• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals vs. Steelers

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, run a pass play, he can scan the field, if he doesn't like what he sees he throws it out of bounds andy dalton style. at least get 3 points

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid team win today (hate this cliche). Defense was stout. Offense was more creative. Granted the Steelers were wounded coming in.

My concern is once again Zac Taylor and his low testosterone play calling late in games.

Last three drives:

3 plays 7 yards punt
3 plays 6 yards punt
3 plays 4 yards punt

This team needs to figure out how to close games out on offense. They got a little lucky Big Ben sucks and the Steelers o line is worse than ours.

I'm only cutting him slack here because I don't think the Steelers were going to score without a turnover. It's weird seeing that team have such difficulties up front - Makes me think about how lucky Ben has been to play most of his career with dominant offensive lines.

But yes, there will be tight games in the 4th and Zac's record in one-score games is not impressive. Something to work on.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One first down on one of their final series, Burrow threw a pass that got tipped and almost picked off, so I think that spooked everyone, and rightfully so, in my opinion.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One first down on one of their final series, Burrow threw a pass that got tipped and almost picked off, so I think that spooked everyone, and rightfully so, in my opinion.
Yeah, it's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If the Bengals run it 3 times, use clock, and Pitt gets the ball back and scores, people scream about you being too conservative, but if you call a pass, and Burrow is sacked/fumble/INT - people scream "What are you doing, run the ball - use the clock!".

With a 2 score lead, I think running it was the right call.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes I believe I was all over that

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st downs use the clock too.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If the Bengals run it 3 times, use clock, and Pitt gets the ball back and scores, people scream about you being too conservative, but if you call a pass, and Burrow is sacked/fumble/INT - people scream "What are you doing, run the ball - use the clock!".

With a 2 score lead, I think running it was the right call.
Yeah.... Not against every team - I mean, I would think you'd be more aggressive if you're trying to protect a lead from Aaron Rogers.... But with what Pittsburgh was playing with as an offense yesterday, a two touchdown lead seemed pretty safe.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah.... Not against every team - I mean, I would think you'd be more aggressive if you're trying to protect a lead from Aaron Rogers.... But with what Pittsburgh was playing with as an offense yesterday, a two touchdown lead seemed pretty safe.
Ultimately, you want that balance between running the clock and picking your spots to pass to ensure you get at least one 1st down to keep the clock moving and/or force TO's to be used.

I mean, you could always take a big show down field on 3rd down and if it's a long pass, and it's intercepted, it's not much worse off than a punt in reality, but the fact is, you'd like to see some mix of runs that create some space (not just straight up the gut) and passes that maybe move the pocket a little bit to allow for a couple of short/intermediate drag routes for high completion % options, or just an easy throw away if there isn't room to run for 3-4 yards.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, I hope they beat the shit out of JAX. that's a clusterfuck of a team if I ever heard of one.

they even let TEBOW go, the greatest athlete of our era.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, I hope they beat the shit out of JAX. that's a clusterfuck of a team if I ever heard of one.

they even let TEBOW go, the greatest athlete of our era.

I'm not sure what Jax is doing.... Why the hell did Urban hire Darrell Bevell to be his offensive coordinator? Why is that guy allowed to have a job after making the worst play call in the history of the Super Bowl?

My only fear is that maybe this is the game that Trevor Lawrence shows his potential. I doubt it. But you never know.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bates is out, which won't help, but they do get Waynes back. Awuzie is doubtful, so with the short week I am going to guess he is out.

Higgins to miss another game.

Reiff good to go.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Presumably, Lou is going to play a bunch of zone coverage and rush 4...... Lawrenece hasn't handled that sort of defense well at all. So, if our D-line continues their string of good performances, hopefully we can minimize the losses of Bates and Awuzie.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bates is out, which won't help, but they do get Waynes back. Awuzie is doubtful, so with the short week I am going to guess he is out.

Higgins to miss another game.

Reiff good to go.
If Bates is going to miss a game, I am glad it is this one. Jax can score some points if given a chance, but the way Lawrence is struggling, I would rather Bates miss this one over any other game. Bell and Allen can handle this.

Let's just hope we get our full defense back for the next game. Waynes, Awuzie and Bates with no injuries tonight. I would love to see Eli Apple not starting.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bates is going to miss a game, I am glad it is this one. Jax can score some points if given a chance, but the way Lawrence is struggling, I would rather Bates miss this one over any other game. Bell and Allen can handle this.
Agreed.

And the way this front 7 has stopped the run, you figure they can make life miserable for Lawrence with a bunch of mixed zone coverages and try to throw him off. Also, the defense has been good at getting pressure, as well.

There defense has give up the 4th most yards allowed. They are middle of the pack against the run, but are giving up over 300 through the air. If the OL can get Mixon going, things should open up relatively quick for Burrow to take advantage, even without Higgins.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what Jax is doing.... Why the hell did Urban hire Darrell Bevell to be his offensive coordinator? Why is that guy allowed to have a job after making the worst play call in the history of the Super Bowl?

My only fear is that maybe this is the game that Trevor Lawrence shows his potential. I doubt it. But you never know.
He showed tons of potential, but thank goodness we made some adjustments.