• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bennett no Discount

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Bennett and what he brings to our team. His personality, his versatility and his production on the field. Stats don't tell the whole story of his impact on the team this year. The 8.5 sacks look nice but not great but how many qb pressures did he have that forced bad throws or interceptions? How many times did he help Avril get a sack?

With that being said though...Bennett isn't a player that is irreplaceable. Some people say the bad thing about winning a Superbowl is teams will look to cherry pick your players. But guess what...one of the good things that come along with winning a Superbowl is free agents will want to come to your team for a chance at getting a ring.

Want an example? Need no look further than Avril and Mr Bennett himself

My point is...while Bennett is extremely valuable to our defense...is he worth the 8-9 mil a year that he might command? Or are we better off giving a veteran defensive end a 1-2 year deal at 3-5 mil and reserving that cap to resign the corner stone guys of our franchise. Let's say for example a Julius Peppers gets cut or some vet d-end that is capable of giving us 7-8 sacks (maybe not the same versatility and definitely not the same personality) is willing to sign a 1 year deal for 4-5 mil.

We'll get maybe 85-90 % of the production Bennett would have given us, but we save money.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say Seattle values him at 7.5 Million per year for 2 years. He is getting a 50% raise if he accepts.
He gets similar offers from 3 other clubs, but one club, a lousy club like the Jags, blows his doors off with a 2-18million offer.

If Bennett accepted the Hawks offer, I would NOT consider this a 'discount'. He is just taking a lesser deal from a better situation, but is that a "Discount" or simply a smart move?

A discount is not a reduction in pay, just taking an offer that is less than another, but still fair.
That's how I see it.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say Seattle values him at 7.5 Million per year for 2 years. He is getting a 50% raise if he accepts.
He gets similar offers from 3 other clubs, but one club, a lousy club like the Jags, blows his doors off with a 2-18million offer.

If Bennett accepted the Hawks offer, I would NOT consider this a 'discount'. He is just taking a lesser deal from a better situation, but is that a "Discount" or simply a smart move?

A discount is not a reduction in pay, just taking an offer that is less than another, but still fair.
That's how I see it.

Gus Bradley how could you!!!!

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's how I see it.

I really don't think he takes the Seahawks deal at that point. He knows all too well how easily an injury can turn the tide of a football career and he really got exactly what he wanted out of playing on a 1 year deal for us. He stayed healthy the entire year, put up outstanding production and numbers, and won a title which now makes him a super bowl champion DE. He is going to grab whatever long term deal he can get and isn't going to apologize for it and that's exactly what he should do. It's easy as fans of our team to hope that everyone wants to 'keep the band together', but this is a business. The teams have no problems dumping your contract and moving on even if you are doing well like for cap reasons. The players must go find what works for them and do what they need to to protect their family's future.

I'm not upset he said it. I won't be upset when he chooses another team for more money. I also would be happy if they found a way to get him to stay, but I doubt this is going to happen.

I also believe it is likely that Tate is gone too. And while people will undoubtedly blame him for saying he would take a discount to stay here and then leaves, I still say he must do what is right for his future.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but I think the word "Discount" is overplayed.

Bennett played on a 1 year contract to get this next deal and he deserves it. But Seattle will be realistic.
They will NOT overpay him, and if Bennett takes another teams OVERoffer, then so be it, I think Seattle will offer him what he is worth to Seattle, and when this IS less, and he considers it as Seattle asking for a discount, then he will be replaced with another, cheaper player.

He and Tate will both get huge raises. I just don't want to hear them say Seattle tried to "Lowball" them with their discount offer.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett is awesome, but the FO has proved that they can keep the team going successfully in other fashions whether through the draft or plugging in the pieces via cheap Free Agents with players that will excel in PC's system. I say let him walk and let the next man step up. Mayowa will probably be ready with a year under his belt now. Bennett deserves his payday, but not with Seattle since they have to use that money elsewhere. I'm willing to bet the rest of the NFC West is praying Seattle re-signs him and I don't blame them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Met Tate last week...I'll say this...he's a decent guy...definitely not as nice as Earl and Kam (who I also met that night post parade)

Anyways...as all the Seahawk players were exiting the club...a fan asked Tate for his autograph and Tate waved him off and walked away...the fan inexplicably yells out "that's why you're gonna get signed with another team"

Tate goes "still gettin paid tho"

I thought it was a funny and appropriate response to a "fan" heckling at him. However, I agree with some that Tate may be gone as well.

