, when in fact we havent been a team that does any of that stuff in more than 5 years.

Everyone know fans in other cities have no clue about the game. I have first hand experience dealing with Rags fans all the time and they are idiots. :lol:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they want to goon it up, then great, the Flyers will take plenty of power plays and score on them - Flyers are a very good team on the PP so if other teams want to do that then fine with me

And it's not like the Flyers already don't have guys who can drop the gloves - Simmer, Harts, Brayden Schenn, Zac Rinaldo and Luke Schenn can drop the gloves - don't need Jay Rosehill for any of that

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want to goon it up, then great, the Flyers will take plenty of power plays and score on them - Flyers are a very good team on the PP so if other teams want to do that then fine with me

And it's not like the Flyers already don't have guys who can drop the gloves - Simmer, Harts, Brayden Schenn, Zac Rinaldo and Luke Schenn can drop the gloves - don't need Jay Rosehill for any of that

Any legit heavyweight would destroy every one of those guys. Guys like Rosehill aren't appreciated until you don't have them. But, the Flyers do, so I'm fine with sitting him until he's needed - I'm just suggesting he WILL eventually be needed.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any legit heavyweight would destroy every one of those guys. Guys like Rosehill aren't appreciated until you don't have them. But, the Flyers do, so I'm fine with sitting him until he's needed - I'm just suggesting he WILL eventually be needed.

JB i would put Simmonds Rinaldo and Luke Schenn up against any heavyweight in the league to stand up for ourselves. They may not win but would definately not get destroyed. The problem with that is taking off our better players off to fight a scrub.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You guys have to realize that at some point, guys like him are going to be weeded out - you don't need them, it wastes a roster spot and it makes the fourth line a lot worse - the lineup with Michael Raffl on the 4th line is so much better, there's no denying that - so why do they need Jay Rosehill? They don't need him, people need to get that out of their heads - you're going to be facing a lot of playoff teams the rest of the way, do you think they really want to goon it up and cost their team when every point is important? If they do, they're absolutely dumb - they don't need Jay Rosehill and I could care less about him

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have to realize that at some point, guys like him are going to be weeded out - you don't need them, it wastes a roster spot and it makes the fourth line a lot worse - the lineup with Michael Raffl on the 4th line is so much better, there's no denying that - so why do they need Jay Rosehill? They don't need him, people need to get that out of their heads - you're going to be facing a lot of playoff teams the rest of the way, do you think they really want to goon it up and cost their team when every point is important? If they do, they're absolutely dumb - they don't need Jay Rosehill and I could care less about him

I'll second that. The days of the enforcer on CONTENDERS is dead in my opinion. It is a waste of a roster spot.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only chance Jay Rosehill gets back in the lineup is if there is any injury - they're not benching ANYBODY to put him back in the lineup, there would be no defending benching anyone for him

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree w/ those saying rosehill is a waste of a roster spot. i also agree with the sentiment that most of the flyers usual players would get rocked by a 'heavyweight'. rinaldo especially, he's 5'10. going up against a 6'7 monster like john scott, rinaldo would get pummeled.

the thing is.. this isn't the 70s. you can't just jump someone and start beating on them. it's a major penalty and probably a lengthy suspension. it happens maybe once a season. having jay rosehill in your lineup just in case, is a waste. if rinaldo, simmonds, hartnell, or whoever doesn't want to fight john scott, then don't fight john scott.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll agree to disagree. I agree he shouldn't be playing regularly, but to call him a waste of a roster spot? Really? Does no one else remember the Flyers getting pushed around big time last year before they got Rosehill? There's a reason Homer went out and got him. Unless, of course, you want to say that Homer is an idiot, in which case you win the argument and I have no further response....:suds:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll agree to disagree. I agree he shouldn't be playing regularly, but to call him a waste of a roster spot? Really? Does no one else remember the Flyers getting pushed around big time last year before they got Rosehill? There's a reason Homer went out and got him. Unless, of course, you want to say that Homer is an idiot, in which case you win the argument and I have no further response....:suds:

we didn't get pushed around because of a lack of heavy weight though.. it was hard, physical forechecking that resulted in turnovers. when the forwards come back and support, and not every dman is left handed, the passes come out quicker and you can't be pushed around.

maybe you can remember something, but i cant remember the last time i noticed an opponent's heavyweight giving the flyers grief.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like tough guys but they better be able to skate and contribute if not see ya as they can get taken advantage of by another team and become a weakness. Rosehill isn't bad as he can kind of skate but I like what Philly did against the flames....they started their 4th line so Berube put out G's line the flames quickly changed due to the mismatch and that set the tone for the game.

It is too bad that they lost Sestito though as he could play hockey and punch the shit out of anyone crossing the line. Either way if someone takes liberties with one of your star players you can send Rinaldo after their star he's tough enough to take out teeth so it kind of makes the heavyweight a little useless these days.