And to be honest...it doesn't really bother me that much. Tate "says" he will give us the hometown discount, but when a team with a higher powered passing offense (better stats for him) offers him more money...he's going to bite and leave

I hope I'm wrong and I hope he comes back at the right price...but with Percy, Baldwin and Kearse with Lockette and maybe a cheap free agent wr or mid round draft pick...I don't think it's going to crush our team to lose Tate at all

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now let me throw this out there to everyone what do you think is the possibility that he wont play as hard because we gave him that deal? he was playing on a one year deal knowing that this is his only chance to play on a big stage and showcase what he can do this season, he has his ring, he has his money whats not to say his fight wont be the same after the payday? I think drafting a rookie looking to make a name for himself or another vet looking for a ring one a one year deal could be an option...

my opinion as long as he doesnt sign with the 49ers or any NFC West team the damage wont be as bad with him leaving. If he goes to chicago thats great for him and us

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that Bennett is the most underrated player on our roster and despite not putting up eye popping stats, he was a tremendous force on our defense and was a big reason for us taking a step forward and winning a Superbowl.

He generated a pass rush from outside and from the interior, and played the run extremely well, being able to do those 3 things well is not common in the NFL. He is not flashy, but he is extremely versatile and I hope to see him back.

I believe that Bennett is worth market value and I don't blame him for not wanting to take a discount. Would any of you take a pay cut to stay at your job? I believe that if the Seahawks match any other offer Bennett receives, he would take it.

One of the few downsides of winning a Superbowl though is it raises the price for every one of your free agents, Bennett included. Due to the Seahawks winning the Superbowl, he will likely be more expensive than he would have otherwise been. Will be interesting to see how his market plays out.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Met Tate last week...I'll say this...he's a decent guy...definitely not as nice as Earl and Kam (who I also met that night post parade)

Anyways...as all the Seahawk players were exiting the club...a fan asked Tate for his autograph and Tate waved him off and walked away...the fan inexplicably yells out "that's why you're gonna get signed with another team"

Tate goes "still gettin paid tho"

I thought it was a funny and appropriate response to a "fan" heckling at him. However, I agree with some that Tate may be gone as well.

And to be honest...it doesn't really bother me that much. Tate "says" he will give us the hometown discount, but when a team with a higher powered passing offense (better stats for him) offers him more money...he's going to bite and leave

I hope I'm wrong and I hope he comes back at the right price...but with Percy, Baldwin and Kearse with Lockette and maybe a cheap free agent wr or mid round draft pick...I don't think it's going to crush our team to lose Tate at all

What club was that at? Just curious.

I've said before that I don't think Tate will be worth market value and can easily be replaced. He has shown improvement over his time in Seattle, but still has his flaws and is not indispensable. I'd like to have him back, but not at what his going rate will likely be. I assume that Tate will get something around 4-5 years at around $5m per. For me it is not the length, but that I don't think that Tate is worth $5m of cap space.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now let me throw this out there to everyone what do you think is the possibility that he wont play as hard because we gave him that deal? he was playing on a one year deal knowing that this is his only chance to play on a big stage and showcase what he can do this season, he has his ring, he has his money whats not to say his fight wont be the same after the payday? I think drafting a rookie looking to make a name for himself or another vet looking for a ring one a one year deal could be an option...

my opinion as long as he doesnt sign with the 49ers or any NFC West team the damage wont be as bad with him leaving. If he goes to chicago thats great for him and us

NFL Star Michael Bennett -- Shamefully Abandons Boxer Pup | TMZ.com

If this is any reflection on his character, there is warrant for concern. I always question the "Will he play as hard after getting the contract?" argument because they obviously get $X guaranteed, but if they play hard they can collect on the non-guaranteed money later on.

It is obviously a concern you could apply to anyone getting a big contract.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame him for not wanting to take a discount. Would any of you take a pay cut to stay at your job? I believe that if the Seahawks match any other offer Bennett receives, he would take it.

Bennett will not take a pay cut. FACT. < 5 million this year, 7.5 million next year, 50 % increase.
How many of US get a 50% increase in salary?

IMO, a 50% increase at your current place versus a (let's say 70%+) increase at another location and a shitty place of employment, is in NO WAY, "taking a discount". It is called making a smart decision.

If it is about winning, (and a shitload of money) versus losing (and a shitload+ of money) , then I choose winning. And I would NOT say I took a discount, I would consider it an opportunity. But, to each his own, let's see where Bennett stands.

Fuck, don't tell me it's about feeding your family, HOW many of the people ever earn $8-$10 million in a LIFETIME. Let alone a single year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett will not take a pay cut. FACT. < 5 million this year, 7.5 million next year, 50 % increase.
How many of US get a 50% increase in salary?

IMO, a 50% increase at your current place versus a (let's say 70%+) increase at another location and a shitty place of employment, is in NO WAY, "taking a discount". It is called making a smart decision.

If it is about winning, (and a shitload of money) versus losing (and a shitload+ of money) , then I choose winning. And I would NOT say I took a discount, I would consider it an opportunity. But, to each his own, let's see where Bennett stands.

Fuck, don't tell me it's about feeding your family, HOW many of the people ever earn $8-$10 million in a LIFETIME. Let alone a single year.

Excuse my use of the phrase "pay cut", that was an inaccurate way of articulating what I was trying to express.

I meant pay cut in the sense that (using your numbers) if the Seahawks are offering him a 50% raise ($5m to $7.5m) at lets say 3 years. So the Seahawks offer him 3 years $22.5m. Then let us say the Bears come around and offer Bennett 4 years $34m (8.5m per).

Bennett could win with the Bears, be with his brother and make a ton more money. To us mortals a $12m difference may not seem like much when you're talking about going from 20m to 30m, but to him it is.

I agree with what you're saying, don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to show that to Bennett perhaps staying in Seattle is not worth the millions of dollars he could get from another team. Plus, he could be signed by a winner like Chicago.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of points:

I am assuming that Bennett did play more than 50% of the snaps. My guess is that it was more like 75% of the snaps. Like I stated: He was able to play in any of the packages and be both good in run support and excellent in pressuring the passer. I could be wrong but I think that Mebane is the only other guy on the DL that played regularly in normal, rushing, and passing sets.

I believe that he was much more valuable than some people here think and I certainly believe that he should be a much higher priority than Tate.

I know that it is highly unlikely but the Seahawks could franchise tag him. It could be done at least temporarily to keep the contract negotiatons exclusive and then it can be removed by a certain date (not sure what the dates are for this time frame). Of course the downside is that it tends to piss the players off when you do this.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think golden tate said it best when talking about a discount to stay in seattle

"I could go test the free agent market and get paid more to go to a team thats not as good as us but the idea of playing somewhere where the fans dont care much for you, the seats in the stadium are half empty,where the team wins like 1 or 2 games a month, where the main goal is just to make the playoffs isnt that exciting."

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think golden tate said it best when talking about a discount to stay in seattle

"I could go test the free agent market and get paid more to go to a team thats not as good as us but the idea of playing somewhere where the fans dont care much for you, the seats in the stadium are half empty,where the team wins like 1 or 2 games a month, where the main goal is just to make the playoffs isnt that exciting."

This is where every player can differ. Some realize that they have a short window of a career to make as much as they can so that they can hopefully be set for life for them and their family. Others care a little more about the environment that they are in above the money and are willing to take a little less to stay in a good environment. You have to remember for some of these guys they are not just supporting themselves or wife and children. Some of them are supporting parents, cousins, friends, and many others as many of these guys came from poor neighborhoods and have many people that depend on them. So for me I don't fault any player whatever way they decide to go with their decision. I have been in jobs that I hate but get paid more and I have been in jobs that I love but don't make a whole lot. Both have their advantages.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind Bennett was talking about building a legacy in Seattle recently. It's not like he's made up his mind and is leaving for sure.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC, Pete made mention that he has been searching for a player like Bennett since he got here. Something about being able to collapse the pocket from a DT position.
I don't blame him at all for signing a contract that is in his best interest. It really gets down to cap management on whether we sign him or someone else does.
If he leaves, I ask that Hawk fans show class and realize we do not own him, came here as a FA, and earned his raise. Best of luck, just in case as long as he doesn't sign in the NFCW.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett will get paid and Seattle will be the team playing.

Bennett is the entire reason the defense went from very good to elite this year. A ton of QB pressures came from him and he's a certain mold that can play DT in passing downs.

He'll be a Seahawk, and he's the most valuable lineman on the team.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What club was that at? Just curious.

I've said before that I don't think Tate will be worth market value and can easily be replaced. He has shown improvement over his time in Seattle, but still has his flaws and is not indispensable. I'd like to have him back, but not at what his going rate will likely be. I assume that Tate will get something around 4-5 years at around $5m per. For me it is not the length, but that I don't think that Tate is worth $5m of cap space.

Tia Lous